Direct TV / excessive charges for cancellation

I found my contract was extended when I purchased a new HD receiver at Wal Mart. I not only had to pay for canceling the extended contract early but also had to ship the HD receiver to them after I had paid $200.00 for it. I found out after I installed the HD receiver that I could only a few HD channels without upgrading the dish on the roof. The signal would also go out ever time it rained and I had to have a separate antenna if I wanted local stations for weather warnings when it was raining.

I went ahead and paid the charges and got Verizon Fios and have not lost service once since I started. The difference in picture quality was amazing and I have many more channels and features for less monthly costs than Direct TV. I will never use Direct TV again.

A  21st of Oct, 2007 by
If you are looking for contact information for Mr. Chase Carey, President & CEO of Direct Tv - please follow the link below. There you can find more useful information for your battle.

Also the Direct Tv Corporate office address is:

2230 East Imperial Highway
El Segundo, CA 90245

Tel. (310) 964-5000

Good luck,
A  20th of Dec, 2007 by
I totally agree! This happened to me as well! I got a new DVR receiver for for xmas last year. It was purchased through Best Buy, per Direct Tv's request! I set up the DVR service and was never told about any contract. I had been a customer for 2.5 years already. As far as I was concerned, I had met all obligation to any original contract. Recently I went to cancel my service. I was moving and found a better deal with Dish Network. I had to speak to six different representatives in the process and not one of them mentioned a contract or early cancelation fees. a couple of weeks later Direct Tv charged $185 to my bank account without my consent, knowledge, or notification!! If I hadn't checked my bank account daily, I wouldn't have ever known!! I called Direct Tv immediately and had to talk to two more reps. One rep said I had a one year contract, and the other said I had a two year contract - They couldn't even get their stories straight!! They told me the receiver wasn't mine and that I had to return it, even though It was a gift and not purchased though them. They sent the recovery box to my old address instead of my new one, and are still going to charge me the full price of the receiver while they wait for the return - even though it is their fault in the first place! My experience with Direct Tv has been a an ongoing comedy of errors, miscommunication and misinformation. I have sent letters, and I am in the process of changing my bank account so that they cant charge it when ever they feel like it! I will be calling the California Public Utilities Commission, in complaint of the whole situation and fees charged to my account with out my permission, as well as notifying the Better Business Bureau. I have switched to Dish Network and love it. I can be month to month and not ever worry about early cancelation fees again.
A  31st of Jan, 2008 by
I asked for their DVR to be installed when they installed their system. THEY screwed up, finally got it to me 2 months later, and now are telling me that I have to pay an early cancellation fee up to the day that they installed it for 2 years! When I asked to speak with a supervisor - they put me on hold.... for OVER AN HOUR! I have the cell phone record to prove it. Total time on the call to them was 1 hour, 35 minutes and 32 seconds - at which time THEY HUNG UP ON ME! On their website, they list their "partners" - all of the broadcasters that use their system. Every one (I think) of their "partners" list a physical address as their headquarters. Direct TV lists a PO Box!!! IN A DIFFERENT STATE!!!! Cowards, Cheats, and Rip - Off artists.
A  31st of Mar, 2008 by
My account keeps going up, I had a phone number fotr the presidents office and when I call now It doesn't work anymore and directs me to a main number. I would like to have the new phone number for the presidents office in Boise Idaho. This was the only place I got anywhere, I have been a Direct Tv custome rfor several years and now I'm getting upset with price increases and am thinking of switching to ATT Uverse which is alot cheaper with Fibre optics 200 channels, fast internet service, and Land Line, for about $100.00 please help, I'm on a fixed income, I thank you for the credit for 5.00 per month for 4 more months which helps but the new increase this month is eating it up.Please Help before I consider to drop Direct Tv. I have in the past got new customers for direct tv and never got a reward for doing so, it was before the new programs but still, better late than never, who wants to pay 70.00 to have tv service, I'll go bact to and antenna with a new 50.00 box if we have to, Please help.and maybe you can give us the 200 channel introductory price of 44.95 toatal choice plus with locals if you are able, the one pachkage on your web site. thank you, a sincerely frustrated, Louis Santoro of Ct.
A  9th of Aug, 2008 by
I certainly can relate to these complaints. I am having an issue as well. I suspended my services indefinately, because that's what they said I could do. They can't hook up the services where I live. The guy had the nerve to be sarcastic and say, well maybe your apartment office should have let us hook it up on the roof. I live on the first floor and I'm glad he said this over the phone, because the things he was saying, ---in person, I could have strangled him, not litterally. I purchased my own HD DVR at Best Buy, not DTV is telling me I'm under contract? Have they lost their minds. I hope the government is not protecting these clowns. If there is a lawyer reading these complaints, please help us put an end to this company ripping people off. Sincerely, Tonjia, Pleasanton, CA.
A  20th of Aug, 2008 by
I can relay to the complaints because I am going thru a difficult issue:
I bought the property at the first floor in a condominium in Shrewsbury, MA. I called Direct TV to install the satellite antenna. The condominium demanded that I need to take the antenna out because was not properly installed. I called Direct TV and they send the technician to take the antenna out. Then in two different occasions, I had to call the technicians from Direct TV to come to my apartment to install and des-install the antenna, because of issues between me, the 3rd floor neighbor and the condominium management. So, after excessive phone calls and meetings the Condominium decided that I am allow to put the antenna (because of the Federal Law), but I am NOT allow to put the wires connecting the antenna to my apartment located at the first floor.
I hired a lawyer to write a letter to the Condominium management demanding a solution. Unfortunately, I don’t have money to law suit the condominium and I am asking for HELP from someone. I am a single-mother-to be and I am trying to survive with my salary.
It is extremely stressful when I arrive at home and I can’t watch TV.
I called Direct TV to cancel the services that I had purchased 1 month ago, and they said that I am under contract and I will have to pay $480.00 for the termination fee. They don’t care about my situation! So, I am paying and I am not getting the services from Direct TV.
I need help! Thank you. Patricia. florsuave_rj@yahoo.com
A  24th of Jul, 2010 by
We have been with DIRECT TV for 3 or 4 years. I just called today to cancel service with them and was informed that there would be an early cancellation fee of $340 because they said my contract was in effect until December of 2011. Last December we purchased a HD receiver at best buy for my son for christmas. I told the best buy rep that we wouldn't be getting it if it extended our contract with Direct TV and was assured by him that it would not extend my contract. I told him that if they said it would extend my contract when I activated it that I would be bringing it back and he agreed that I could bring it back in that case. When I called to activate the receiver I told the person at DIRECT TV that I would not activate it if it was going to extend my contract and they agreed that it would not.

Now they are telling me that they can extend my contract without my knowledge or consent. I don't think so.

If they are running these crooked practices on me then I'm sure there are thousands, if not millions of others out there they are doing the same thing with too.

I'm going to start contacting some lawyers that specialize in "class action" suits about this fraudulent practice. I think I can find some that will have their mouth watering at the millions to be had from DIRECT TV.

You can defraud people for a while and get away with it but in the long run unethical practices will catch up with you DIRECT TV.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV