Direct TV / wouln't honor promotinal rate after signing agreement

United States Review updated:
Direct TV
PO Box 54000
$39.99 / mo ya, right!!! During our recent relocation I saw an advertisement for direct tv. The ad was offering a, 1 year, discounted, plus dvr, bundle package for $39.99 a month. The discount was enough for me to give them a try, what a mistake!!. When setting up service the representative lets me know that the first bill will be a bit higher because of prorating and assures me that I would be receiving the $39.99 promotional rate. During this call I am informed on everything except that I need to go online to submit a rebate in order to receive this promotion. My first bill is for $62.99, I call direct tv and they assure me that I will see my credit on my next bill and still nothing about going on line for my credit. Next bill $62.99 again!! I call again, then and only then do they tell me that I needed to submit the rebate, which I had 60days to submit and now it was 62 days (I was out of luck). I then ask to speak to a supervisor; I am then transferred around to several more cs reps until I reach sean the floor supervisor. He is very rude, belittling and interrupts me at any given chance. I am then informed, “there will be nothing changed on my bill and that there is anything I can do about it”. That there was no reason for us to speak any further, nothing will be changed. He goes on to inform me that it is not their responsibility to inform their customers on information that they should already know. How exactly was I to know this, it wasn’t posted anywhere on their advertisement, it wasn’t disclosed by their representative when calling and questioned the bill, just to be expecting the credit. He was very clear that I signed a 24 mo. Agreement and would have to buy out my contract if I cancelled, my account was what it was and that they would not honor the advertised price. Also, to let me know again that there was no reason to carry on our conversation. I regret ever leaving dish network. If others have same complaint, please email me at directtvhater@yahoo.com. I am in the process of filing a complaint with the bbb and attorney gernals office. If more cases similar to mine are presented, then a class action.

A  5th of Mar, 2009 by
I hope you are successful, DirectTV sucks and hope you get something out of it, good luck. Been a Dish Network customer myself for the last 4+ years, they have great phone support and when something doesn't work, they replace it (first DVR went out after a year). Only thing I don't like about them, and it's the same with every other company in the world, is that they treat a POTENTIAL customer better and offer them better deals than the ones that have been paying $81.99 for the last 4+ years.
A  11th of Mar, 2009 by
I got sucked in on the promotional rate too. I ordered online and have yet to find in any of the checkout materials that I had to do an online rebate. When I contacted customer service, they told basically told me "too bad so sad" as it was more than 60 days after the installation and I was no longer eligible. They are an extremely unethical company and I can hardly wait for my contract to end so I can discontinue doing business with them.
N  21st of Mar, 2009 by
I would like to join you both in this fraud rebate scam. I purchased the exact same package as Jennifer plus HD and asked them (and recorded their answer) what my monthly bill would be for the next 12 months. It took their supercomputer several minutes to calculate the bill and after 30 minutes of my repeating the question I was told $59.68 per month give or take a few cents for taxes that change. I am glad it didn't take more that 45 minutes as my tape was running out. Ok, this is December 2008 and the installation of two receivers took three weeks due to all the customers signing up. They could only do one room because the tech only had one receiver so I needed to order another receiver? (Pay for it and $200 to have them come back and install.) I must have complained to the right person as this was resolved on one call and they were back out in three weeks. While waiting for the second receiver I lost service for two weeks and the next service call was over three weeks away. Again, I got lucky and the tech that installed the second receiver fixed the cable connection that was wired poorly.
Now that I was glowing in my HD tv I thought I had already had my troubles times three, so we should be good to go. NOPE, bill arrives for $81 for the month and they tell me because it was a prorated partial month it was a little more than average. OK, as a compliant sucker I looked no further at the bill.
Bill number two arrives $83 for the month and now I am receiving their magizine for four bucks a month??
I say stop the presses and wheres the $59.68 bill? I only switched to Direct tv because it appear cheaper that cable?
Bill number three, March-April, arrives $188, I am charge four times for Showtime (which is free for a year). This is where I should have said - Good bye, but I don't. The customer service person tells me there was a billing error and he would credit me all $18?? I needed his name to submit to the world dumbest people that are still breathing. His supervisor, and obvious mentor of stupidity, finds the error after 30 minutes. Hmm four charges for one premium channel could that be wrong??? I then remembered my days working at Burger King where I would take customers complex orders of a dozen different sandwiches and special orders didn't upset us, yet I could within seconds tell them what their order cost. All this while slipping on a greasy floor and getting distracted by a dozen buzzers. At Direct tv however, where they have five items they sell, there is some quadradic formula that coupled with the stars alignment determines todays price. This price is an at-will price determined by Direct tv, its in your contract they say. By the way, can I get a copy of my contract?? I have yet to see a contract and I have never signed anything except for the installation.
Ok, back on track- I am now told that I owe $111 a month and there is no $59.68 charge because I didn't mail in my rebate? I guess the credits for the receivers and free Showtime didnt have rebates just the advertised price. They said I was too late to mail it in. When I told them I never was told about the rebates and where could I find this rebate form, just to see it, they told me it was no longer offered??
This is fraud plain and simple- I am disappointed in Direct tv as they were once a well respected company. I would be more kind with my comments if I had only spoken to one employee, but I didn't, in fact I spoke with 12 different employees.
A  31st of Dec, 2010 by
Direct Tv has the worst customer service. I regret switching from Dish network. They nickel and dime you with the program channels, their remote control is difficult to navigate, and their customer service does not aim to keep their customers. I wish the government would make contracts to stay with these companies illegal. Dish network- how I long to come back!

DirecTV Logo DirecTV