Direct TV / dishonest sales tactics

I have been a long standing customer with Direct TV (over 5 years). About 15 months ago I called in to cancel my service since I was curious about other providers and service. At the time of the call the sale representative encouraged my wife and I to stay onboard and Direct TV would upgrade us to HD Direct TV. I had notified the sales agent that the only way I would agree is if I did not have to sign on to another contract in the event that I still chose to leave Direct TV. The gentleman told us that since we were long standing customers we were part of a special retention program and would not be subject to any early termination fees if we were still not satisfied with Direct TV. I recently called to cancel and was charged the fees anyway.
My wife called customer service and after an hour on the phone she was told again that the fees would be waived. Now I have a bill and after calling again I cannot resolve the issue with any CS agents or their supervisors. I am being told that no one has the authority to waive these fees and that we were misinformed. One of the agents was a bit short of calling my wife a Liar. I have spent hours on the phone with no resolution. I honestly feel that we were mislead and are now victims of unfair disclosure of terms.
The agent told me that I should have read the fine print and read all agreements sent to me electronically. I didn’t feel the need to log every conversation with their CS agents since we had a long standing account and were considered long term good standing customers. What a way to treat their customers!

Comments

14th of May, 2009

When I first signed up, I asked if there was any length of time I had to have service. The person that signed me up said no. So months down the line, I go to cancel and I was told I had to have the service for 1 year first. It only had 2 months left so I said ok, whatever. So after the 2 months I called them, and the guy tells me there is going to be a 180 dollar early termination fee charged on my debit card on file. I asked him what for and he said because I have a HD receiver I have to wait 2 years. I currently don't have a job, my main reason for canceling. I don't have 180 even in my account, and they would charge me a fee at my bank, on top of possibly getting my money when my unemployment check comes in. They said it was on my first months bill. I don't know about anyone else, but Who reads all their bill over. On top of that, now I read about them taking out large sums for no apparent reason without approval. Someone needs to do something about these people.