Direct TV / required equipment upgrades

1 P.o. Box 78626United States Review updated:

We received a call from a Direct TV representative that stated we MUST upgrade our existing equipment by Jan. 2009 or we would no longer receive the Direct TV channels. This was a Direct TV upgrade and the Direct TV rep stated their would be NO additional charges or fees. Guess what? The bill increased. I tried cancelling their service and was told by 5 different phone reps that there is a $480. cancellation fee. I explained that we did not request the upgrade nor did we want it but we were told it was required to continue service. The phone rep even stated that the direct tv equipment we had was 4 years old and outdated and an upgrade was required to continue getting the channels but the cancellation fee was still required. I was never given a new contract, we were never told that with this new equipment, that we didn't request or want, would require a new contract nor were we ever told that to discontinue their service their would be this fee. The reps said it is in the small print on the back of the contract you signed 4 years ago.The only offer Direct TV gave us was a discount, back to where we started before the upgrade! After numerous call and conversations to the phone reps I have emailed direct tv hopefully I will receive a phone conversation and a favorable response to my complaint. As a consumer what rights do we have not to be taken by these companies.

Va

Comments

• La
      28th of Dec, 2008

I filed a complaint with the FTC about a similar issue. I will file a complaint with BBB as well. I think if the complaints get overwhelming someone will do something. I am going to encourage everyone I know who has had a complaint to file. I don't know what else to do but I'm looking into it. Let me know if you here of other remedies. A class action suitmight be in order.