Direct TV / contracts @ hidden gotchas

Phone: 8005315000

You'll enjoy this one!!! A brilliant business plan!!!

I've been a DirectTV customer for several years...never really had a problem with their service. Although a little more expensive than their competitors, I get the basic package that I pay for.

Almost a year ago (Oct 2007), DirectTV notifies me that I have to swap out my equipment becuase of upgrades they've made to their system. The upgrades in equipment would be handled for free and not doing so...would affect my service. In other words, if I didn't have them come out and change out the old equipment for the new upgraded equipment...DirectTV wouldn't work anymore.

Of course I said, "ok...change it." What did I care... They made an appointment and the service guy came out and changed the dish ( I remember him saying something about chagning to a 3 wire...instead of a 2 wire...or something like that) and he changed the box for the same reason. Still...no big to me. It didn't seem out of the norm for a company to upgrade their equipment.

In the last week, I called them with the idea of cancelling service. I was told that I was "within contract" because I had upgraded my equipment last year and if I canceled...I would be charged a cancellation fee!!! I discovered that when they upgraded the equipment...they hid a 2-year extension or contract on me.

I recapped the situation and how they "DirectTV" had requested and told me I had to upgrade the equipment and that I had never requested it be done. NO MATTER...they denied any chance of removing this contract period from my account saying...you had the option of not upgrading the equipment...I loved that one!!!

The fool proof way of retaining customers...tell them they have to upgrade existing equipment (whether they need to or not) and hide or play down a contract extension when making the swap.

I told DirectTV this scenario...but really...did I have too? They did it to me...and how many others have enjoyed this same treatment.

DirectTV...NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER...sign up for their service.

I'm looking for any advice on who, what, when, where, and how to get this situation resolved. I want to part ways from these bandits...

Thanks for reading and I hope you have an answer to my problem.

Email me: rsmith5202@sbcglobal.net

Bo
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

19th of Sep, 2011

yes basically...if they 'upgrade' your equipment or you get a new 'box' they 'automatically' put you back in a 2 year contract--its amazing...without telling you b/c its written somewhere in the 'fine print' tho i doubt it and once u activate your 'new equipment' youre put back in the contract---its awful...they could care less...its just another way they scam and cheat their customers...

• Ap
      9th of Sep, 2011

DirecTV is a bunch of thieves! I'm so displeased with their service that I canceled. Their contract was cheaper to pay to get out of ($300!) than to transfer my services twice (had to sublease while waiting to close on new house). I've called them FIVE times to send boxes to return their equipment.. and still haven't received them. I've tried 3 different addresses too, and still NO BOXES. Now they're they're charging me $575 for unreturned equipment - even though it's on them for not sending me the boxes to do so! [censored]s. And I'm not impatient.. this has been going on for 3 months!

31st of Aug, 2010

They are liars who steal and cheat hard working citizens and tax payers out of their money. I will never recommend them to anyone I know. In fact I will discourage everyone I make contact with not to use them. I am in Sales and I would never have treated anyone the way I was treated. They are a disgrace to the entertainment industry.

• Mo
      25th of Mar, 2010

"If anyone has heard about a class action lawsuit please let me know."

No doubt that there are others similarly situated with less-than-full-disclosure contracts. I'm on the same hook.

I don't think this contract is binding because ... there was not a "meeting of the minds reduced to writing." Basic contract law.

I'm not a lawyer, but if there are others, I'm interested in such a suit. I too had returned their "upgrade unit" but was told that I'm on the hook anyway.

Moe in Fort Washington.

• Nm
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me through signing up for DirecTV through Qwest. I was never told anything about the 340 Cancellation charges. They said they would bill my card on file. When I asked which one, they wouldn't tell me!

• Do
      16th of Feb, 2009

I wonder how many others have a problem with directtv underhanded approach to a contract that was not mentioned at any time before hookup or at cancellation. Today I've called 4 times and have spent a total of 46 minutes on hold and then disconnected. I was never told about a contract when I "bundled ." I received a bill for 340.00 for a supposed early disconnect. These people are ripoff artists.You can never speak to anyone about the problem because they disconnect you. If anyone has heard about a class action lawsuit please let me know.