DHL Express Delivery / Yellow DHL Truck Driver killed our dog!

About 2:30 pm EST August 9, 2007, my wife heard our dogs barking outside and then one screamed. She ran outside to find a yellow DHL Truck and a driver with a "who me, what, I didn't do nothing" look on his face. She went to our little black and white Rat Terrier "Harley" who was howling in pain on the side of the drive. She ran inside to get keys and purse to drive her to the Vet's returning outside she found Harley was still and upon picking her up found blood on the other side. There was nothing to do now. We have talked to DHL Express who said "accidents happen every day". The DHL Truck and driver belong to another company, Jordanaire, I believe, but I still need to get the spelling. I received a voice mail apology from the contractors boss. DHL admitted that if their driver had hit our house and done property damage they would not be responsible.

I Googled "DHL Driver complaints" while waiting to talk to the Sub Contractor and found another dog killed complaint against DHL from May in Colorado. So I searched Driver complaints against FedEx and UPS who deliver to us all the time. None found.

DHL is not responsible to you while on your property and is sheltered all the while driving in yellow DHL trucks.

D  22nd of Aug, 2007 by
I know this is unfortunate, however no one ever mentioned where was the dog?? was the dog in the road? Do you realize that if you allow your animal to run lose into the street and someone hits it, the driver is NOT responsible for the animal, HOWEVER the owner of the animal is responsible for the damage if any to the vehicle that hit it!

I also have 3 dogs that I consider part of my family but understand MY responsibility to keep them under control at all time.

Just a word of wisdom from the law corner!
A  1st of Sep, 2007 by
I know this is off the hitting an animal topic, but yesterday dhl was delivering a package to me... and drops it out of the truck in clear view of me... i was like, what the heck, luckily it wasn't anything breakable but seriously come on now... I've never once witness the fedex or ups guy drop something while bring it up to the house.

DHL Express Logo DHL Express