DHL / This is an awful company to be done wrong by

I had DHL ship a painting to my home in India (I am a british expat). It was shipped in a very sturdy container. The painting cost me 700 USD , a price which is well documented. The DHL delivery person delivered the painting exposed, on a motorbike while it was raining heavily. It was ruined.

After a very long and stressful process of emails not being responded to and attempts to fob me off completely, they have admitted their failings and offered 100 USD compensation. This despite the fact that they deviated completely from their own standard practices and failed absolutely to deliver as per the standards they set themselves and promise to us as customers. This is, to anybody with even a faint grasp of ethics, is totally unacceptable.

Their response sadly shows how utterly irrelevant we are as customers to these huge faceless companies. If I was responsible for damaging a customers goods through woeful neglect and complete deviation from the quality of service I had promised to that customer, I would have the decency to pay them for the damage my actions had caused. Not so DHL.

The sad thing is that the stress of having your shipment destroyed through incompetence is small compared to the stress of trying to be compensated or even recognized by the company that did it. The response simply adds insult to Injury. This is an awful company to be done wrong by.

DHL Express Logo DHL Express