CVS / auto-checkouts

1 NY, United States Review updated:

About a month ago, I went to my local CVS after a long day's work. I have been using this store for over 25 years. I was stunned to see several auto-scan checkouts instead of regular cashier stations. There was only one actual, human cashier who was taking customers. The staff kept trying to get us to use the auto-scans. I told the clerk that I didn't relish having worked from 5:30 AM (this was about 8PM) only to come into a store and be asked to do someone else's job for them. Enough already! We have to pump our own gas, ring up our own groceries and now check out our own items at the drug store? Are you kidding me? Is this economy, you are putting people out of work. If you'd like to offer a discount for customers who do someone else's job, then fine. Or if you'd like to come to my job job and do it for me, maybe we can work something out. But I implore you to get rid of the stupid machines and hire real people, who really need the money and the benefits. P.S. I haven't been back since.

Comments

• Po
      17th of Dec, 2010

Wow, you sure are a lazy individual, aren't you? And stupid, apparently. You do realize that those self check-out machines save companies money by not having to hire more employees. This helps keep them in business (and still keeps customers moving) so that instead of laying off half of their current staff to cut costs, they use the equipment so that they can cut costs without cutting any more jobs.

"We have to pump our own gas, ring up our own groceries and now check out our own items at the drug store?"
    Do you realize how awful this makes you sound? I'm sorry you're so pathetically lazy. The next time you need to make a copy on a copy machine, you should just hand-write it so that the machine isn't doing the job for you. Is it that ###ing hard for you to pump your own gas? Maybe someone should follow you home and make dinner for you? You are sad.