Classmates / unauthorized charge

Fraud of the decade: after having a free classmates membership for a year, classmates offered me a special one-year gold membership for $19. I accepted but after a few months I realized that the information on the site was stale and I planned to let my membership lapse. Classmates had other ideas, however.

Without my knowledge or authorization, they billed my paypal account $39 for an annual subscription. I emailed classmates a half-dozen times and each time they responded with the same "canned" email: they were sorry that I canceled my membership but I should continue to enjoy the service for the next year —
In other words, "screw you, sucker!"

I filed a complaint with paypal but they dismissed my claim for an absurd reason that was pure double talk and had nothing to do with unauthorized use of my account.

I wrote my state attorney general's office asking them to investigate classmates. This company must be put out of business.

Comments

• Al
      13th of Oct, 2010

read the fine print, like every other website out there, once you subscribe - you automatically renew. you have no recourse unless you call beforehand and have written proof.

its all on you buddy.

• Ce
      24th of Aug, 2015

Someone sign me up to a site called Clasmates.I didnt authorize this used my credit card..Please remove me from this > Please return my money back to my checking account..Thanks Cecilia Lee...