Menu
Classmates
reviews & complaints

Classmates
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

79 complaints
43 resolved 36 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Classmates. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
G
5:41 pm EST

Classmates - cancel membership

I am so tired of classmates.com continually charging my account when I only signup for a 7 day membership.

S
Nov 30, 2015 4:07 am EST

It isn't please can I have my money back ... after all the BS I've taken from Classmates I think they will be very surprised, if the Government won't shut these crooks down, then the Government won't care when we do. I'll be just as professional as you are.

M
Dec 15, 2014 1:25 pm EST

Why was I not notifid about this billing? You took my money with out me agreeing to it. I CANT AFORD IT, I dont want it. I would like it back NOW. I have not been at that Web site. You just put me in a bind. I know you dont care what happens aslong as you get your money. It would be nice if you notifided me about this bill. Please can I get my $39.00 back. Thank You Mike

K
1:29 pm EST

Classmates - took $39 out of my account without authorization

Do not subscribe to Classmates.com. As you can see from the comments that this company takes money out of your account or makes charges that they are authorized to. I hope someone has a law suit going that will stop this. Beware of Classmates.com and the phone number is [protected] for them. I have never used this service so I am paying $39.00 for a service that I have not and will use. I have notified my bank to stop payment on this unauthorized charge and I am hoping they can do that. Final notice beware of Classmates.com.

M
2:43 am EST

Classmates - no way to cancel

The telephone number you have to call is not an 800 number, so I have been calling and the wait time is forever, no way to get through to them.
I tried on-line and still no way to cancel.
They charged my credit card, which is how I knew they were signing me up for another year.
I tried to file a complaint with the credit card company, because the credit card they had, had been cancelled, but I guess
The credit card company automatically transfers to the new credit card. But they filed my complaint to classmates, and guess what classmares said I did not contact them... How is that possible?

5:17 pm EST

Classmates - billing

I signed up with classmates a few years ago. If you don't want them to charge your credit card, then cancel your membership via phone [protected]) and get a cancellation number to give to the credit card company if they charge you the following year. You can not get a refund until you cancel them prior to your renewal. You and I will have to eat the charge until you do the cancellation. I included their phone number and also go to your personal/account page and delete any credit card info you have on their. Make sure to keep the cancellation number someplace to give to the credit cared company incase they charge you the following year.

Oct 27, 2009 9:31 am EDT

please cancel this should have been canceled over a year ago i don't know what happened. IMMEDIATELY

Hide full review

Classmates - automatic billing without my permission

They say I signed up for trial membership of $9.99 a year and was automatically renewed after one year and billed my credit card $39.00. I did not sign up for a trial membership as I had not used classmates.com for several years. I called and talked to a representative and he said he would cancel my subscription and I would have to call my credit card company. I did call my credit card company and they disputed the charge but classmates.com would not refund my $39.00 and now I am stuck paying this. Lori, Santa Maria, CA

Jun 12, 2011 1:56 pm EDT

THEY WITHDREW 39.00 FROM MY BANK ACCT WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION WHICH OVERDRAWN MY ACCT I DEMAND THAT MONEY TO BE PUT BACK INTO MY ACCT PROMPTLY. I HAVE NEVER WENT INTO THIS WEBSITE ENOUGH TO PAY 39.00 FOR IT. I HAVE CONTACTED MY BACK TO RECTIFY THIS SITUATION.I ONLY TRIED FOR THE 1 YR AND WASNT IMPRESSED WITH IT.NO MONEY SHOULD EVER BE TAKEN FROM MY ACCT WITHOUT ME AUTHORIZING IT.PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY AND IVE BEEN ISSUED A NEW CARD SO YOU CAN NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.PLEASE RETURN THE M ONEY TO MY ACCT IMMEDIATELY SO I WANT HAVE TO TAKE OTHER MEASURES TO REMEDY THIS SITUATION SO FAR YOU HAVE COST ME 70.00 WHICH INCLUDES THE SERVICE CHARGE IVE BEEN CHARGED BY THE BANK.

N
12:23 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Classmates - charging for service never received.

My complaint is the same as everyone else's. I succumbed to the 9.99 offer for an annual membership last year and never authorized automatic renewal. I cannot reach them by email or phone. It seems the only way to dispute a charge is by first logging in. Since my account has never been accessible, I can't do that.

This month's credit card bill showed a charge of 39.99 from Classmates.com. I have disputed the charge with my credit card company but they have not responded.

S
5:37 pm EST

Classmates - unauthorized auto renewal

Classmates auto renewed my account prior to the end of membership. I called to tell them no, I am not interested in continuing my membership and please refund my money (Yes, I had gone in before calling them to change my renewal to "manual" and remove my cc information).
Classmates basically tole me tough - we will be glad to cancel your account in 2011!
I then got in touch with my bank to explain what had happened and to dispute the charge - "auto renewal prior to the end of the current membership - membership cancellation request denied - refund denied" and was pretty much told the same thing - tough! Jp morgan chase must be in cahoots with classmates - they told me that I am "under contract" with them - regardless of whether or not I wanted to continue the membership! All of this happened while the charge was still pending in my account!
Beware! My only recourse now is reporting them to the bbb and i'm out the $39.00...

May 25, 2011 3:56 pm EDT

In the past I have renewed my classmates account twice...last time was july 2010 using their seldom seen $9.95 per year deal (this offer will pop up when you go thru the renewal process but then decide to not finalize...log off and up pops the $9.95 per year offer)...i exercised it using a credit card I knew would expire well before the next classmates renewal date.

T
10:06 pm EST

Classmates - automatic renewal billing

Classmates.com recently charged my credit card for a yearly renewal automatically without notice. I updated my profile several months ago and I thought I had changed the automatic to manual payment for renewal. According to classmates.com it's too bad and I am out the $39.00 bucks whether I use their site or not. I am under the impression that some states have passed laws against automatic renewals without authorization by the subscriber. If not it should be!

Mar 26, 2011 11:14 pm EDT

I just found the same charge on my credit card, placed there by Classmates last month when my membership expired. I had renewed my account in February/March of 2010 when it was still Classmates and not Memory Lane. I have not visited the site since shortly after I renewed the membership. I never made an agreement with Memory Lane and when I renewed my account last year there was no automatic renewal. Now they have me wrapped into some automatic renewal agreement with Memory Lane that I never agreed to or knew about until today (never received an email from them either). How could I know that I needed to opt out before my 2010 membership expired if I never visit their site? It's not mandatory to visit their site. Their site is lame, that's why I never visit it and I had planned to never renew my membership there after 2010. It's like they knew that a lot of people were not renewing their Classmates membership, so they found a way to rip people off. By the time you realize they took your money without authorization, it's too late and your card has been charged. Classmates/Memory Lane has a big surprise coming. My credit union is going to remove this UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE from card account and I will never give Classmates another dime. My husband also removed his account. They screwed up and lost another customer. They are crooks! It's very rude to sneak people's money without notifying them beforehand, so they can opt out; and then to give people the proverbial finger once you find out what they've done. Like we want to do business with them after their little stunt! Not! Looks like they another class action lawsuit slapped on them.

6:06 pm EDT

Classmates - illegal billing

On my latest credit card statement there was a transaction for $41.25 US dollars for a withdrawall on the Sept. 25 to 29th. This was not done with my approval.

W
Oct 15, 2013 3:03 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I quit Classmates as a Golf member in 2012. I have been charged each of the last two years? Why does this happen to me and as I can read, to many other former Classmates members. Someone has lodged a Class Action Lawsuit which I will gladly join if they send me the information required.

Wayne R. Moore
Ottawa, Ontario. Canada
Ki1 1J3

R
1:22 am EDT

Classmates - reporting unauthorized auto-renewing

Filea complaints with the bbb and attorney general-links below
They go under classmates online inc. renton wa 98057

Www.atg.wa.gov/fileacomplaint.aspx#online
Attorney general - washington link to file online

Http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org/

Oct 16, 2010 5:53 pm EDT

last 2 replies are spam

5:58 am EDT

Classmates - unauthorized charge

Fraud of the decade: after having a free classmates membership for a year, classmates offered me a special one-year gold membership for $19. I accepted but after a few months I realized that the information on the site was stale and I planned to let my membership lapse. Classmates had other ideas, however.

Without my knowledge or authorization, they billed my paypal account $39 for an annual subscription. I emailed classmates a half-dozen times and each time they responded with the same "canned" email: they were sorry that I canceled my membership but I should continue to enjoy the service for the next year —
In other words, "screw you, sucker!"

I filed a complaint with paypal but they dismissed my claim for an absurd reason that was pure double talk and had nothing to do with unauthorized use of my account.

I wrote my state attorney general's office asking them to investigate classmates. This company must be put out of business.

Aug 24, 2015 2:15 pm EDT

Someone sign me up to a site called Clasmates.I didnt authorize this used my credit card..Please remove me from this > Please return my money back to my checking account..Thanks Cecilia Lee...

A
Oct 13, 2010 8:04 am EDT

read the fine print, like every other website out there, once you subscribe - you automatically renew. you have no recourse unless you call beforehand and have written proof.

its all on you buddy.

D

Classmates - unauthorized charge to credit card

This company took $39.99 out of my pocket and called me to return it. Don't take no for an answer. Call every number and every executive personally. Email your states attorney general. Act like your crazy.

Heres my list of numbers - if they say no - go to the directory and randomly dial names "smith" is a good one.

[protected] (direct line to erik randerson vice president investor relations)
[protected] (classmatesmedia)

[protected]

This company is also called classmatesmedia and the parent company is united online.
Linked in is a great source for contacts.

You want to see the guy who have your money?

Try emailing

Erick randerson
Vice president investor relations
[protected]@untd.com
Direct line [protected] leave a message.

Don't give up! They don't want to deal with you.

3:31 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Classmates - charged on credit card without my permission!

I signed up for classmates.com several years ago. I only wanted to try this for one year. That was all I agreed to! I just discovered that they are still billing my credit card company! I have no need for classmates.com! Who needs them when you have free facebook! I hope that other people will diligently check their credit card statements to make certain that this business is not still taking money that has not been authorized! I'm as mad as fire!

A
Nov 23, 2010 3:39 am EST

I just found out the same thing has been happening to me. I ended my membership with Classmates.com in 2007 and they have been charging me $15 per quarter without authorization. I called Classmates and they confirmed my membership terminated in 2007. They could not tell me where the money was going or to which account. I have my credit card and bank looking into it. If I'm not satisfied with their results I will forward my complaint to the Attorney General's Office and see what they will do. I will also call a local news show to see if their complaint person is interested in pursuing this.

3:33 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Warning classmates.com is committing fraud!!I signed up for gold membership in aug. 1st 2010 and i have been unable to browse the website!I can only log in and get 1 page of my school members pages! I cannot email members nor have the full access priveledges as per my membership states!I have called customer services to get help and emailed with no...

2:26 pm EDT

Classmates - did not order

Sirs:
I was going through my emails ans kept finding some that were sent to me saying a school mate of mine had written in my guest book. I found three of them, I'm not a member of the class mate guest book so I went to the sight and sure enough I was listed.

I did not enroll in this book so I went to my banking on line and there it was where $59.00 had been taken out of my husbands checking account on 5-3-2010. I don't know how this happened but I want the money put back into the account.05/03/2010 POS Purchase 05/02 23:57 CLASSMATES.COM [protected] WA 508384 CLASSMATES. 5968 59.00 .

Please help me with this problem. I have already changed my password so whoever did this WILL NOT do it again.

Claida Williams

Jul 09, 2010 4:44 pm EDT

sorry i ever got involved with classmates ...just got a statement with the 39.00 renewal fee and although i called [protected] and cancelled the membership, i can't get a refund. if i had been told that when i got the trail membership, i never would have signed on. their service certainly isn't worth 39.00 ... guess i'll have to join the class action club, but i really don't expect anything fron that either

2:31 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was charged for another year on my credit card without my knowledge. They claim when I first signed up it was to be an automatic charge until I cancelled, yet they cannot provide me with any paperwork confirming that. I can't believe they would not send a renewal form just in case you didn't want to continue to use the website. When I called them, I wa...

10:21 am EST

Classmates - bullying/harrassment

I have been a member of Classmates off and on over the years. I recently in the last month or so decided to check out the discussion boards. I was not welcomed at all! I was called an idiot by a woman called Lynn Williams, an @sshole by Beth Hudon, , and I left their board, and started my own, , they continuedon my own board !The harassment and name calling didn't stop there! It has continued since! I found a friend who has helped me, she knew the ropes on how to report bad behavior, I e-mailed CM and so far nothing has been done. I have had to hit the ignore button so as not to see what the others are posting about me, , I hear it's pretty ugly! I have not used a swear word on CM, but know how to defend myself. Now I think I have been kicked off of my own board, for what? I am unable to post, it says I have to join in order to post! I did nothing wrong! I would like to have a telephone number to CM to talk to them personally! I am not done yet! There have been some laws broken here!

11:33 am EDT

Classmates - termination/cancelation of service

I would like to terminate and cancel my subscription to Classmates.com. Please stop automatic payments out of my checking account for $15.00 each month on this account.

Oct 23, 2009 4:57 pm EDT

Please stop taking money out of my account. I have contacted you three times over the last year to stop the deductions and hear evertime that it will be the next billing cycle. It has been a year! I call today again, and you in a meeting. Please contact me and make it stop and provide me a refund for every $15.00 deduction over the last year. Please take care of my issue now.

Oct 23, 2009 4:54 pm EDT

I have been contacting classmates.com for over a year to stop the billing of the $15.00. How do I get it to stop. I do not use the service and have requested on three differnt times for them to end the billing. Classmates.com please contact me at brouwer.1@netzero.com

K
6:53 pm EDT

Classmates - lying and unauthorized charges

I contacted classmates.com about a month ago. They were using my brother's name to entice people to join classmates. The problem is my brother Died March 26th 2009. Classmates contacted a friend and neighbor of mine, (That my brother's and I we'nt all through school with). I told them they were being Very fraudelent by telling people he was trying to get in touch with them. They would'nt even appoligize, Even when I told them They owed my family an appoligy for using his name. While E-mailing them I ask them to cancel my membership and never bill me again, (I tried to do it by following their directions, I could'nt make it work)
I thought they would at least honor this request, after what they had done. Guess What? They just billed me again. Now I'm trying to get them to refund that money. I would "NEVER" be a member of classmates.com again. Nor would I recommend them to Anyone ! My personal opinion ! "VERY POOR" Business practices.

H
Jun 15, 2010 8:35 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I HAVENT USED CLASS MATE IN OVER A YEAR. WHY HAVE YOU CHARGED ME? I DIDNT AUTHORISE THIS LAST $39.00. THE FIRTS ONE YES. WHY DONT YOU NOTIFY A PERSON FOR THERE NEXT BILL. PLEASE TAKE IT OFF. IT WASTNT AUTHORISE BY ME.

HOWARD HUEBNER

H
Jun 15, 2010 8:31 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

on my credit card i am charged a $39.00 fee for what? i havent used classmate in over a year. why am i charged. sounds like robbery to me.

howard huebner

7:17 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This actually is a story for the entire country - Two years ago, I joined a website called classmates.com - this site will let you find old classmates, get reunion info, etc - In the two years that I had this service, I really never used - So, I was just going to let my subscription expire - Wrong! This website billed me for another two year subscription -...

Classmates contacts