Chase Bank / poor customer service!

P.O. Box 15292Wilmington, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-477-6761

On 2-29-08, I mailed my monthly payment to Chase Cardmember Service. According to bank records, Chase recieved the payment, and cashed the check on 3-2-08. The check cleared my bank on 3-5-08. The payment was mailed 2 weeks early due to the fact that I was going on vacation.

On 3-26-08, I received my monthly statement that indicated that I had made no payment the previous month. I looked at my check register, and then my monthly check statement, and verified the payment had been mailed and received.

I then contacted Chase "Customer Service." Now there's a contradiction in terms. I was told that I would have to fax all proof of the payment to them, and it would be reviewed by the same department that lost the payment in the first place. "IF" my payment was verified, it would be reflected on my account within 1 or 2 billing cycles.

I asked to speak with a supervisor, and spoke with "Greg." who told me that no payment had been received, and it was my problem to prove otherwise. I asked to speak with Greg's supervisor, and was told that was not possible, even though it was during normal business hours. When I pressed Greg further to speak with his supervisor, I was called a liar, and told no payment had been sent or received.

I now have to wait 1 or 2 billing cycles for Chase to decide that they did receive and cash my check, sent a double payment to "Cath up" my account, and do all of Chase's legwork... all FOR NOTHING.

Comments

Sh
  5th of Nov, 2008
Am experiencing a similar problem. Made a large purchase last year with a no finance charge promo.

Have paid EVERY statement rec'd ON TIME & up to double the minimum so that it's paid off before the date accrued finance charges are due to be added on.

Less than $100 left to pay & suddenly a late fee of $35 which, when followed up on gets me the reply that I flat out "missed" a payment, and as a result $58.68 in accrued finance charges have now been assessed! Waiting for a return call from a "supervisor". After reading these other stories, not hopeful there.

It feels to me as if they claim a statement is mailed to people (which never, in fact, was sent) so that they can assess all these additional charges. If they aren't willing to remove these fraudulent fees, I'llpay balance in full next week, close account & wish them good riddance as they sail into bankruptcy history. Guess there's a reason I've always preferred their competition. I just wish someone could clue me in to the contact info for any gov't agency regulating charges being fraudulently assessed, if any agency even exists. Pathetic to add $90+ in fees for not paying a "bill" that was never sent (by them) or rec'd (by me).

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank