Charter Cable - 3m High Speed Internet / Intermittent connection

We have experienced ongoing intermittent cable connection with Charter Cable. The connection would be fine for a few hours and then go out for just a few minutes to several hours.

Our first experience with this issue was in January. Charter gave us the standard reply to recycle our modem to "fix" the problem which did not fix the problem. The second suggestion was that the issue was not with Charter but with our router. We disconnected the router and had the same intermittent connection with one pc directly connected to the modem. Then Charter replaced our modem rather than sending anyone to troubleshoot the real problem. The new modem did not fix the problem. Charter finally sent a tech. The connection was good when the tech arrived so he replaced the modem. The connection failed that same evening. Charter sent another tech who configured the cable wires outside the house.

We experienced issues from January until mid-April before Charter sent anyone to help us. There is no other cable internet provider in my area.

A secondary complaint is that each time I called to resolve this issue, the tech would pitch the upgrade to my high speed internet. These techs did not hesitate when questioned on why I would seek an upgrade because they can not fix the problem with my cable connection. The techs always stated that I could try it out and if that resolved my issues I could keep the service at the higher speed price of course.

The last is speculation. I think Charter is aware of the intermittent connection issues their customers experience with the 3M high speed on busy nodes. Either they can not make the 3M work correctly on a busy node or it is too expensive to make it work. Rather than admit to offering a broken service to customers they manipulate the customer into voluntarily upgrading to the functioning service at the higher price. An ethical company would bump the customers up for the price they currently pay and stop offering a broken service. People do not need to pay %50 a month for a service that works only a few hours out of each day.

A  10th of May, 2007 by
I have been experiencing the same problems and I totally agree with this complaint. Fortunately I have another provider in my area and I am planning to switch to it.
A  10th of Apr, 2008 by
Charter's connection keeps failing over here. Strangely enough, after calling them, the problem mysteriously goes away. They'll send a tech over to replace my modem.
A  26th of May, 2008 by
We have same issue as well, though we have the 5m service from the start. We have had ongoing intermittent problem since we moved into this home in Oct, still going on now in May. Unfortunately, we have no other provider and we need the internet to work from home. They have sent a ton of techs over, we've had one good one lately, they've replaced lines under the driveway from the pole to the house, lines under the house, etc. but feel we are hitting a dead end now, supposedly a lineman is going to look at the problem, but we never get any feedback and it just keeps going down. Just have to keep calling every time it is down, but not sure what else to do at this point. We are stuck with having to have a high speed internet provider and they are the only ones.