Certegy / check refusal

1 Ontario, CA, United States Review updated:

We attempted to purchase music equipment at Sam Goody and was told our check was declined by Certegy. I called Certegy and got no where. I was told our check was declined due to a potential fraud, even though the supervisor, Joe?, stated he could see numerous checks from out account that had been cashed in the past. All I got was embarassment and fustration - no real explanation as to why the check was declined. Always a "computer decision" but no real answer. Certegy has POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE - too bad so many merchants use it. Be careful were you shop!

Lq

Comments

• Nb
      17th of Dec, 2009

I just arrived home from shopping at Target for Christmas. I have had the same checking account for over 30 years and have shopped at Target since they came in. After loading my cart I wrote a check for $163.01 -- not close to 1% of what I have in my account. With many shoppers around me, I was notified my check was refused. Of course, the clerk had no idea why.
    I then spent 40 minutes on the phone waiting for assistance from CERTEGY, the company that refused my check. The recording stated it was refused for my protection against identity theft, so I knew I wanted to speak with a real person. No real person ever came on the line.
    I am furious that any system is capable of willy-nilly refusing my good check. At this point I don't know where to go or what to do. I will try again tomorrow, but I have a gut feeling I will not get a good response. If anyone has been able to successfully fight this unfair practice, please let me know.