Canadian Tire / exchange.

1 Sarnia, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Last February 6th my wife bought a present for me. It consisted in a solder gun. She bought it from Canadian Tire in Sarnia Ontario (the only one in this small city) . Before she gave it to me, she removed the sticker that includes the price and at the same time the code bars. Of course it was a present, so I was not supposed to know the price. Unfortunately this solder gun was to small for my job (truck mechanic).
Next day I went back to the Canadian Tire store and explain them that I needed the industrial solder gun, so I wanted to return it and get the right one, of course paying the difference and showing them the original receipt. 45 Since I started explaining my situation, I felt the difference between me and the rest of the customers. My mother language is Spanish, even though I speak English, I should have accent, I don't have blue eyes, clear skin, etc. and they denied the transaction saying that they need the sticker where the price is included in order to make the return or credit. The name of the girl who took care of me is Lynn and is not the first time that I have problem with her (some friends mine have the same opinion) then I tried to talk to the manager (his name is Steve) and he was worse than the girl.
My question is: Why when I try to return or exchange any type of tool I have the same problem, even if they are lifetime guarantee ? Is it discrimination? Do they practice discrimination in this store? Why only with customers who are minorities like me? . I asked to one of my friend who is a "real" Canadian to exchanged for me. And guess what? There was no problem and nobody asked any question. At the end I feel like a second class Canadian Citizen in this country.

Comments

• Mu
      24th of Feb, 2010

I hate when people use their race as an excuse for their poor experiences. Don't try to make people feel bad for you because of your race. Perhaps your "real" Canadian friends had a different attitude when they tried to return the product, or maybe they had a different cashier?
    Ask yourself something...why would you remove the barcode when the store needs it to scan? If you look at the receipt for stores it will tell you to bring the product back IN ORIGINAL CONDITION. That means barcode in tact. How else is another customer supposed to buy it? Is it fair to that customer to stand and wait for a cashier to try to find a number to enter into the computer when it was your fault that it happened? Your wife did not need to take the barcode off to hide the price as the price is not on the barcode. I hope that you have stopped shopping at Canadian Tire just so that they do not need to deal with you or your silly problems again.