Canadian Tire / worst customer service!

1 1735 Pickering PkwyPickering, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-686-2308

I came to Canadian Tire located in Pickering, Ontario to purchase a battery for my Honda Accord. I was told by the Staff there that I should get the MotorMaster for $89.99 + taxes. I came home and found that the battery was no different from the one that I currently own. I had a problem with the performance. I cam back to the store 2 hours later only to found out that they will not take my battery back. Their policy is that they do not take batteries back with no exceptions. The battery was brand new and I came back to the store literally 2 hours after I had bought it.

So the General Manager comes out and start arguing with me. I was with my wife and my baby at the store and I had to be embarrassed by the store stuff to such extent so that everyone in the store had to stop and look at us. It was ridiculous. I was appalled that the General Manager of such a huge store would treat us like this. I have been a customer of Canadian Tire for many years. I have a Credit Card with them and this is the service that I get.

I have to mention that it doesn't say anything on the receipt that car batteries are not refundable. There is a small sign on the side of the counter that says it and if you are not standing on that side of the counter, guess what? You wont see it. So you are basically screwed. I asked the manager what he wanted me to do with it, and he raised his arms and said that it was not his problem.

Comments

Ca
  9th of Dec, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

If you tried the battery (took off the caps) then the battery IS in fact NOT BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW means it was never used. If the factory plastic sealed caps were still on the battery points then you should have absolutely no reason to be denied. However if these caps are removed (must in order to connect the battery cable to these terminals) then you have in fact used it.

And in regards to the receipt. "Some Exceptions apply". Same goes for Tire Chains...

Mi
  18th of Feb, 2008

Obviously reading the proper documentation is an issue to many customers and this results to many unsatisfied customers who just simply cannot read or take the time to read.

But then again, u say
""I have been a customer of Canadian Tire for many years. I have a Credit Card with them and this is the service that I get.""
i'd have to question that in the many years of being a CT customer, should u know the return policy, or have once read the back of ur bill?

From where i see this issue, it was not that CT had humiliated you, it was urself because as i have mentioned above, ""Obviously reading the proper documentation is an issue to many cust omers and this results to many unsatisfied customers..."" and in regards to this, people were probably observing the situation because you were makin an issue out of it.

Al
  12th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Customer should be informed by a professional consultant about the battery to meet his needs and wants. CT consultants need training. The customer is always right

Re
  2nd of Jul, 2009

Yes, Canadian Tire in Pickering is the worst in customer service, not because of their policies, but because THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and I agree, they do not deal with customers properly. I will just explain this in my separate complaint.