Canadian Tire North Regina / car held for ransom by canadian tire

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Review updated:
4.8
this is a copy of the letter that I drafted to sent to Canadian Tire Head Office

I am writing to you to give you an insight on how female customers are treated by your automotive service department at the Regina Saskatchewan Canadian Tire North and how they held my car hostage.

On Friday, September 26, 2008, I took my car to your automotive service department at the Canadian Tire North in Regina Saskatchewan to have two winter tires replace on the front of my car. All seemed to be going well, but it was taking forever. Two males were working on the car and they would continually go back and forth from my car to others. When they would come back to my car they would again begin tightening the lug nuts. As they would tighten them the car would lunge forward showing that they were tight. This went on for quite a while until I finally exited the store and went into the service bay through the service bay outside doors asking these two males what was taking so long. They informed me that ALL MY STUDS WERE STRIPPED AND THEY COULD NOT TORQUE THE LUG NUTS AND THEY NEEDED TO MAKE A CLICKING SOUND TO SAY THAT THEY WERE TIGHT. Well low and behold well I was standing there the first one that they tightened clicked. I told them to wrap it up and release my car I would take it to my regular mechanic in Regina and have it look at it before I left town, I live an hour out of Regina. Then I returned into the service department and was confronted by they Service manager, Jim Euteneier. He informed me that they would not release my car to me and that it would remain with them until it was fixed. I refused to have it looked at by Canadian tire mechanics and wanted it released. Finally after phoning my mechanic he agreed to let me have it towed to my mechanic at Moleski Service Centre & Auto Parts Store just a few blocks away.

When I got to Moleski Service Centre & Auto Parts Store they inspected my car right away and guess what there nothing was wrong with my car. They inspected every stud in both front hubs all the lugs nuts torque out fine. I drove home and again had my husband re-inspect the tire’s lug nuts to ensure that they were indeed tight and he also could not find any thing wrong with them either. I don’t know what your company is playing at but I am going to inform anyone and everyone that will listen to me. I have written to our local paper and also have contacted The Fifth Estate, CBC Television. I think this would make an excellent informative television piece. I have it in writing from you service manager, Jim Euteneier, at the Canadian Tire North Store that and I quote “There is a problem with all of the front wheel studs. They will not torque correctly. The wheel nuts continue to turn as we try to tighten them. There may be a possibility that the wheel studs are stripped in the front hubs. Cust has to have the car towed away because she refuses to have repaired at Canadian Tire” and a copy of the receipt from my mechanic stating that “check front wheel studs – tightened ok”.

I think that it is appalling that a customer should have their car held hostage to your demands. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach every time I think about the experience your place of business has put me through. I was at the mercy of your mechanic and would have had no way to prove that the work they “said needed to be done really needed to be done”.

Totally upset and humiliated

Comments

To
  2nd of Dec, 2008
I have ran into issues at the North Canadian Tire store as well. Up until 3 years ago, the staff seemed accomodating & helpful. The issue which bothers me most isnt completely their fault, but the arrogance was upsetting.
I purchased over the telephone with my Visa, a mountain bike from the South store in Regina. I live 6 blocks from the south store & usually do my shopping there. I was out of town & unable to pick up the bike until the day after the sale expired, thus the phone purchase. When I went in to pick up the bike, the sporting goods staff informed me the only bike they had left, of that model, was a "parts" bike. It was not complete & they could not fill my order, but the North store had 6 of this model bike, still in stock. The savings on the bike was $150. When I went to the North store & explained the situation, showed my receipt for the purchase & had them contact the south store, (who had "supposedly" already called them with the situation), the manager of the sporting goods department told me "thats what you get for shopping at the South store... no we will not honour the sale price, if you want the bike it will cost you the full retail $350." Being a former employee of Canadian Tire South, I know stores move product between each other - honoring sale pricing to help fill raincheck & sale orders. When I mentioned to the manager that the south store could request him to help them fill their order & then they would be shipping the bike by courier to the south store (albeit at the south stores expense), & I am here now, which would make it easier, his reply was " I would refuse to fill that requisition, so if you want the bike its $350." Needless to say, I returned to the south store & obtained a refund.
Having worked in retail I understand customer service & you get farther when treating people with respect. I was not at all confrontational, abusive or ignorant during any of our conversation & I patiently waited while the manager dealt with other issues before me. I have absolutely no explanation for his arrogance. I can assure you his attitude will keep me from shopping there for many years.
Re
  6th of Apr, 2009
It's true that they hold your car ransom - I recently had taken my van in for an inspection and fitness report and ended up waiting for almost 4 days till they got the parts and "fixed" the air-suspension. I had an inspection report done from Canadian Tire, Ontario 6 months before and they said the van was fine.

Redy
Is
  28th of May, 2009
My Car is currently being held hostage at the South Canadian Tire in Lethbridge, AB. They quoted me $2000 to have their long list of problems fixed. The funny thing is it drives fine and to replace the things they say is wrong would cost me $100. They won't release it to me because I am not a licensed mechanic, and they will only let it leave the building if it is towed or fixed.

Canadian Tire Logo Canadian Tire