British Airways / ticket change and/or refund refusal

On March 31st, 2007 I contacted British Airways asking to change my daughter's return flight from LHR to EWR from May 24 to May 12, 2007. As they have plenty of seats available on the May 12 flight I did not expect any problems. To my big surprise I was told they cannot make the change and asked me to contact the travel agent who would be able to assist me. I offered to pay both a penalty and fare difference, if any for the change as we did not want our daughter who is studying this semester abroad to stay 2 additional weeks in London. British Airways insisted there is nothing they can do and the only people who can possibly help us would be the travel agency. However, when i have contacted the travel agency they explained to me that since this itinerary is already in progress the airline took over control of the record Confirmation Code 3VCIZX with British Airways. Furthermore, Sylvana from Expedia's executive customer care desk was kind enough to contact British Airways directly and explaining to them the travel agency has no control over this itinerary at this stage and kindly asked them to help us changing the ticket. Unfortunately, British Airways insisted they would not be able to make any changes to my daughter's return flight leaving us no option but looking for an alternative flight to get her home. By the way, Sylvana from Expedia confirmed she never heard of a case like this in the past, when an airline would deny their customer, who had agreed to pay a penalty to change a return flight to an earlier date when seats are available. Furthermore, British Airways denied us any refund for the canceled portion of this itinerary which was a quite expensive airfare to begin with in excess of $1100!

Comments

18th of Sep, 2008

Moral of the story - book with a decent travel agent. If you book one of the Expedia Special fares, these should be handled solely by Expedia. They are full of BS when they say they can do nothing with an 'itinerary in progress' as decent travel agents can manage this without a problem.