Best Buy / questionable service, or lack of from geek squad

1 Pewaukee, WI, United States Review updated:

I purchased a Toshiba lap top from best buy. I then went to geek squad to have an updated put in. My husband picked up the computer and bought a one year contract to provide any work needed for a flat charge. The following month I took my computer back in to have a program added. The geek squad called and advised that they were not able to do the necessary work as the mother board was going out. I asked how could that be, the computer was only 13 months old (just past 1 yr warranty) and that I had not had any problems with my computer. They indicated that this happens sometimes. I find it very unusual that they supposedly found this problem a month after the service contract was bought, and it didn't show up the month earlier. Also I have now had this same computer for over 2 years from when they said the mother board was going. I have had updates put in by others with no indication of mother board problems. Nor have I had any problems with the operation of the computer. I believe that either the computer was not diagnosed properly, or I was scammed as they did not want to do the work. I would like a response as to how this could happen. Sign someone up for a contract and tell them a month later they can't provide the service. Very, very fishy. Computer initiated 06/06/2014, still going strong - used everyday for minor lookups, facebook, photos, email. I would like to know if someone from Best Buy could explain this situation?

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 16, 2018

The clock has never been wrong, no is it wrong now - no issues for the last two years at all. The person who looked at our computer after best buy didn't see any issues with mother board. I realize mother boards go bad, however if there was an issue I would think that I would be seeing some signs of this before two years. Even now when I run diagnostics on my computer it does not show as having any problems.

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 16, 2018

My clock is not wrong now, nor has it been wrong for the last two years. I would think that I would see some signs of the computer not running correctly - not the case. I run diagnostics occasionally - no problems. Also after bring our computer back from best buy and taking it elsewhere - they did not find any problem with mother board. I realize that after a certain amount of time - yes the computer will need to be replace - just like any electronics. However I don't believe that my computer has, or had a mother board issue. If I had problems or issues I would not question the call, but with all the variants involved in the situation I think your geek squad either misdiagnosed or simply lied about the problem. I don't say these things lightly as I would not like to be accused of such.

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 17, 2018

IM NOT AN EXPERT, BUT I NOT STUPID EITHER. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK, WALKS LIKE A DUCK, AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK - I WILL LAY MONEY DOWN ITS A DUCK. COMMON SENSE. SINCE I SEE WE HAVE SOME SARCASM TO YOUR RESPONSE - I WILL RESPOND BY ASKING IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY FORMAL CUSTOMER TRAINING? IF YOU HAVE I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU GO BACK AND TAKE A REFRESHER COURSE. YOUR ATTITUDE WILL LOOSE BEST BUY CUSTOMERS AND GIVE THEM A BAD NAME.

Cg
May 15, 2018

Comments

• 9w
      15th of May, 2018

motherboard issues can vary depending on how serious the issue becomes
    you may not notice it all or you will notice big issues
    its a weird thing nothing real to say ok motherboard with just a simple notice of performance if that made sense
    motherboard boards do go bad
    as for why they didn't notice it before is a mystery perhaps they didn't check for it or wasn't picked up on
    eventually you will need to replace it
    one easy sign to know motherboard issue is the clock being wrong

16th of May, 2018

easy now I was not accusing you of anything
    just a thought if your such an expert than why do you need them anyway?

17th of May, 2018