Best Buy / questionable service, or lack of from geek squad

1 Pewaukee, WI, United States

I purchased a Toshiba lap top from best buy. I then went to geek squad to have an updated put in. My husband picked up the computer and bought a one year contract to provide any work needed for a flat charge. The following month I took my computer back in to have a program added. The geek squad called and advised that they were not able to do the necessary work as the mother board was going out. I asked how could that be, the computer was only 13 months old (just past 1 yr warranty) and that I had not had any problems with my computer. They indicated that this happens sometimes. I find it very unusual that they supposedly found this problem a month after the service contract was bought, and it didn't show up the month earlier. Also I have now had this same computer for over 2 years from when they said the mother board was going. I have had updates put in by others with no indication of mother board problems. Nor have I had any problems with the operation of the computer. I believe that either the computer was not diagnosed properly, or I was scammed as they did not want to do the work. I would like a response as to how this could happen. Sign someone up for a contract and tell them a month later they can't provide the service. Very, very fishy. Computer initiated 06/06/2014, still going strong - used everyday for minor lookups, facebook, photos, email. I would like to know if someone from Best Buy could explain this situation?

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 16, 2018

The clock has never been wrong, no is it wrong now - no issues for the last two years at all. The person who looked at our computer after best buy didn't see any issues with mother board. I realize mother boards go bad, however if there was an issue I would think that I would be seeing some signs of this before two years. Even now when I run diagnostics on my computer it does not show as having any problems.

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 16, 2018

My clock is not wrong now, nor has it been wrong for the last two years. I would think that I would see some signs of the computer not running correctly - not the case. I run diagnostics occasionally - no problems. Also after bring our computer back from best buy and taking it elsewhere - they did not find any problem with mother board. I realize that after a certain amount of time - yes the computer will need to be replace - just like any electronics. However I don't believe that my computer has, or had a mother board issue. If I had problems or issues I would not question the call, but with all the variants involved in the situation I think your geek squad either misdiagnosed or simply lied about the problem. I don't say these things lightly as I would not like to be accused of such.

• Updated by cgbenitez, May 17, 2018

IM NOT AN EXPERT, BUT I NOT STUPID EITHER. IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK, WALKS LIKE A DUCK, AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK - I WILL LAY MONEY DOWN ITS A DUCK. COMMON SENSE. SINCE I SEE WE HAVE SOME SARCASM TO YOUR RESPONSE - I WILL RESPOND BY ASKING IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY FORMAL CUSTOMER TRAINING? IF YOU HAVE I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU GO BACK AND TAKE A REFRESHER COURSE. YOUR ATTITUDE WILL LOOSE BEST BUY CUSTOMERS AND GIVE THEM A BAD NAME.

Cg