Best Buy Extended Warranty / extended warranty is a rip off!
Two years ago we purchased a laptop from Best Buy and also bought the extended service plan. About six months ago the laptop monitor began to crack, and we took it to the store and spoke to the geek squad. At that time they told us that this is a common problem with the hinges on the laptops but that it wasn't covered under our warranty because it is considered "accidental damage". We argued at that time that it wasn't accidental damage but that the hinges wouldn't move. The recommendation of the geek squad member was to use an external monitor.
We keep the laptop on a desk so we didn't argue the point and removed the screen so that we could use an external monitor. About a week ago we took the laptop to Best Buy geek squad and asked that they fix the hard drive because it had gone bad. The Geek Squad Manager told us, that because we had removed the screen, the hard drive issue wasn't under warranty because the laptop had been "abused". We explained to the manager that the geek squad had told us to remove the monitor when we brought it in for the screen cracking. He even admitted that the hinge problem was a common issue and that even if we had brought the laptop in with the screen cracking it would have been considered abuse, and they would not warranty the hard drive.
We went back and forth for about a half an hour and he told us to call the 1-800 number to get customer service to authorize the repair. When we called customer service they said that the laptop would not be warrantied. They said that they had no control over what would be warrantied because Best Buy warranties are managed by another company. They would not fix the laptop hard drive even though the monitor does not affect the hard drive condition.
We will need to purchase another hard drive or laptop to replace the laptop. Also Best Buy will not refund our entire ($300) extended warranty, only the amount for the year remaining even though they wont warranty the laptop and have never done any other repair on anything we have purchased from them.
21051 Haggerty Rd
Novi MI 48375
More Best Buy Extended Warranty Complaints & Reviews
- Best Buy - Return Policy - beware of best buy during the christmas holiday! 
- Best Buy - unacceptable repair and customer service 
- Best Buy - best buy won't replace or credit a defective product 
- Best Buy Canada - customer service (or lack there of) 
- Best Buy - refund delay for debit card purchase 
- Best Buy - repair service for commercial washer/dryers.
- Best Buy - never received item bbytx-805573981165
- Best Buy - repairs on pc
- Best Buy - webroot - cancelled - still charged for webroot - geek squad best buy
- Best Buy - stove purchase 18 months promotion acc#6035 3513 3036 9300