Best Buy / fraud and cheating

We bought my grandson an apple I-pod for his birthday about a year and a half ago. The guy who helped us really pushed for an extended warranty. He told us if anything at all happened to the I-pod it would be fixed without question, even if it gets smashed to pieces. Then he said if they can't fix it, it would be replaced, and if the same kind was not available we would be given an upgrade I-pod. Three hundred dollars for the I-pod and sixty dollars for the warranty, which we really could not afford at the time. The pod was recently damaged by a piece of the earbud plug stuck in the pod. We took it back to best buy, they said fine, gave us a receipt marked "no charge" and said they would call when it was repaired. One month later we called them and they said it wasn't covered. after a lot of time talking and the promise of a manager to call, but never did, we called corporate. We got shoved around for over an hour and then was told sorry charlie! My son picked the broken pod up at best buy and left my best buy card on the counter cut in pieces. I will never shop at a place again that practices false advertising and encourages employees to lie about warranties to receive a bonus for themselves!!!

Va

Comments

• Pa
      19th of Sep, 2007
    Best Buy - Fraud and cheating!

Just a warning to those who buy something at Best Buy by opening up credit with them. There were signs promoting six months no interest with new credit for purchasing products over a certain dollar amount. I wasn't going to apply for the credit since I have enough, but the sales clerk convinced me by emphasizing the no interest for six months teaser. So I filled out the application which he handed me and bought the computer. I've made two payments, but since I moved across country I just got around to reviewing my statements and found finance charges even though I have paid on time and am only two months into the six month promotional period. I called customer service to have the finance charges removed, but they told me that there are actually two types of credit accounts and that I had been given the wrong application. I asked how to get this resolved and was told that there was no way to change anything. I explained being told I was not going to have to pay interest and then finding finance charges was not a good way to run a business. She explained that this was a problem that had been happening, but that there was nothing being done about it. So I have paid off the outstanding balance and canceled the card. I'll probably never buy anything from Bait & Switch Best Buy again. If you do open up credit, just be sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

• Th
      6th of Apr, 2008

I had read that purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty was not really necessary. If the product you had purchased was going to fail it would most likely do so within the first year when the manufactures warranty was still in effect.

Wrong, the Gateway laptop computer I purchased did fail within 8 months of purchase. However Best Buy continues to have you return the product to their service department where no service is performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they tell you to get lost. You did not buy an extended warranty and there is nothing else we are going to do.

What a terrible organization, Best Buy.

• Da
      10th of Oct, 2008

On November 2007 we purchase an entire entertainment system, TV, DVD, etc.., at no interest for three years, The salesman at the Florida store, a very nice man, was very helpful in choosing the system.
    When he was making the bill he ask if we wanted the insurance to protect it in case of fire etc...I always decline that because is covered by my home home owners insurance...

Now here is how I got taken..I set up an automatic payment because I was going to be away for few month, I did not look at the online statement at each month because I TRUST THEM. But after a few month I received a past due notice, I decide to check the bill and find that the credit card (HSBC) had added the insurance I have previously decline. (done without my permission)

As a result they where charging $ 27.00 for insurance plus 39.00 fee for being past due each month that keep adding to my bill... UNBELIEVABLY DISHONEST! I end up losing hundreds of dollars! and on top of that, since I wast "late" on payment the no interest offer was cancelled, now I pay 19% apr...!!! ..BEWARE..!!!

It is a very well designed trap...

I made the call to the card co. and was answered on a very very far away country and it is very hard to make them get rid of that insurance protection plan.

It was very frustrating experience witch added many more gray hair to my head.

• Da
      10th of Oct, 2008

shady businness

• Na
      28th of Oct, 2008

OK THATS FUNNY ALL OF BEST BUY BUSSINESS IS DONE IN THE CONITINENTAL USA LOL NICE TRYING TO SAY WERE IN RUSSIA HAHAHAHAH FUNNY STUFF FUNNY STUFF