Bell Canada / bell. ca withdrew pre-authorized payment, when never authorized

1 P.O. Box 920, Station AToronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

In Early March, 2008, I had made a complete payment for my current balance and notified Bell of the transaction. On April 2nd, Bell withdrew the exact funds from my account through a preauthorized payment setup.

At no point have I signed up for preauthorized payments. I never consented to funds being withdrawn automatically from my account under any circumstances.

The withdrawal took place minutes before my rent payment (which IS preauthorized) was to come out; putting my account into overdraft.

If my account balance was zero, why did they withdraw the same amount as my last payment which had already been received? How were they able to access my account to withdraw the funds without my permission? If a signature was used, what signature was it (as it was certainly not mine; and preauthorize actions on this account require my signature)?

Bell claims that it is impossible that I did not agree to a preauthorize payment. They refuse to take responsibility for this action. They would not even admit fault at withdrawing an amount which has already been paid in full 3 weeks earlier.

Bell should additionally cover my overdraft fees, or provide some sort of apology for obviously violating my rights.

Va

Comments

• Dh
      16th of May, 2008

For preauthorized debit problems, see the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada information at: http://www.acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/FAQs/QAView.asp?id=249

It may be helpful...

Dave

• Na
      18th of Sep, 2008

Hi, I just myself was looking at my husband's bank account and realized that there was a charge, an authorized payment that had gone through from bell canada as opposed to bell sympatico which is the only service we have ever authorized them for. So I proceeded to call them and all they could tell me is that someone (my husband) would have had to authorize this with his signature. I know he never did this because I was always the one to pay the home phone bill manually through my account not his. And that suited him fine. He only had to worry about the internet. Could this be a ploy for bell to make sure all the bills are paid? Totally illegal... without autorization. Now that they have done this are they also going to automatically withdraw for the cell phone too. I am still dealing with this, have to go see the bank. They seem to think they can do whatever they want once they have your bank account number. There has to be a lot of other people dealing with this???/