GreatCall / Jitterbug Logo

GreatCall / Jitterbug

Having problems with GreatCall / Jitterbug?

+1 800 733 6632 (Customer Service)
+1 800 918 8543 (Customer Service)
10935 Vista Sorrento Pkwy № 200
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Jitterbug / great call

I went to my Auto Dealership (Dan Hecht Chevy-Toyota Dealership, Effingham, IL, and showed the problem to Jeff Mitchell) on 6/11/2020 as I could not get my contacts on the Jitterbug phone to transfer to my car phone. I went to the salesperson that sold me many cars and he always gets the numbers to transfer! The only contacts that will transfer are Lively by GreatCall and Call 5*. Today, 6/12/2020, I called for assistance - [protected] and I told them the contact numbers will not transfer to car phone and was told they can't help I have to go to car dealership - duh - I told them I did! I need to know why the contacts won't copy except the two manufactured names - after that it quits connecting. The company needs to investigate this problem.

phone

My service was cancelled and I returned all of their equipment within their time frame I never recieved the refund of $102.29 that paid for the phone which was purchased on 10/21/19. They acknowleged the receipt of the phones and said they would process the refund on 11/14/19. It is now 12/27/19. I ran a complaint through my bank and still the complaint was not resolved. This company is operating under fraudelent terms.

great call mobile lively medical alert device

The new Great Call and Best Buy's Medial Alert Emergency alert device is nothing but a fake perpetrated by the two companies Great Call and its parent company Best Buy have been selling and advertising how great this device is for us the disabled and ill.

As we have now been told after over 18 complaints that is not working, GC finally admitted that it is on recall as it is a deeply defective device and has not worked since day one. Both companies have tried to manipulate there way into an excuse to con the people who need a emergency device were all subjected to the fraud and lies of Great Call and Best Buy.

medical emergency device

Great Call has been selling the New Mobile Lively Plus as a Medical Emergency device, only problem is it is on a Public Safety Recall, it is all a defective failed device.

When i saw the Ads by John Walsh on TV, i knew he was lying as well as both the companies who own this phony device, Great Call and Best Buy. The device is sold under false pretenses as being able to:
Water Proof-FALSE
GPS-FALSE
Fall Detection-FALSE
911 Operator-FALSE

Nothing works and it is all a scam and con to sell to the elderly and disabled

customer service

I was all set to order thr Jittrebug phone, and when I asked the customer representative "can I add...

service cancellation

Purchased a Jitterbug phone for elderly man in 2008, when I called today 6/24/14 to cancel representative wa...

they kept charging me after I canceled my subscription

I signed up for the services of the company GreatCall. After a month I decided to cancel my subscription, and...

jitterbug cell phone

I received a replacement for an old (3 years) Jitterbug. The new Jitterbug Plus won't activate in my house nor my father's house. He decided to go with the 5Star device instead. Meanwhile, customer service says I should have sent the new phone back in 30 days for refund. I tried 5 times to get it activated. So I am shipping the thing back with no refund for it or for 4 months of no service. I guess I should have wasted more hours calling every day. They claim I never talked to Tech. Support, but I know I did at least once. Very frustating, because I can't even donate the phone, since no one else supports it or would sign up for an account to activate a defective phone. I cannot recommend the Jitterbug, since it is so expensive to start with and they make you pay for replacements "that may just not activate in your area".

Sue Weaver Oct 14, 2013

Hello nophoneservice,

I am with GreatCall's Custeomer Satisfaction Team. I was distressed to hear about your experience, and would like to investigate the matter further. Please call 760-602-6200 and ask to speak to Customer Satisfaction Department. Please have your account information handy.

-GreatCall Customer Satisfaction Team

very defective design - dangerous

They are new company with button unit I can push ANYWHERE and get help. Problem is their unit is NOT Sealed...

poor equipment

Defective cell phone sent; complaint made and wanted camera to work as advertised. Upgrade to a more expensive cell phone that did not work at all. Told that there were problems with the phone. Erased all messages, including court evidence. "I'm sorry". Never fixed after 18 contacts. Finally cancelled and now they refuse to reimburse. AARP sponsors: what a laugh!

Sue Weaver Sep 21, 2012

My name is Sue Weaver, and I’m the VP of Customer Service at GreatCall, creator of the Jitterbug cell phone. I saw your post today and hoped I could personally discuss your concerns with you.

• Ki
    king789078 Sep 21, 2012

Sue if this customer does not pay on time let us report him/her to the credit bureaus for free.

phone not workig with great call

Jitterbug worked fine until great call took over, phone would not roll back our minutes so every month we had to call and get manaul reset. This worked for about six months. Always a computer problem. Last month was told that we need to update both of our phones at 100.00 dollars a pop. Everyone that you talk to now doesn`t know anything about their phone or system. I switch to consumer cellar, get twice the minutes more phone choices and the people know what they are talking about.
Oh! One more thing, it took over 9 days and numerous phone calls to have my number ported over. Less than24hrs for antone else. Everytime I question this it was either a
Computer error or the wrong password. Beware!!! They are not jitterbug!!!

inferior product, they won't make good on it.

Have had their cell phone for less than six months. The battery will no longer hold a charge for even 24 hours (even when it hasn't been used). They said the battery is designed to only hold a charge for 24 hours so it should always be left plugged in. It held a charge for a few days when it was new. They wanted $42.00 plus $10.00 shipping for a new battery. Or they would replace the phone but they would then test it and if the charge did last for 24 hours they would charge me for a new phone. They make their phone sound like a good deal but it isn't. They even charge extra for voice mail. You can't get a special rate for a second line like most companies offer.

Sue Weaver Dec 09, 2011

We apologize that you encountered these issues, and I’d like to learn more from you about your experience so that we can resolve this for you and prevent this for other customers in the future. If you would like to discuss with me, you may contact me at your convenience at 760-602-6700 and ask to speak with Sue Weaver.

astonishing politics

I have been a customer of Jitterbug for almost 5 years and have called in MULTIPLE times for service issues, representative complaints, bill issues, fraudulent charges. The list goes on! I don't know why I've put up with it for so long, but I've gotten to know some of the people that work there and for the most part they are;responsive, curtious, and even compassionate. At one point I even had the direct number to the Director of Technical Support. Last week I had yet ANOTHER technical issue and asked for him, but I was told he was fired about 2 years ago. I began to pry and ask why, because he was probably the best customer services/technical support person I ever met. There was NEVER a time where my questions/problems weren't addressed in a timely manner. I was told the Director of Customer Service was the reason for his departure. The reason, I was told from the agent was because he was jealous that Dan or David (i forgot his name) was quickly moving up the ladder and he wanted to get rid of him, The CS Director would bring people into his office and pry for ANY reason to fire him, he would threaten agents and even create "deals" with them to turn on Dan/David so they could keep their job or even move up the ladder. I was told that MANY people have been fired because of this guy and everyone fears him. He has been able to keep his job after claims of drug use, he had an affair with the human resource manager at the call center, even having an affair with a married woman while her husband was stationed overseas. I mean who does that?!! For some reason, they keep him. I mean...who would want to buy a phone from this company when they allow ### like this be a DIRECTOR??? Something HAS to be done! After speaking with the agent, I IMMEDIATELY canceled my account. I asked to speak with HIS supervisor and the agent said that she wouldn't care and nothing will get done. Be assured, I will be following up with the CEO if I have to. This is insane! Buyer beware.

Sue Weaver May 18, 2011

Hi, Concerned JB Customer. My name is Sue Weaver, and I’m the VP of Customer Service at GreatCall, creators of the Jitterbug cell phone. I saw your post today, and wanted to personally reach out, if you have any questions or concerns we can resolve for you.

We at GreatCall strive to offer our customers a superior level of customer service and superior products.

As such, I would be very interested in speaking with you, either via phone or if you provide me with a direct email address, to learn more about your experience with GreatCall and Jitterbug and answer any questions you may have. At your convenience, you can please reach out to me by calling 760-602-6700 and asking for Sue Weaver. I look forward to hearing from you.

ripping me off for an extra month's fee

On January 11, 2010, I bought a Jitterbug phone for my brother who is permanently hospitalized as a near quadriplegic. He is also indigent, with Medicaid taking all but $35 from his Social Security as co-pay for his care. He also has two motherless teenage daughters.

I spent well over an hour with a Jitterbug representative getting the phone activated. I paid for the phone ($90 or so), the activation fee ($60 or so) and a month’s worth of minutes ($30 or so).

Ten days later a careless orderly sent the phone along with the used bed sheets to a laundry in California, and that was that. I called Jitterbug immediately and canceled the service.

A month later I received a bill for a second month’s worth of minutes. Jitterbug’s position is that their billing month begins on the 12th of the month, five hours before I bought the phone and paid for a month’s service. Why, I asked, didn’t their representative inform me of the fact that after 5 hours I was going to have to pay for a second month? Well, the minutes roll over, they say, so it’s not a problem. If I wanted 600 minutes, I say, I would have bought 600 minutes.

My brother had the phone for 10 days and used, maybe, 20 minutes of air time. But $180 isn’t enough for Jitterbug. They’ve gone to a collection agency for their lousy $32. For a year now they have been hounding a quadriplegic whose income for $35 a month. Nice company.

Sue Weaver Feb 11, 2011

My name is Sue Weaver, and I’m the VP of Customer Service at GreatCall, creators of the Jitterbug cellphone and service. I saw your post today and hoped I could personally discuss your concerns with you.

We apologize that you encountered these issues, and I’d like to learn more from you about your experience so that we can resolve for you and in the future. If you would like to discuss with me, you may contact me at your convenience at 760-602-6700 and ask to speak with Sue Weaver.

response from vp

This company preys on the elderly population, knowing they are not up to speed with navigating the web, or...

inacurate information/service

The sales department was great. Abraham in Carlsbad CA. The service was horrible. I was put on hold for 30 min. The staff was rude. No one could answer my questions. They always needed to go to a "higher source". Since I travel out of country for work and often turn off service while I'm gone. Abraham assured me that all I had to do on my return was pay a $35.00 reactivation fee which I agreed to do. After two days of new active service I put the phone on hold. I paid the full phone charge. I called upon my return and Jitterbug informed me that I had to return the unit to Detroit, MI (from Colorado) and wait for the phone to be returned before I could use the equipment.
I have trusted AARP for referrals; no longer. I have now canceled my AARP membership. I'm reporting Jitterbug to BBB. I plan to send the "word", in every manner possible, that Jitterbug is a mistake. I mean aggravation.

Sue Weaver Dec 20, 2010

• Tr
    TruthSeeker2011 Jan 02, 2011

Why didn't you read this website first before buying a Jitterbug phone? http://jitterbugcellphonescamsseniors.blogspot.com/

predatory unethical practices

Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)!! I purchased a Jitterbug phone as a gift. Jitterbug and GreatCall Inc. target...

customer service

I thought I cancelled my mothers Jitterbug 5 months ago. I had sent an e-mail to their customer service asking how I can cancel the account and did not receive any reply) and they never sent a final bill (since I paid ahead, and had a credit balance, I never thought anything about it). Now I get a call on my phone saying I need to call them since some mail was returned. Turns out they were sending mail to the wrong address (magically I got mail from them before I tried to cancel the account).

They let the account go for 5 months, presumably sending them to the wrong address. Who does this? Any other company would have cut it off by the second billing cycle that was missed. When I returned the call they tell me that you can't cancel by e-mail and must call customer service to cancel. I asked why their customer service did not reply to my e-mail explaining this I was told that they don't reply to customers who do not have an e-mail address on file. Something that is not disclosed on the site.

I asked why they did not call me before 5 months and he said they tried to call the Jitterbug phone 3 months after I sent the first e-mail. Since that phone was sitting in a drawer not being used, because I thought it had been cancelled, that was a pretty futile thing to do.

I set this up for my 70 year old mother, I paid all the bills, and I was the contact on every other occasion. Yet they called my mother 3 months in and did not bother to call me till they finally cancelled the bill at 5 months past due at which point they somehow remember that I pay the bills and call me for payment.

When I called customer Service the first customer service rep was AWFUL. The First time I asked for his supervisor, instead of giving me to the supervisor, he replied why should he do that since he was answering all my questions (though not to my satisfaction).

When I finally got the supervisor, after explaining everything and being told about the customer service I told him how disappointed I was at not having at least cut the bill in half (even though I think they should dismiss it all) he said he would not do that because he considered it all legitimate even though there was no usage on the phone, because a lot of people use the phone for emergencies only and have zero usage and I could understand that if I had the minimum coverage, but at one point there was large usage ($250 in the first month and we upped it to more minutes) how is that for emergencies only in this case?

If you are going to use it only for the pre pay it might be good but if you think you may need customer service at any time do not use them.

If you plan on skipping on the bill then use them as they won't cancel you for 5 months.

• St
    Stephenie Lavallee Aug 25, 2010

On behalf of Jitterbug, I apologize for the recent events that have occured with your Jitterbug phone. I would like to touch base with you to address your concerns. Please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you for your time in advance.

poor service

I bought two jitterbugs for my parents almost two years ago. Service went well for the first year. Eventually my fathers 3 button phone wouldn't work. Since I bought the replacement plan, I requested and received a replacement. However, it turned out to be a refurbished phone that never worked right. It got hot to the touch after a few minutes, took twice as long to charge as normal, dropped calls constantly, and never got clear reception. I sent it back and Jitterbug did a 'software upgrade' and charged the phone. They returned the phone after a monthlong wait. It still never worked and I complained again. They said turn it off and on, which I did. When it still got hot to hold, I returned it with all my contact information. After two months, and no word from Jitterbug, I called. They said I have to wait a whole year to get a new (likely refurbished) phone as you only get one replacement a year. When I said the phone was defective, they offered to return the old phone, and told me I still have to wait a year!! I will be changing my dad over to verizon in the very near future.

horrible company

Jitterbug should be shut down. Their billing is deceptive, if not illegal. They cannot provide accurate minute usage because they are always 3 days behind in collecting the info from other carriers.
They don't provide itemized billing statements. Outgoing calls take a minimum of 20-25 seconds of dead air space before you hear the dialed number ringing (because calls have to be routed through other carriers).
Reception is mediorce, at best.
Short battery life.
Their customer service "Supervisor" is extremely rude and consistently talks over you.
Jitterbug was an awful experience!

• Aw
    awakeandaware Jan 18, 2011

The battery runs down because the phone you have probably is working very hard to connect with the network. The company was on "net one" prior to transferring over to the verizon network which is called "net two" You'll need help from the Lord if you have an older phone with older software. The software isn't compatible with "net two" i.e. the verizon network. The net one customers are not told they need to update the software, which most of the time can't be done anyway. You'll just have to go out and purchase a brand new Jitterbug! Lucky you. If you call to cancel, you'll be fortunate to speak to a happy Account Services representative who will offer you a replacement for $49. even though it's the company's fault you can't connect to net two. If the rep is really good he or she will be paid $8 to "save" you. Most of the reps don't give a you know what, but money motivates the uneducated lazy reps and they'll do almost anything to keep you as a customer. Do yourself a favor and complain to the BBB.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices