Bank Of America / overdraft charges scam

1 Nashville, TN, United States Review updated:

We signed up for email alerts to inform us when our checking account was approaching 500.00.
Last week we got a snail mail alert (which we've never received before) telling us our account was overdrawn and
that we had accessed 450.00 in overdraft charges. We happen to have a savings account with them that unfortunately,
according to them at least, was not connected to our checking that would have prevented any overdrafting.

I called them today to ask about this and was initially talking to a girl who honestly spoke like a 12yr. old San Fernando Valley girl, it was extremely difficult to understand her, but after about 5 min. of being constantly put on hold while she pulled up my account I was informed that the last email alert they sent us was back in February 09, "well, I understand that, so why didn't you send us one last week"? "I dunno", was basically her response, I am NOT kidding...I asked her before she wasted anymore of my time whether she was in any position to refund these charges and that if not could she please just go ahead and transfer up the next rung to someone who was...she did.

I then spoke to a woman who instructed me that I should connect my savings with my checking to avoid this in the future and that as far as the email alerts go "we have problems in email addresses ending in .net and .com" I AM NOT KIDDING.
I told her, "well that must give you problems with about 90% of your customers I would presume..", "I don't understand what you're saying sir..." Once I got my jaw off the floor I told her that after reading about and hearing reports about B of A
in the news lately I wasn't surprised that she too, obviously was in no real position to approve a refund of these exhorbitant and fraudulent fees would she please connect me with someone who really was, if that someone even existed in her company...she then transfered me to Tony, who after dilly-dallying around with my issues proclaimed that Bank of America does not provide email alerts, (and they are called ALERTS) as a reason for someone to protect themselves from overdraft charges, but are merely a tool they use to "help our customers monitor their account balances".

I'm still reeling about this and am so totally disgusted with this corrupt and vile institution, I plead that our Government explode this unethical institution into a million parts...never to see the light of day again.

Comments

• Mm
      28th of Apr, 2009

Wow, sounds like you need a vacation! I have a bank of america account, I have low balance alerts, and have never had a problem! Sounds like you need to concentrate more on balancing your account, rather than focusing on the institute bank of america! They are not the people who bounced YOUR checks!!

• Da
      28th of Apr, 2009

We are casting a documentary about unfair bank policies. Looking for stories with complaints about banks. If you are cast we will pay you. If interested contact bellmartel@sbcglobal.net for more information. Casting needs to be concluded by May 1st, 2009.