Avis Rental Car / over chargered for cleaning

United States Review updated:

I rented a suv from Avis rental car back in Feb.2010 for five days well I called back to change my reservation from 5 days to 7 days without being told that I would be charged an extra $10.00 on top of that my card was charged $50.00 extra and was told the reason for that is because the vehicle was returned extra dirty with pumpkin seeds and the seat was broken which was not true. I called the local branch which nothing was done also I called customer service which finally gave me a $54.99 credit after I complained about my card being charged another $64.99 for the same issue by a different Avis . I also spoke to the Regional mgr. Sherry Edwards that told me she would look into it and give me a call back which that never happen I had to call her only to learn the Airport Avis told her they had pictures of the dirty vehicle and I told her i wanted to see them which that never happened.I was never contacted back and had to get my $64.99 back from my bank.

Comments

• Un
      17th of Jan, 2011

Alert: Review contract carefully! Sadly, I have another unhappy experience to report, fortunately didn't cost anything significant but a few minutes of our time. Our family arrived in San Francisco with an online Avis rental car reservation. The chatty, friendly rental clerk offered to upgrade the vehicle and we clearly responded that we wouldn't mind an upgrade if there were no increased cost involved, that we really didn't see any need to pay for a larger vehicle. Nothing was said regarding whether or not a car of the type we had reserved was available, either way. She offered that she could still perhaps give us a larger vehicle if we desired... and we assumed based on the prior exchange that her offer was without a cost increase. We said "Sure, fine, if it's possible, why not?"

We walked to find the car and were soon loading our luggage when by chance we reviewed the signed contract. We realized the contract price was significantly more than our online reservation. Suffice to say, we returned to the office, spoke again with the same rental clerk, and pointed out that she had charged more than our reservation specified. At that point she became entirely unchatty, and without apology or explanation, carried through to re-issue another vehicle in accordance with our online reservation. We transferred our luggage, moving over the kid's car seat, and driving away. We were sure glad we caught the price increase right away!

On reflection, we were astounded that the clerk went ahead and upgraded WITH A PRICE INCREASE when we had clearly stated that we wanted to keep with the original online quoted price. I have tried contacting Avis Customer Support only to let them know of our dismay, and still have yet to speak to someone except for an agent who only makes reservations.

We recently traveled again and utilized Avis, however after reading some of the other complaints on this board and on other websites we'll need to think twice before renting from Avis or Budget again. And, judging by other people's experiences we'll need to keep a careful eye on our credit card bills for the next few months to guard against over-charges.

Yikes!

6th of Jul, 2012

This was the first time my husband and I have ever rented from Avis and it will most certainly be our last. We were told to return it with a full tank of gas, which is pretty standard. We were told nothing else. I guess my bad is that I have never really spent the time to read any of my car rental contracts very carefully because most things are pretty basic. BIG MISTAKE!!! We have two dogs, which we don't generally transport in our cars much. BUT we end up wearing the hair everywhere. I have never had to clean a car when I brought it back, ever. We got notice today that we are being charged $250 for cleaning fee because they found dog hairs on the floor in the front. I am so mad right now I can't see straight. I don't know if there is anything I can do but I am certainly going to fight it. I will never rent from Avis again, ever! I have never had a problem with Alamo or National. But Avis just lost a good repeat customer and anyone within the sound of my voice or fingers. That is absolutely ridiculous.