AT&T Long Distance / charged for operator assisted call

Phone: 1.800.222.0300

Run! Do not walk from AT&T's services. There Customer service is completely incompetent Zombies. AT&T's new slogan should be "if it wasn’t for the customers, this telecommunications business would be a lot easier".

I am convinced that AT&T is SCAMMING folks for millions of dollars, just by forcing people to use 'Operator Assisted' calls caused by there own faulty phone service lines.

I was an AT&T customer for 20+ years but not anymore. Why bother? I recently had an issue with getting charged for 2 Operator Assisted phone calls to a legitimate phone number that I was able to dial prior, using the same exact phone just minutes before. The next time, I tried to dial the valid number, I got a message saying that the phone number was not valid and an AT&T operator came on the line to apologize and patch me through. This happened twice. I was thinking, Gee, How nice of AT&T, such great customer service... until I got the bill!

AT&T charged me over $50 for a call that lasted less than 10 minutes because it was an "operator assisted" call. This call would have normally been less than $1 according to my calling plan. Never mind that I was basically forced into using an operator, because a valid number all of a sudden became an invalid, that I could not dial with out there assistance! How insane!

When I tried to explain that I was forced to use the operator to make the call, the customer service folks all just read off the same script like zombies " this is an operator assisted call", "we can not do anything about the charges", "you made the call”, "you can not escalate the complaint”, "you must write in; here's the PO box address".

At one point, I asked to speak to a manager, I got a fake- manager du jour, who read off the same script as above, when I then asked him for his manager, I was told that he has "an OFF-line Manager"... Gee! I gotta get one of those!

AT&T is scamming people for millions using a shut-out client service tactic, with little recourse for the customer. Good-BYE and good riddance to AT&T!

Comments

• Un
      12th of May, 2009

I am not even an AT&T customer and I just got a bill for $46 dollars for an operator assisted call. I have no idea why or how I could have received such a bill. I called customer service and they basically said too bad, you have to pay the bill. This is crazy!!!