Argos / No cash refund after 28 days!

I recently bought a hair clipping set do cut my partners hair at home, saving both money and time for us both. We had the clippers 4 months and had only been used 4 times. The last time i used them resulted in my partners ear and neck being cut badly by the clippers, causing him great pain! The clippers had a 2year manufacture guarantee so took them back to Argos in Beaumont Leys (Leicester). After waiting 10 minutes to be served I explained the damaged caused by the clippers. At this point Argos only offered us a exchange or Voucher. I asked for a cash refund as it has seriously marked my partner's neck and ear. We was told this wasn't possible!!! We replied with the fact that it had a warranty and only had it 4 months and had been working fine up until then. They still refused to refund us cash and became very rude and abusive! We then asked to speak to a manager whom was not there due to being hospitalized, so was offered assistance from the second dog's body. Who was a much use as a dead dog! We asked for names of people so as we could make an official complaint. We was fobbed off with first names only as they don't do surnames (Amy and Shane). We just want to WARN future CUSTOMERS to ARGOS that if you purchase an item that runs out after 28 days you will not get a cash refund even if it's cut your head off!

N  13th of Mar, 2008 by
This isnt actually true, the staff at your particular store were incorrect, you can have a full refund by the way in which you paid, be it card or cash if the item is still in guarantee, you should only get vouchers after the guarantee has ran out.

If this item has caused injury as well then the store should have filled in a Haznot report and sent the item to head office for a QC check.
D  5th of May, 2008 by
buying a bike for my daughter being bought on the 2/05/08.and put away untill her birthday on 6/5/08 opening on the 5/5/08 and found that the wheels were all dirty the seat ripped and every thing else was out of the packets .not knowing what to do becauase my daughter who will be 7 will be expecting her bike .but some body has already used it.i payed a lot of money for the bike to make my daughter happy and am so upset at the perchase i have got my poor daughter now wont be getting her new bike but a second hand one i will be looking into this matter further to find out why argos has the right to upset a little girls birthday and memories of her first bike being broke.
D  25th of May, 2008 by
I bought a samsung mobile phone from Argos in dec 07, by April 08 the screen was unreadable, i hadn't dropped it, got it wet or anything, it literally went potty on its own free will. Argos sent it away saying it would take 14 working days to be mended, oh yes they then contact me after I have waited two weeks to say they would charge me £74 to fix it or I could graciouisley accept it back unfixed! I think not! I will take it up with head office and then use my customer rights and statratory rights.
Exactly what is a guarantee for these days??

Alison itsworthasking.com
D  31st of May, 2008 by
Re: The Samsung Mobile - if you do not take out additional insurance coverage on the mobile phone, then your guarantee is in the hands of Samsung. Argos complied with this by sending your mobile off for repair (the same thing has happened to me with a Sony Ericcson mobile). If the technicians at the repair facility determine that the mobile was damaged through the fault of the owner, then you have violated the guarantee, which only covers faults which develop due to the phone itself. The fact that they request payment for repair indicates that they have determined that the phone was damaged due to the user. Sorry, but you must have inadvertently broke it yourself - not covered by manufacturer warranty!

So, to answer your question - a guarantee covers faults which develop in products without any fault on the part of the user. If you still claim that the phone was not damaged by yourself, I would suggest paying for an independent evaluation - and, if they agree with you, then claim the money and repair costs from Samsung. Hope this helps!

Ps. Not meaning to be smarmy but... they fixed my phone.
N  23rd of Aug, 2009 by
under the sales of goods act argos should have fixed the phone if the fault was none of your own im having this exact problem with my daughters phone at the moment where i have phoned trading standards and they have advised me what to do

Argos Logo Argos