Amazon.com / terrible customer service people create mistakes that cost us money

IN, United States Review updated:

Amazon.com's supposed customer service is difficult to deal with. The Web site didn't offer the kind of help I needed, so I finally unearthed their phone number (cleverly concealed) only to talk with someone whose English was difficult to understand. He created a problem which resulted in my having to reorder. But following the "help" suggestion that explained I could combine orders (and thus save the shipping costs of the added item), I found that you can only do this if you manage to complete the "combine orders" in a nanosecond or less. If a minute elapses, you cannot combine orders. The second person I talked to was totally incomprehensible, and I really am not sure what we were talking about. The final result after a couple of phone calls, cancellations, reorders, and frustrating attempts to get the right book back into the order was that I had to pay shipping for a book that should have been on the first order (and thus not charged for shipping). Does Amazon perhaps seek out people whose English is so difficult to understand that customers wind up just hanging up and resigning themselves to do business elsewhere?
Mi

Comments

Ca
  20th of Aug, 2008
So what IS Amazon's phone number for complaints?
I have a complaint, too.
Thanks
Ca
  20th of Aug, 2008
I have had a similar experience.
Ck
  5th of Nov, 2010
Essentially to hide in a cave and send out disturbing emails that you can't respond to. It recently happened to me. I received an email from an "account specialist" regarding a purchase somewhere in the past. Problem is, however, they lock your account and you can no longer gain access to fix the problem. The customer service reps are completely clueless and know nothing more than you do. To make matters exponentially more frustrating you cannot contact these "account specialists". You can't email them and you can't call them. Evidently, unlike the rest of the modern business world, these people don't have phones. Not even the customer service reps can connect you to this group of people. So, they lock your account and accuse you of doing something wrong. And, to push your frustration to a new level, you can't contact anyone to learn about the problem or attempt to fix it. Welcome to Amazon.com. Yes, this is how they treat their customers. Much like criminals. It's an interesting if not inept concept of operating a business. Guess what Amazon, you aren't the only merchant on the internet. In fact, there are plenty of competitors that understand how to properly treat a customer. Perhaps the loss of my business won't impact you much. But it's obvious I'm not the only upset customer. There's little wonder why your ratings are in the toilet. Similar to many other over-sized companies out there who have lost touch with the customers who support their business. Keep ignoring it. The marketplace will punish you accordingly.
At
  10th of Feb, 2011
A lot of companies outsource their services, especially customer complaints. You are actually talking to someone in India most likely, hence the thick accent. Also, culturally people in other countries are not used to being able t complain or confront their superiors or bosses and find that Americans are not respectful enough of superiors or may be too whiny. I was told once that 50 degrees inside my house was not to be complained about. I immediately requested an American representative stateside to discuss my broken furnace. Politicians especially Republicans are paid big bucks by lobbyists to outsource our jobs and even our medical records which are read by techs and doctors outside he US. Our medical records and billing are done by India and other foreign countries. Talk about national security. All theses foreign countries know all about your medical history.
La
  12th of Jun, 2011
I purchased a refurbished ipod nano from Amazon. I received a very worn and used unit with no battery. Amazon refused to refund my money. Amazon is a flea market, they do not stand behind what they sell and do not care about their customers. If you buy online do not use amazon.

Amazon.com Logo Amazon.com