Allegiant Air / bait and switch

1 ft collins loveland, CO, United States Review updated:

My friend and I decided to go to vegas together. We book the same exact flight on the same days same times. I enter my credit card info into the site and hit confirm. The website says, "Im sorry this flight is no longer availible at this price." My friend gets a confirmation number and his flight is booked. I go back and try to redo my details and find that the price went up $60.00. Classic scam. DO NOT USE ALLEGIANTAIR.

Kn

Comments

Kr
  10th of Apr, 2009

All airlines use a pricing model that increases the fares with demand. This is simple supply and demand economics and has been in place as long as modern civilization.

I'll give you a generalized example, this does not reflect actual pricing:

An airplane holds 150 passengers.

The first 50 seats are available for 50 dollars. The Next 60 seats are available for 100 dollars, the remaining 40 seats go for 150 dollars..

If you purchased the 50th seat on the flight, and 2 seconds later your friend hits submit on that same ticket, the 51st ticket must be sold for 100 dollars, and you assume it is a bait and switch.. Every airline in the US has the same pricing model.. Most Sabre based reservations actually code the tickets in a "class" for example a y-class ticket and a S-Class ticket. Both tickets are for the same flight and same cabin, but the Y-Class ticket costs less because there are a limited amount available.

This model promotes maximum load factor while achieving maximum profitability..

It is not unique to Allegiant Air or any other airline..

So... Basically... Don't hate the "Playah" hate the "game"

Beeyatch!

Sq
  27th of Oct, 2009

What kramer has posted above is untrue! I went to Allegiant's website looking at fares from PHX to FSD for Thanksgiving week. The flight I wanted was listed as $109 when I checked on Oct. 23, but I didn't have time to book it then. So I checked back on Oct. 25, and it was $159! Fearing that it was going to be $209 the next time I checked, I booked it. Unfortunately, my daughter checked today (the ticket was for her) and it was BACK DOWN TO $109. I called Allegiant but the phone rep was very surly. She would have to rebook the flight, but I would lose my convenience fee and some other fee (Allegiant LOVES fees). So it would cost me $30 bucks to get the $50 lower fare. But before I could say anything, she hung up on me. Maybe a blessing. One interesting thing...this phone rep apparently is the CEO of the company. I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she said she is the supervisor! There's no one there who is more senior than her...no one else I could talk to. It's sad when businesses lose customers this way. I had never flown Allegiant before, and this was their oppotunity to make an impression, which they certainly did!