Alamo / bait and switch and treated poorly

Liberia, Costa Rica Review updated:
Phone: 242-7700

Alamo lied to us and pulled the bait and switch on a recent car rental. Here is the letter that I sent them regarding what happened.

I recently rented a vehicle in Costa Rica from your Liberia location. This was the worst rental experience I have ever had.
I will start off by saying that I made an online reservation for my 4x4 Terios and received a confirmation ( confirmation #[protected]). When I arrived at the location, I was told that they did not have the vehicle I requested, nor did they have any similar vehicles, or other 4x4 vehicles. They gave me the smallest car that they had and said that that was all they could do and they originally said that they were going to charge me the same price for the smaller vehicle. I showed them my reservation form (again) and told them that I had to have a 4x4 for where I was driving and that I wasn't paying the higher price for the smallest car. They finally said that they would drop off the correct vehicle at my hotel that evening. The evening came and went and they didn't show or call. I called them the next morning and went through the same conversation. They said that they still had no vehicles and they weren't sure why nobody called. Then, they said that they had several vehicles coming in and that I should call them that afternoon and request one of them. That afernoon I called and they told me that they had no vehicle for me and that I should talk to the Alamo person that would be at my next hotel from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (Occidental Grand Papagayo resort) because he had a vehicle for me. I went to the Alamo desk at 2:00 pm that day to find that nobody was there and was told by the hotel staff that the Alamo employee had left early. I immediately called the Liberia location and was told that they would have the employee that works at the Occidental Grand Papagayo drive my vehicle to me in the morning and switch vehicles with me. The next morning I went to the desk at 8:45 am and asked to switch vehicles, but he told me that he didn't drive my vehicle in. He called the Liberia location while I was standing there and told me that there were no vehicles there; however, he would definitely have me by the afternoon. That afternoon I went by the desk again and he told me again that he didn't have my vehicle and he tried to convince me that my small car was adequate for 4 people and all of our luggage and that I didn't need a larger 4x4 vehicle. I thought this was absolutely crazy. The next morning I arrived at the desk again and was told again that he didn't have my vehicle. Finally, that afternoon, they brought the correct vehicle. We missed three days of travel because of the fact that we didn't have a vehicle that we could travel in. I notified the staff of this upon check out, but they didn't seem to care.
Your staff lied to us repeatedly and deceived us and they were unwilling to help us resolve the issue. In the end, I paid the bill for a car that we could not use for 3 days.

Comments

Ma
  21st of Apr, 2008
I had an aughful experience on early april with alamo. I traveled from Quito, EC to Miami Fl and arrived at the airport offices at 2.00 am. I had pre-payed for 2 standard Size SUV. I was with my family and i had chosen the suvs for the confort and space they represent, not that i have to explain my choices.
I arrived to the alamo offices, and after a 1 hour line, i find out that my cars werent there and that they had not reserved them. I waited for more than an hour and finally they gave two van instead of my suvs. Those cars are unbelievably unconfortable, plus they were completely dirty (abnoxius). They gave me the cars, without having them cleaned nor taken care with small things as water in the windshield wiper tank. Plus, the manager was completely closed minded and with no attitud toward finding a solution what so ever. That night i went to Orlando and it was the worst experience ever.

Im stil waiting for an answer from Alamo.

Mauricio Mino.

Contract Number S00031p3
Ba
  26th of Aug, 2009
Similar experience with Alamo in Fort Lauderdale in May 2008. Had reserved a compact online. On airport pick-up they claimed no compacts available. Wanted us to pay upgrade to a large SUV or convertible. Insistently declined, and did eventually succeed in getting a small SUV for the same price as the compact. My partner and I are not easily pushed as customers...many people probably would have given in to these tactics. We probably spent 45 minutes late in the evening, after a long day of travel, dealing with this unnecessary situation. Will never rent through Alamo again, and, as I work in the tourism accommodation sector, will advise any clients of this experience.

Alamo Rent A Car Logo Alamo Rent A Car