Airtel / airtel refused to investigate id theft

I just discovered that an ID Thief purchased over $350 in services from Airtel.

After calling my Bank and going through the ID Theft dance, I decided to call Airtel to 1) Warn them that fraud was occuring 2) Try and cancel any unused service purchased with my debt card and 3) See if they would investigate it further and/or give me information on who used my debt card information.

1) The Airtel Reps that I spoke to told me that "it was ok, your bank will credit your account." Apparently they don't understand or care that a wrong has been committed especially as they are profiting from it.

2) No account was created with my name, so they claimed there was no way of tracking down the services purchased with my debit card. Although they allowed a user, under an account with a different name, use a credit card under a completely different name to conduct business. I asked them to track down the account of the person who used my credit card number, they refused saying they couldn't. Under any country's laws, they must keep complete and accurate records of all their transactions- what they were saying was that they didn't want to track down the user (their loyalties apparently lie with their "loyal" customers as opposed to the identify victims harmed).

3) They refused to investigate at all. They were happy that they received $350 of business, paid for by my bank. I can't understand how a company can operate like this without the Justice Department or FCC investigating them? As my bank credited my funds, its not like I can pursue them in court.

DON'T SUPPORT THIS COMPANY. Until they want to act as a responsible business, people should search elsewhere for their needs.

A  2nd of Feb, 2010 by
I completely agree to this- Airtel is extremely irresponsible when it comes to security.
After 9 years of using my telephone number, submitting my documents and address proofs when asked for, even receiving calls from airtel to confirm and reconfirm the data provided- I'm suddenly informed that my number is registered in somebody else's name.
How is that even possible??
There has to be a serious and major security lapse somewhere

Bharti Airtel Logo Bharti Airtel