Airtel / serious issues with customer care: prepaid to postpaid conversion

1 India Review updated:

I have been an old airtel pre-paid subscriber.
So now - I attempted to convert pre-paid to post-paid.
My number will remain same - [protected] (mumbai)

This is the sequence of events:
1. called 121 and all possible customer care numbers from my existing prepaid connection. all calls were automatically routed to pre-paid customer care. I asked for information on post-paid plans. I was told that I should call from a postpaid number to do that. isn't that rediculous??

2. went to airtel vashi relationship centre.

3. day 1: provided all proofs required as per airtel for pre-paid to post-paid converstion. paid the required amount for the 299 plan. I was given a sealed envolop with posat-paid sim inside it. obviously, this sim was disabled presently.
I was told that the pre-paid will be disabled and post-paid card will be enabled within 3 working days. fair enough!!

4. after 2 days: called customer care from my existing prepaid sim. no status updated. they claim that this process will take 7 working days. over and above that - they say that my pre-paid sim may get deactivated anytime and would remain deactivated for 48 hours before the post-paid sim is activated.
Important: when I asked for the direct number of the vashi customer relationship centre — I was bluntly told, "sir, we do not keep relationship centre phone number with us. if you need to resolve this issue, please go there physically!!". now as customer, you tell me - do you have time to go so far and the extra petrol - to go for such a foolish query!!

So it means that the "customer care on phone" and the "airtel relationship centre" have no communication between them and they have been specially designed to mislead customers to buy their services - by giving false promises.

#important: now - if I loose some business or job calls due to these 48 hours of deactivation of pre-paid — who will compensate me for this??

#all the above events happened exactly in the same way with my wife also - when she had applied for pre-paid to post-paid conversion, 2 months back!! so please do not consider my case as an exception!!

Customer care has been consistantly worthless and provides no direction, unless there are simple technical faults. it seems that the customer care has been specially built and trained to keep the actual airtel business people away from the the customers, and nothing else (just for their convinience and not for customers)!! this is not the first time this kind of calousness has been shown.

Airtel has no right to do whatever it feels like - like spending it's customer's time and money and not giving required information when asked for!!

I hope that there must be some way to address this with trai!!!

Comments

Sa
  23rd of Oct, 2007

It is completely true. Can you imagine- how much stress it puts on your HEALTH- when things like this happen- where things are completely out of your hands and you cannot do anything about it!!
Airtel just does everything that it pleases-
1. takes its own sweet time and controls our time.
2. makes us travel - due to THEIR mistakes or false promises.

When I had applied for Pre-Paid to Post-Paid ---- I was told that the SIM card would be couriered to me- which never happened. I had to personally go to the VASHI AIRTEL RELATIONSHIP CENTER and receive it after nearly 7 DAYS OF inactivity!!!

Is there some OFFICIAL instrument or body which can ease our pain???

Ms
  1st of Nov, 2007

We have a Post paid Airtel internet connection. Since 15 days it not working because of Network.

Bh
  7th of Jul, 2008

i want convert to prepaid to postpaid airtel.