Aeroplan / deleted points without notification

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I just found out, whilst checking my Aeroplan account after depositing points earned via another promotion, that Aeroplan deletes over 49, 000 points without notification. When I called up to enquire as to where my points had gone to, I was met with rudeness, veiled with indifference.

They clearly had record of my points in their system (which I had been accumulating since 1999) but were unwilling to return them to my account, claiming that I was sent a letter regarding my account. When I informed them that no such letter was sent (nor were there any emails) their only response was the insistence that, according to their records (which were erroneous) a letter was sent as a supposed courtesy to customers, . However, if the letter was not received then the onus was still on the customer to be aware of any changes to Aeroplan policy and that Aeroplan was within their rights to chance policy at any given time. So, what does that imply? Are we (customers) supposed to be mind readers or do we have to contact Aeroplan on a frequent basis to see if they have changed the rules on us again?

For the record, I have had the same mailing address and email since joining Aeroplan and am quite sure that no letter or email every arrived from Aeroplan regarding this issue. Had I received notification or had any inkling that my semi-precious Aeroplan points were in peril, I certainly would have done something to safeguard nearly 50, 000 points that I had earned through this mockery of a customer loyalty rewards programme.

Comments

• Wa
      26th of Jul, 2008

What's next? Maybe a week to use your points or they expire and a clause that says they can take your house if you don't use the account for a year. who cares what kind of policy changes they make and who reads the fine point and memorizes them. Point blank "SEND OUT A DIRECT LETTER STATING YOU ARE TAKING BACK POINTS BY SUCH DATE UNLESS REDEEMED OR ACCOUNT USED!". This is a no brainer to anyone except aeroplan.