Aeroplan Travel Services Logo

Aeroplan Travel Services

Having problems with Aeroplan Travel Services?

1800 361 5373 (Canada, United States & The Caribbean)
+1 514 395 0300 (International)
+44 800 756 3865 (United Kingdom)
+1 514 205 7273 (For The Hearing Impaired)
P.O. Box 23000, Station Pointe-Claire-Dorval
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Canada - H9Y1K2

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Aeroplan Travel Services.

Complaints & Reviews

Aeroplancustomer service

I just spoke with Sandy from the Aeroplan contact center with general inquiries about how to collect miles after I have booked a ticket already and travelled. I recently found my Aeroplan membership and decided to collect miles.

The agent was not professional, sounded angry and rude, as if I shouldn't be calling in. I felt like I was attacked verbally when Sandy threatened to terminate the call, only when I told her to give me one minute to login to my Aeroplan account online and find the link she was telling me to click into.

I would definitely not recommend Aeroplan to friends and family, just for their way of attacking customers with insults and rudeness. There are many travel points companies out there. I really shouldn't need to feel attacked and insulted after calling them.

Aeroplan — upgrade rewards denied - the purchased fare class for this flight does not allow for upgrades

The Aeroplan rewards programs offers eUpgrade points which you can use to upgrade your seats. However, when I...

Toronto

Aeroplanpersonal information violations

#Privacy is currently being help up. The term #digitalholdupprivacystyle is what happens when companies like Aeroplan tell consumers they have no choice but to have all financial transactional information be sent to Aeroplan from their banks like TD Canada Trust, American Express and CIBC.

No opt-out and it is mandatory if you want to continue with the program but none of this information is required to run the program, It is just a free data grab by Aeroplan with the express permission of their participating Canadian Banks like: TD Canada Trust, American Express and CIBC.

Wonder if the Canadian Bankers Association has any policies regarding #digitalholdupprivacystyle by its members.

Aeroplanno seats available

I agree with Lemon Daquise who says that there are no business class seats available to Europe. I struggled to obtain the necessary points to fly business class from Vancouver to Europe 10 months in advance. Since its such a long flight, this is the only way I could handle it, without having my knees up to my chin and trying to survive the extremely close quarters of economy class. The last time I checked, there was a business class seat on a flight returning to Vancouver on one day around midnight, which wouldn't have worked for me. Otherwise it was flying economy to Europe and business class for a short second leg in Europe, which would cost me business class points for the whole trip. The plan sucks. Not only do they charge merchants extra when you use an Aeroplan credit card, you get hit with expensive yearly fees, and you are at their mercy when it comes to claiming your flight rewards. I am ditching my Aeroplan card and my hopes in ever trying to claim rewards that are promised, but do not exist.

Aeroplanscam

Had an Aeroplan card since 1990. Program use to be the only thing that got me to fly Air Canada despite pitifully customer service.
        Just a bunch of pampered snivelling pukes work there. All over the hill so far you cant see their tail lights.
        The program has degraded over the years with the same sorry assed excuses. But today I go to change a flight reservation made in July because the dumb ### at Air China that I was connecting with kept changing their schedule until I went from a 2 hour layover to 9 hours. A story for another post. So I go on Aeroplan find new flights to connect to my new itinerary. The flights I want are there. but because I already have a booking I have to wait to change the reservation through the Aeroplan customer service pukes.

So now I have my new flight but Aeroplan mysteriously has absolutely no classic awards available. Thousands of flights were listed on their site the night before but now they have everything blocked out and I mean into next year. Air Canada and their scamming cohorts at A|eroplan will never see a nickel more of my hard earned cash.

Stay away from these companies like they have the plague.

Aeroplanno seats

Am an avid Aeroplan points collector but am starting to wonder if they are worth the effort: I have enough points to fly in Business Class which I like to do on very long flights BUT seats from Vancouver to Europe are IMPOSSIBLE to get even 9 months ahead of departure. Am thinking that Aeroplan is listing rewards that they do not actually have! I have tried to find out more about allocation numbers but noone is answering me from Aeroplan or Air Canada.
          Does anyone know how to get some attention to this matter???

joseph mohan Jul 23, 2012

i pay a premium for my aerogold card which collects aeroplan miles. but when i try to use these miles they tell me there are no seats. i'm booking in july 2012 for a vacation in mexico jan 2013. the agent has the audacity to say to me i need to book 11 months in advance. this is an absolute joke and something needs to be done about this aeroplan disservice

• Li
              lisa1don2 Sep 17, 2012

I have a major complaint against CIBC aeroplan. I am never able to book a seat on a flight! It would take 2 days to fly from Prince George to Nanaimo! Impossible to get anything over the weekend. The same thing trying to fly to Penticton. These points are virtually useless.

Aeroplantravel bookings

... Unable to book flights, nothing available for weeks at a time, another instance one day layovers in toronto for a trip to east coast??? Decided to forget canada, thought i'll try aircanada vacations so I could use my points, well, — not a chance, as well as 75000 of my hard-earned points aeroplan wanted thousands of dollars.. It actually cost less to book directly!! When I called aeroplan to complain I too was told by a supervisor (Probably the same person another complainant spoke with) that I should have booked last year.. Sorry rachelle, not everyone has that luxury.
            Judging by the internet, complaints about aeroplan don't appear to have decreased in over six years & it sounds like it is the same complaints over & over... I use my credit card on the premise that I am earning rewards that I can use at my discretion!!..
            I have requested cbc's marketplace investigate, & have filed a complaint with cibc... Please advise what action you have taken, or, if you feel that your complaint warrants looking into a class action lawsuit? I believe there is already one in place about aeroplan's expiry.

Aeroplanhotel reward

I booked a hotel reward for a specific date 1 week from the date of booking on Aeroplan's website. When the confirmation came through a few minutes after the booking I noticed that the date for the hotel booking was wrong and in fact were for the very day I was doing the booking. I presume this was a keystroke error on my behalf and so contacted Aeroplan immediately to make the change. When I reached an Aeroplan associate minutes after I received the confirmation I was flatly told that are no changes can be made within 48 hrs of the stay date regardless if a mistake was made in booking the reservation! I thought this to be ludicrous and tried to appeal to this associate's sense of reason that I should be able to change this reservation or return the points to my account because of this special circumstance. The Aeroplan associate said that she could do neither and the reservation is in place weather I use it or not! I asked to speak with someone else that can rule on this kind of situation and was told that there was no one available and that it would be a week before I would hear back from anyone. It has now been a week and half and no call from anyone at Aeroplan - although I did receive a questionnaire about my call on the quality of the service that was provided. I also wrote an e-mail letter to their VP of Member Services - Caroline Hagen which came back to me right after sending as her e-mail box is full!
              It is sad that Aeroplan has gone this way. I can recall the early years of the program when they were more closely aligned to AC and service was a paramount consideration to them. I suspect that the executives and consultants managing the company now have created strategies and policy's that make it difficult to claim travel rewards, or make changes without sacrificing points. As a business consultant myself, I believe that the design of this company executing a loyalty program runs at odds with the main stakeholders associated with them (Visa and Air Canada). Having said that, Aeroplan's parent company Aimia continues to show good growth albeit at the expense of some Aeroplan members. Good luck to those other posters looking for satisfaction from this company.

Aeroplanaeroplan miles

Aeroplan took my accumulated miles claiming it was expired. They claimed they sent me an email advising it, which I have never ever received it. When I informed I had never received it, the agent said it was my problem, not theirs. Then the agent said if I could let them know date, time, departure / arrival airport, I might be able to get the miles back. So I tried. However, when I called back with such information, the other agent said she couldn't help me and I needed to provide them with the boarding pass and tick number. Hell, who would remember that after 6 months? When I told her what the other agent told me, she said then I should go talk to that person as if I can control who I talk to. I am very frustrated and determined not to take Air Canada again unless I absolutely have no other choice.

Aeroplanair reward program

Aeroplan is the worst travel program imaginable. We used our CIBC Aerogold Visa for years - for the sole purpose of accumulating airline travel points. Over the last two years, every single time I have tried to book flights - usually months in advance to well known destinations - there are no available flights whatsover. Or if there are any (several days outside of our preferred dates) the travel times and amounts of stops are ridiculous, to the point where I would rather pay for the flight out of pocket than take those flights. I also tried to book a car recently using points - I wasn't even able to do that!!! even though there were loads of cars available to rent through normal channels from the same car rental company. Essentially I found I was unable to use my points for any flights that I wanted. As a result, I cancelled my credit card and have moved on to TD Visa Travel which allows you to use your points for any travel, on any airline, at any time you wish. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get rid of my Aeroplan points before they expire - another non-consumer friendly term of the Aeroplan program. Good riddance!! Anyone considering signing up with Aeroplan - DON'T DO IT!!

Aeroplanaeroplan cheats

My husband & I were trying to book flights using our Aeroplan airmiles. The seats for aeroplan members are very limited. My husband asked the Aeroplan representative why direct flights and seats are so limited, and was told that "because Aeroplan haven't released all the seats yet". What??? When your loyal customers saved all these air miles thinking they can redeem and book flights, and you are telling them that you're trying to hold some seats until later??!! Like the other people complained...they have the worst time, and many stopovers available for aeroplan holders. What's the purpose of holding seats until later? Do they want aeroplan holders to book crappy seats and flights for now, and change later when better seats and time are available, so that they can also charge administrative fee for changing schedule? This is not fair. We are loyal to use the airline, but are not treated with priority. Can someone from Aeroplan respond to this?

Aeroplaninability to collect rewards

Consistently unable to book flights using aeroplan miles, even when attempting to do so 8 months in advance. Also, unable to use pts to book hotel room in Toronto. Told they only have so many Aeroplan rooms available !!!?? This company is clearly misleading the public and there should be recourse-other than the courts-to address this sort of deception.

• La
                          larr Jan 16, 2014

I completely agree with the comments above but suspect that the only recourse may be a class-action law-suit against Aeroplan so they wake up and take notice of the growing dissatisfaction about their rewards program. As a bit of background, I live in Castlegar in the interior BC and our airport is served only by Air Canada (whose motto seems to be " We're not happy until you're not happy") so there is no competition at all. We pay among the highest cost per mile fares, land at the most remote and least accommodating sections of any receiving airports, and experience one of the highest flight cancellation rates in the country (our airports nickname is Cancelgar). Despite this, I have been a loyal Aeroplan member for ~20 years and formerly had great service and value from the program that offset my local difficulties. Over the past 2 years however, I have experienced increaing frustration with the inability to book Classic points flights even a year in advance to local destinations! Today I tried to book an Aeroplan flight for my parents from Victoria to Castlegar and return next August. Even though I recently achieved an Aeroplan dBlack status (which means I spent $50, 000 on my credit card and as a reward, will get more benefits and reduced mileage requirements), there were zero Classic reward flights available in the entire month either outbound from Victoria or return from Castlegar despite the fact there are 3 flights per day from the coast (and based on a lot of personal observations, I know there is often space on most of these flights). The best I could find was a Market Fare (which in my view should be renamed to "A Lot Less than Fair)" flight for 63, 000 miles, which means that I had to spend about $63, 000 for this "free" flight (oh, but hang on, I still have to pay taxes and fees!). This completely eliminates any of the purported advantages of the "new" Aeroplan "benefits" program because essentially, if you can't use the miles when you need them, they aren't much of a benefit. I am so disgusted with Air Canada and Aeroplan that in the future I will gladly drive the 3+ hours to the next nearest airport where I have some choice in what airline I can fly and can start collecting miles on a program that is less deceitful and controlling. I will also be cancelling my CIBC AeroGold card and going to a card that gives me more value for my dollars spent and more flexibility in flight rewards. To quote Howard Beale from Network "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Aeroplanlost movie passes

Aeroplan removed 4000 points off my account for movie passes on Nov.4, 2010 and said they sent them to me. I never received them and contacted them they were supposed to be reissued to me in Feb. 2011. I still had not received anything from them so I phoned a gain on June 17, 2011 and was told that i would be rebimbursed the 4000 points by July 1, 2011 to date they have not been put back on my account. Could you please check this for me and have the points put back on. I think this is terrible service!!!

James Board Jul 26, 2011

I had exactly the same experience: ordered cineplex movie passes in December 2010, they never arrived, I inquired, they told me to "be patient", i waited months, they said that actually there had been problems with changes in the system and many requests had been lost and they thought it had all been corrected but somehow mine not; and still after that it took them 2 more months to put the points back: no apology or compensation, and it seems impossible to actually use or redeem the points.

Aeroplanpoints redemption

I have had success booking rewards travel for the past several years... decent connections and total travel times until this year. Latest attempt to book a rewards flight from Winnipeg to Honolulu takes me to Toronto, Washington, San Francisco then finally to Honolulu. What a complete joke! For the amount I spend on my aeroplan visa to get 80, 000 points to use rewards travel to Hawaii I can fly United Airlines to Honolulu with one connection for $865.00. Keep up the great work Air Canada/Aeroplan...other airlines can pick up the slack when you cease flying!

Aeroplanunfair and hideous service

I have yet to meet anybody who is a happy Aeroplan user. I have wasted so much of my time with this company it's now quite liteally a joke. I have just spent several exasperating evenings with this peculiar business and I have a story that is so bad it might be entertaining.
                            Let start by saying I understand that if you don't lose your points and you book a bazillion years before you travel, they are the best deal for your mile in town. That's why I signed up. But people: it just ain't worth it.
                            They pulled the stunt on me about because we hadn't used my wife's/kids points for so many years that the points that I earned were no longer ours to use. We lost close to 100, 000 points. Apparently they sent me a letter. I suspect that the letters got lost in a move but the fact of the matter is, I really don't want to have to read all the crap that we are sent by such companies. Every normal business knows that a deals a deal and you don't reneg on people just because they like to save the points for a big trip instead of using them in little bits. Oh, and speaking of using your points...

Have you ever tried to book your flights? Omigosh. It is pathetic! You approach your keyboard with bated breath thinking: "yay, I get to use my points and travel to Mont Jolie, PQ for free. Yippee. So much fun!" Then you try. Then you try again. Change the dates, change the hours, postpone, ... I think they make about one seat available every 4 months for the low price... that's the one I actually signed up for rather than the new rewards that cost you way more miles. I remember one booking where I had to over night in Winnipeg and then Montreal just to go across the country! They give that to you like it's a viable option!

But on to my story... I promise to keep this shorter.

I book on line. Happy day: I book a multi city flight for the fam to go across Canada and it says it's all good. I enter pages of required info ending with credit card #. Oops. In the intervening minutes while the website processes the transaction the flights are actually not available anymore. Ummm okay: must have been booked by somebody else. I try another combination. Yippee! It works again. I re-enter pages of info along with Mr CC. Nope. So you try again. And again. And... well you get it. I call the Aeroplan Customer Service. (The next day because their hours are so restricted) Hmm... they see it is available but you have to pay $30 per person just to do it over the phone. But this is website malfunction. Ahh yes: you must call the web site customer service. Call them (the next day because their customer hours are so restricted for Western Canadians). They so nope. Call usual guys. Call usual guys. Nope: call web site guys. Call and I get to talk to Stephanie. Give her history and she says I can't book such a flight on the website. I say I am doing it right as I talk to her and the guys on the customer service says it is, in fact available. She says to book it through them, then. I say that will cost me an extra $30 per person. She doesn't see a problem. This is the normal way they do business. They are perfectly content to bate and switch on their customers and waste hours of their customers time as they try to apparently book flights on the web when the flights are actually not available at all.

Okay, I admit. I for the first time, started to lose it a bit. I explained not all that calmly but not abusively that they had wasted about 5-6 hours of my time. She then chastised me for not listening to her because she had told me that there was not a problem. This is the way things worked. I had to call the usual guys. Can I speak to manager. Put on hold for several minutes. No. He's gone. What's your name. Just one moment sir. I wait several minutes again and she tells me. Where do we go from here, Stephanie? I'll put you through to customer service. Wait several minutes. Get voicemail saying customer service is now closed. Did I mention that their hours are restricted?

This is where I give up. I call my bank. I tell them that they can cancel the cc that I put over $100K on every year that earns me the privilege of dealing with this detestable company. That's the one I've been using for over 30 years now. I call up "the usual guys" pay my $30 extra per person and hope that I can dissuade any and all who will hear: STAY AWAY FROM AEROPLAN!

Kafka. Pure Kafka.

James Board Jul 26, 2011

I have had similar experiences. I no longer fly Air Canada, there are better airlines and reward programs. It is interesting too how Air Canada has closed down all Customer Service areas for input and contact. You can certainly do several loops on the Aeroplan website without actually finding a way to make a complaint. I have asked Air Canada and Aeroplan for the details of their complaint processes, that I want to make a complaint, and they do not reply. They are impossible to deal with effectively, they have mastered the art of flushing and blocking the customer, oh, and ripping customers off without being answerable to any oversight or regulation.

• Da
                                Dave Bowwman Aug 25, 2011

WILL NEVER USE AEROPLAN AGAIN!!! If there were awards for worst web site design and slowest response, awful contact centre service, criminal points redemption algorythms - (up to 6 times the points requirements betweeen classic and classic plus rewards for the same class and level of service ) Aeroplan would be the clear winner in all categories.

• Ho
                                horriblyBadService Oct 14, 2011

I guess it's always good service until something goes wrong. Then you really understand how exceptional (or lack there of) the service really is. Sad I have been a customer for so long. Their slogan. "Aeroplan, losing one customer at a time."

Aeroplanrude customer service

On May 25, 2011 at @ 2 pm AST I was forwarded to a Supervisor at Aeroplan as I was dissatisfied with information I had been told at booking and discrepancies between Airlines as to when I was told where to go tthrough Customs and length of time they had given me was not adequate enough to catch a connecting flight. Her name was carol and she told me her Employee # 16112 (whether she was being honest I'm not sure) She was incredibly rude, she talked over me and was condescending with everything I said, she made me feel very small with her bullying ways and cannot believe someone of with that kind of a personality could ever be allowed to enter that field. Unfortunately after she started laughing at everythuing I said I stooped to her level, called her a nasty name and hung up with nothing resolved. I would really like this to be investigated.

Aeroplanmiles

Aeroplan claims it sent me an e mail in December advising that my miles were going to expire in March of this year.
                                I NEVER got any such e mail, in fact tracking my e mails the last one I got from Aeroplan was in October of 2010.
                                They took 293, 000 airline points from me. The Aeroplan agent I spoke to who went by the name Gord seemed to enjoy telling me too bad. Said even if I didn't get the e mail (he just fell short of calling me a liar) that it was in all the newspapers and on the CBC, problem with that is I live in the U.S. When I asked to speak to someone higher up he said there is no one else higher up. He then said if I want the points I can buy them back at a penny a mile. It would cost me $2963.53.
                                These points were for emergency travel and this is the way Air canada rewards loyality?

• Li
                                    linddaa May 13, 2011

Air Canada never had class. It was alousy airline seemed to improve for a while when it had to compete with Canadian but once they managed to take Canadian down now they have decided to take down loyal customers. Its hard enough to book flights with points, in many cases what cost 25, 000 a year ago now cost 60, 000. To do this is twos Aerplan and Air Canada are two bit operations. Shame on you. The satisfaction we will get is seeing Westjet eroding your service. Will Air Canada then start to suck up to their customers then? If they do we should turn on backs on them and work to support Westjets successes

• Dt
                                    dttss Jul 18, 2012

I had similar experience. They insisted they sent their email and said even if there was no email, I should be well aware of the policy as a consumer! I will never take Air Canada again unless I absolutely have to.

• Da
                                    dave granter Sep 09, 2017

I just lost over 42, 000 air miles without any kind of notice(no notification of any kind). I was sick for quite a period of time following which I checked my account only to find that I only had 17 points. When I contacted aeroplan they told me too bad. I have been a member for 28 years. ...What a loyalty plan...now I have a loyalty plan of my own "AVOID AIR CANADA"

Aeroplanno longer good value

I've been a satisfied Aeroplan member since 1990 up until now. Aeroplan no longer provides a reasonable selection of flights at the "Best Value Flight Rewards" level regardless how far in advance a booking is made. I always plan my vacations a year in advance and I have NEVER had an issue with booking reasonable "Best Value" level flights through Aeroplan in the past. Now the only reasonable flights available will cost you two to three times the points under the "Extra Access Flight Rewards". This issue is particularly noticeable when flying to the U.S. In fact, good luck to anyone trying to find an Air Canada flight to Florida for 25, 000 points. What you will find instead are flights on U.S. carriers with multiple connections. Bye bye Aeroplan. Bye bye Aerogold credit card. I have switched to the Capital One World Mastercard which offers much more flexibility and value.

• St
                                      stratagemmer Mar 16, 2011

BEWARE _ AEROPLAN IS A SCAM! I have accumulated 80, 000 Aeroplan points over the last few years and have been trying, unsuccessfully, to redeem them for travel over the last year. I tried to book a flight from Calgary to Las Vegas 3 months in advance and was told there was no availability. I tried to book a flight to Maui 4 months in advance and was quoted 180, 000 miles round trip for a terrible flight that was 20 hours due to connections. I would not ever purchase a flight with that type of terrible connection. This week I tried to book a flight to St. Loius in May, off season, leaving on a Wednesday and was asked if I could leave on the Tuesday as there was no availability for my requested dates! I can't fathom this type of mediocre program with such a limited availability. The manager at Aeroplan said their hands were tied because they share seats with other partner programs such as United, and that the airlines decide how many seats they alolocate to points flyers. He suggested I book even further in advance so I just attempted to book a holiday in DECEMBER and guess what? NO AVAILIBILITY for my dates, and the alternate dates were horrible 20 hour flights again, and the points cost was 180, 000!
                                      When I tried to complain to CIBC VIsa and to Aeroplan, there was no formal complaint process and I was told to use my points on gift cards. I honestly feel like Aeroplan is now a SCAM.
                                      STAY AWAY

James Board Jul 26, 2011

I agree; the thing is, it is impossible to redeem the points on gift cards! I tried to redeem in December 2010 for movie passes and a store card, and neither of the cards ever came. They told me to be patient, They had me fill in forms in April and said they would investigate, it is July and they still do not answer my emails and still no gift cards. Five years ago I was able to get the gift cards, but now that Aeroplan has outsourced itself to "carlson marketing" it is impossible to actually get any gift cards, and a real scam. In February on one missing gift card they admitted that "there were changes in the system and some requests were lost but the miles were reinstated, for some reason yours seems to have been overlooked" but months passed and still no miles reinstated or gift card. I have spent too much time on emails and phone calls and filling out investigation forms and there is no response whatsoever. Aeroplan and Air Canada seem to act as if there is no regulation or reason not to ignore and rip off customers.

• Go
                                      GOx Aug 13, 2012

I've been an Aeroplan member since the inception of the program some thirty years ago or more. It's only been in the past few years that I've become more and more dissatisfied. Just six years ago two of us could travel business class to Europe for 160, 000 miles and about $300 in taxes and fees, three years ago we could get there using the same number of miles but with about $1000 in taxes and fees, today it takes 180, 000 miles and nearly $2300 in taxes and fees. How is this possible? I have a theory. I believe in an effort to show low, low one way seat prices the airlines have broken out things like fuel and other incremental costs showing only the cost of servicing of the actual seat in their pricing and moved everything else to the 'fees' section of the ticket price. This has resulted in a false economy in price advertising and means the frequent traveller/purchaser pays the penalty. Aeroplan charges every partner (premium credit card co's, hotels, car rental, grocery stores, etc.) for the 'privilege' of having their customers earn reward miles and then the airlines rip off the Members by charging what I consider to be exhorbitant fees. Now, is $2300 plus 180, 000 miles still a bargain? At the standard four cents per mile plus the fees it amounts to the equivalent of $9000. I can book the same flights for $9700 so, I guess it's still a deal. But, wait! The taxes and fees on two purchased tickets only amounts to $1740 of the $9700 total. So, in fact, we're still being ripped off an addiitonal $500 for using reward miles. Over the past few years we've managed to accumulate nearly 900, 000 miles, used or given away 400, 000, and will try to use the remaining 500, 000 before leaving the plan forever. Not what I want to do but, I can no longer find a way to justify the ever increasing cost of using reward miles for 'free' travel.

• Go
                                      GOES East Jun 10, 2013

I have been reading that CIBC is considering severing the connection with Aeroplan (and Aimia). If there is any way customers can give feedback, I would like to be at the front of the line. Our son is getting married in Toronto in July, and I thought it would be a good way to unload some of our useless 375, 000+ Aeroplan miles. Well, of course when I checked on getting reward flights for them to come from LA to TO and return, they were only available as “Classic Plus” – 112, 500 miles vs 100, 000 regularly. Oh, and add an extra $206.25 plus HST for the privilege. Still OK, let’s do it. Not so fast, cowboy. In order to transfer miles from one aeroplan account to another, there is a small administrative cost of $.02/mi. (plus HST), which doesn’t sound like much, but in the case of 112, 500 it comes out to $2, 542.50. Add that to the other $206.25 and the grand total is an additional $2, 775.56 (not counting the $112, 500 spent using the Aerogold card.) So I gave up that idea and he booked on his own. The same return flights for the two of them, total price? $1, 117.32. A savings of $1, 658.24 and the 112, 500 miles stay in the tank! So I like all of our friends seem to have done already, are looking to Avion, which according to those who have it, has none of this nonsense. (Yet). If there is any way you can pass these comments along to CIBC to help in their decision making on dumping the Aeroplan connection, please do so. We have been Aerogold card holders almost since the beginning of the program, when it actually was worthwhile as a travel card. Unfortunately, over the years, it became a bloated bureaucracy, and to mitigate the liability of the mushrooming miles in the account, they made it prohibitive to do what the project had initially intended.

• Sh
                                      Sherrosen Sep 27, 2018

I agree with ALL the above complaints. I fly Air Canada direct from Sydney, Australia to Vancouver, BC at least 3 times every year - to visit my family. I have thousand of useless Aeroplan points which I have NEVER been able to use to upgrade any flight. What is the point of accumulating all these points only to be told that there is NO availability? And there is NEVER any availability - no matter when you fly OR how far in advance you try to redeem points for a business or premium economy ticket. I am dropping Aeroplan - cannot stand their shoddy customer service anymore.

Aeroplan — aeroplan program rules

For anyone having problems dealing with Aeroplan frequent flyer /loyalty program, I strongly suggest filing...

Calgary

Aeroplanpoints removed - twice!

I have had my points taken twice from Air Canada. First, I discovered that my points had been taken the day before I had travelled. I was livid and attempted to contact them. The problem was that I had moved to the Middle East and couldn't phone them. Unfortunately, even though the rest of the world uses internet correspondance, Aeroplan doesn't. I did call them to ask why my points had been taken, put back on two weeks later (after I had already flown) and then removed again two weeks later but nobody answered the phone. I had never received any correspondance from them stating that my 62000 points would disappear and never got any response.

So I decided to give them another chance, especially since Air Canada seems to have a monopoly on international travel. What a mistake. I flew three times round trip England to Van. The last time I flew was December 2008 but, having had bad expereiences in the past, I was careful to only book through Avis when renting a car and used my card for approved hotels between Dec 2008 and the present. Turns out that I went to check my point balance the other day only to discover that they were gone again - 28000, this time. I was livid.

I waited a few days to call and have just gotten off of the phone. I was informed that only a few of the Avis locations are affiliated with Aeroplan (although Avis stated that all of their locations are affiliated) and that it was my problem. The woman on the phone was excessively rude (my husband was truly shocked by how rude the "customer service" rep was) and then put me on long distance hold for 20mins to "check on something". In the end, I was told there was nothing that could be done and that it was too bad. I couldn't believe it!

We've now decided we will never fly with Air Canada again. I am ashamed to say that such a substandard airline carries Canada on it's planes. I have been more than responsible in this matter but have decided, since Aeroplan and Air Canada are not held accountable for bad business practice and consumer affairs, that I can not endorse nor recommend this company or its affiliates to anyone. What a shame to have to boycott so many Canadian companies - and what does all of this say to non Canadians about Canadian business?

• Kr
                                        Kristin Barnard May 26, 2010

My name is Kristin and I am a senior member of Aeroplan's Customer Service Support. I received an alert about your comment and I would like to apologize for the experience you have had thus far. I would like to look into your experience related to your Avis redemption, however, in order to do so I will need your preferred contact information (name, phone and/or email). I will be more than happy to discuss this with you, on this forum and/or via personal communication. I can be reached at the following email address: [protected]@maritz.com

Thank you, and again my sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Un
                                        unhappykelly Jun 28, 2010

If you want to sign up for this class action suite you can do so online at:
                                        These thieves must be stopped. I lost 40, 000 points today, and only noticed when expecting to book a trip to Mexico for a family wedding, after years of saving points through business travel. Down with Areoplan!!! I will actively post everyone so you can all get involved also.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices