Aeroplan Travel Services Logo

Aeroplan Travel Services

Having problems with Aeroplan Travel Services?

1800 361 5373 (Canada, United States & The Caribbean)
+1 514 395 0300 (International)
+44 800 756 3865 (United Kingdom)
+1 514 205 7273 (For The Hearing Impaired)
P.O. Box 23000, Station Pointe-Claire-Dorval
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Canada - H9Y1K2

Complaints & Reviews

lost shipments

We ordered two Olympic coins on October 30 and it is Feb 10th and one coin is still not received. One coin was received in January. We have called 4 times to no avail. Now they tell us it was shipped December 29th, however after pushing they changed the ship date to January 19th and indicate that we have to wait 6 more weeks to see if the shipment shows up. In further investigation we found out that the order was not placed by Maritz (Aeroplan provider) till December 14th a full six weeks to place an order. It is unbelievable how terrible Aeroplan performs and how bad their provider Maritz is.

• Kr
    Kristin Barnard Feb 18, 2010

Hi there,

My name is Kristin and I am a senior member of Aeroplan's Customer Service Support. I received an alert about your comment here and I'd like to apologize for the experience you have had. I'd also like to help resolve this for you, by tracking down the coin. In order to do so, I'll need your preferred contact information (name, phone and/or email). I will be more than happy to discuss this with you, on this forum and/or via personal communication. I can be reached at the following email address:

[email protected]

Thank you, and again my sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving as soon as possible.

Regards,

Kristin Barnard
    Customer Care Supervisor, Aeroplan

James Board Jul 26, 2011

How many places has Air Canada outsourced their Aeroplan points delivery to? Carlson Marketing are the people who deal with gift cards, and they haven't sent me the gift cards I ordered 7 months ago, in spite of emails, investigation forms completed, phone calls, and "please be patient". There is no complaints area or contact us to complain or for real customer service system, or any forum for Aeroplan members on the Aeroplan website whatsoever. It is impenetrable and a scam.
    People are fed up with not being able to use their points for flights, especially direct flights, and the changes in the aeroplan system, but that doesn't mean that the points can be used for activities or merchandise: I have spent 7 months trying to do so and my time has been wasted, and none of the orders I placed 7 months ago for cards was ever shipped or received.

lost airmiles

We lost over 80, 000 air miles. To top it, we had a qualifying transaction within the year but Air Canada / Aeroplan did not see it. So they reset the account. I have sent several reminders for the transaction but they will not acknowlAedge. They just keep saying at the call centre that they have no record. But at the same time they say it is easy to get the air miles back by buying it for around $1, 000 plus taxes and transaction fees.

Sounds like pinching loyal customers for quick money knowing there is no alternative in Canada and that most US airlines are partnered up with Air Canada in the Star alliance.

Air Canada sucks. Aeroplan sucks.

• To my fellow victims, please join us.

Here is the link to join the class action lawsuit:

• Un
    unhappykelly Jun 28, 2010

AGREE with Fellow poster. This is an international problem. You are not alone!

If you want to sign up for this class action suite you can do so online at:
    These thieves must be stopped. I lost 40, 000 points today, and only noticed when expecting to book a trip to Mexico for a family wedding, after years of saving points through business travel. Down with Areoplan!!! I will actively post everyone so you can all get involved also.

• Dt
    dttss Jul 18, 2012

Totally! I got pinched as well.

seized points

We discovered last week that almost 100, 000 point accumulated from travel on Air Canada as a loyal passenger over 15 years have been seized from my account. There was no snail-post advising us about this nor do I recall any email.

During the last three we have been totally uprooted from our home because of a major fire. Now that we are back, it comes as a rude shock to find out that we do not have the Aeroplan miles to get a much needed break.

Aeoroplan says we can buy back our points but it would cost over $1100. This is totally unethical and adds insult to injury. Oother loyalty plans such with Delta and NorthWest keep us fully apprised of any changes to their plans. Why not Aeroplan !?

• Ia
    Ian Henderson May 25, 2012

I just lost 140, 000 points as I was 10 days late to claim a reward.
    Aeroplan was given money by hotels, car rental companies airlines etc to provide points to loyal customers, NOT to steal from them !!!
    I would like to know if there is a class action being organised?

mystery taxes & fees

I was considering a trip from Toronto to Philadelphia using my Aeroplan points and I was astonished to find my free flight would cost and additional $173.84 in taxes and surcharges. Had I booked a cash-fare flight the same taxes and surcharges would be only $121.07. I phoned Aeroplan and gave up after 15 minutes when I could not get a human to answer my call.

Flying Air Canada is bad enough. Now I am fed up with Aeroplan too. Once I finish using my points it is game over. I'll just book online and pay the going fare using a travel search engine. Better still, I won't be paying that $120 annual credit card fee to CIBC for a rip-off service on an airline that is pure crap.

• Ih
    ihateaeroplan Mar 06, 2009

You pay them$120 a year!! you poor sucker! let me see, you've been a member of Aeroplan since 2008. Thats $120 x 8 years, that's $960.

All for the privilege of paying Aeroplan $174 PLUS POINTS, for a ticket you could purchase for $120 and NO POINTS!!!

You just got ripped off of $1010.00!!!

Stop throwing away your $120 a year people, it's just a sophisticated scam.

redemption of points

Tried to order a Delta coupon for a stay that I had planned (2 weeks ahead of time) Was told that they don't have the voucher system any more (I get junk mail from Aeroplan every day - but never informed about this change)
Booked my stay and then tried to order the gift card on line - but the disclaimer said the card would take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Tried calling customer service and someone finally answered after holdig for 20 minutes? and the line dropped and went dead - called back and someone finally answered - I asked about ordering the gift card and was told I could only do so on line. I aksed about expiditing the delivery of the card and was told that was no longer something that aeroplan offered (AGIAN - I get junk mail from Aeroplan every day - but never informed about this change)
So my options were - order a card and reduce my points for a card that I may not get in time - that will expire in 12 months that I may not use before it expires (assuming I get the card at all) and in the end loose 12500 points and get absolutely no value at all. I opted to pay for my stay at the hotel with cash and save my points for flights. Hopefully the rules won't be so screwed up by the time I'm ready to book my next flight.

• Em
    emmad Jul 04, 2009

I also lost all my Aeroplan points, with no notification whatsoever. No email, nothing by regular mail, just *poof* gone!
    Sign me up for the Class Action Suit!

lost points

Tonight, I went to cash in Aeroplan miles for a Christmas gift only to discover the points had been deleted because it had been a year (Oct 21, 2007) since the last activity. Their supervisor told me an e-mail was sent but I ne ver saw it and went throught the spam without success. AT the very least a canada poost letter should eb sent.
What a micky mouse program & organization. I will withhold my custom from Home Hardware and Air Canada in future. I will also let them know the reason. This is outright robbery!

• Mc
    mcleoddave Jul 01, 2009

Totally agree - exact same thing happened to me - lost 120, 000 pts. They claim they sent emails notifying me of my points "expiry"- I never received any such emails. Of course, Aeroplan can't send out notices of points "expiry" through regular post, but they can mail out invitations to get a CIBC Aeroplan Visa card every 2 months. My air miles and credit card miles that I also collect don't "expire".

I have zero respect for Aeroplan as an organization, how they remain in business is a mystery to me. I would be happy to join any Class Action Suit against these corporate clowns.

stolen points

I have just discovered that, like a lot of people on here, I have had my Aeroplan points seized -- 130, 000 points.

A lawyer friend of mine who like myself doesn't mind tilting at windmills are going to put together a class action lawsuit. We are looking at unjust enrichment as a start and have some other creative ideas. He is smart (won a case last year before the Supreme Court) but not in bed with big business.

I am putting together a foundation to fund this and other injustices and need as many people to come forward as we can to be additional plaintiffs in this case. What Aeroplan did is unconscionable and we need to bring them to account for it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Gordon Harvey
Toronto, Canada
[protected]@pactumcapital. com

• Di
    diana sutherland Jul 08, 2009

I was also robbed of 36000 miles from aeroplan in feb this year.
    I did not recieve any e-mail or letter from them,
    i am really disgusted at them, and would like the miles back.

deleted points without notification

I just found out, whilst checking my Aeroplan account after depositing points earned via another promotion, that Aeroplan deletes over 49, 000 points without notification. When I called up to enquire as to where my points had gone to, I was met with rudeness, veiled with indifference.

They clearly had record of my points in their system (which I had been accumulating since 1999) but were unwilling to return them to my account, claiming that I was sent a letter regarding my account. When I informed them that no such letter was sent (nor were there any emails) their only response was the insistence that, according to their records (which were erroneous) a letter was sent as a supposed courtesy to customers, . However, if the letter was not received then the onus was still on the customer to be aware of any changes to Aeroplan policy and that Aeroplan was within their rights to chance policy at any given time. So, what does that imply? Are we (customers) supposed to be mind readers or do we have to contact Aeroplan on a frequent basis to see if they have changed the rules on us again?

For the record, I have had the same mailing address and email since joining Aeroplan and am quite sure that no letter or email every arrived from Aeroplan regarding this issue. Had I received notification or had any inkling that my semi-precious Aeroplan points were in peril, I certainly would have done something to safeguard nearly 50, 000 points that I had earned through this mockery of a customer loyalty rewards programme.

• Wa
    walter Jul 26, 2008

What's next? Maybe a week to use your points or they expire and a clause that says they can take your house if you don't use the account for a year. who cares what kind of policy changes they make and who reads the fine point and memorizes them. Point blank "SEND OUT A DIRECT LETTER STATING YOU ARE TAKING BACK POINTS BY SUCH DATE UNLESS REDEEMED OR ACCOUNT USED!". This is a no brainer to anyone except aeroplan.

miles removed and account closed!

Just found out that my account is closed and my miles are gone. I did receive a letter in the mail on the 10th of May 2007. I interpreted the letter as having 12 months starting on the 1st of July 2007 to record activity in the account and retain my mileage. The Aeroplan guy did agree with me that the letter was confusing and could have stated more directly.

In turns out that what they meant to say in the letter (dated 10th of May 2007) is "you have until 1st of July 2007 to record activity or else your account will be close and mileage gone."

Now that would have been clear. Let me k now of any class action lawsuit. I'll gladly join.

my miles were deleted

I lost over 30, 000 miles without proper notice..I called today and the woman told me that the only thing she...

points cancellation!

I have been collecting Aeroplan points for some time now and held some 225,000 points... I was booking a trip in December 2007 only to find that in the summer Aeroplan had canceled all my points for lack of use in a 12 month period. They said that was sent an email informing me that unless I used some of them (for example $25 worth of gas) that I would loose them... what a joke!!!

I checked and my internet service provider was marking all the incoming Aeroplan emails as JUNK... so I am out thousands of dollars in travel benefits... the Canadian Government needs to step in and deal with this.

• He
    help123456 Mar 27, 2008

I AM IN THE SAME POSITION MY POINTS WERE CANCELLED
    ARE YOU POSSIBLY INTERESTED IN A CLASSA ACTION LAWSUIT

expired aeroplan miles without proper notice!

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to Aeroplan earlier this week. Rupert Duchesne President & Chief Executive...

reward points

Jan 3, 2008
I was checking my account today to redeem aeroplan points, only to discover that my account was wiped clean of 127,383 points. Apparently, my account was inactive and a gap of 2 1/2 months before I resumed use of it. Because of this time frame, Aeroplan wiped away 127,383 miles/points. They did say that I could buy them back at 1 cent per mile ($1273.83). This would mean I would buy back what I had already spent money on.
If I had known about the dormancy policy, I would have cashed in for some gift certificates ar a trip for two.
Are there any lawyers willing to fight for the little guy ?

Frustrated:
Joe Tavares

• Dt
    dtburge Feb 08, 2008

Yes, I know how Aeroplan works as well. I had moved twice during two yrs. Had my emails wiped out a couple of times. When i finally got around to Booking a holiday I was informed that They had taken over 100,000 away from me as well. I dont know what to say about a business who could do that.

• Be
    Berni May 29, 2008

I know how you feel. I was just advised that I had lost 44, 000 points as well. My computer crashed and they said an e-mail was sent to advise inactivity. Well I did not get the e-mail. If I want to buy back it will cost me $409.00. After paying for the damm points I have to pay again. There should be some sort of action that can be taken. How about everyone getting together and start an action lawsuit? any lawyer out there interested.

fraud and cheating!

Aeroplan's customer service is completely irresponsible. I redeemed 14, 00 points for a $100 gift card that never arrived. It was a Mother's Day gift but it hadn't arrived by July, though it took them about 2 days to take off the points. I followed their complaint procedure.

1) I reported the problem in the logged-in section of the website through a form. Received a form letter saying they couldn't resolve the issue and I had to phone, which I did from my residence in Japan. I got a system that kept me on hold and then a representative quickly transferred me to another system that dropped the connection.

2) Wrote another form complaint about not being able to get through, received the same form letter as above. It was obvious at this point that only machines were "reading" the letters. Waste of my time to write them.

3) Called again long distance form Japan to try to resolve the issue. Quickly told the representative that I and was calling from Japan and not to let the connection drop. She did get me through to a live customer service representative, who told me that she would resolve the issue within a week. But she wanted me to send copies of the emails to another address, attention to her name, right away, which I did.

4) I never received a a refund or even an acknowledgment of the emails. I wrote another letter to her at the same address and received no response. Did this person abscond with my refund, I'm starting to wonder?

I consider it egregious that Aeroplan, an aggressive marketer, sending me WEEKLY junk emails of advertising specials , doesn't actually have to provide a product that you "buy". And they don't have the time to respond to customer complaints, obviously. If anyone has an address for a director or higher-up that I could contact I would be grateful.

In the meantime I recommend that you don't try redeeming through Aeroplan for things other than flights.

Anne Nonymous Dec 30, 2009

There is a class action against Aeroplan regarding their practice of wiping points from customer's accounts: http://www.merchantlaw.com/classactions/aeroplan.php

• Un
    unhappykelly Jun 28, 2010

If you want to sign up for this class action suite you can do so online at:

markds Oct 21, 2017

@unhappykelly Very true. A crap organisation

cheating me of 43, 181 air miles!

I have found out that even though my last statement shows I have 43,181. I am told today they have been canceled due to lack of activity? I have one more flight booked with Air Canada on September 11th. Then after this date I will not using Air Canada ever again.

I feel you have cheated me of those air miles and are becoming penny pitching? I will also let Air Canada know of my actions. You may save a small amount of money, long term you are loosing customers? I am writing to Air Canada this instant to express my displeasure. Also to inform them I will not longer be flying with them.

On my first service call to Aeroplan I waited over 20 minutes for a reply. On my second call I waited 39 minutes for some one to answer. On the third call I was able to talk to a person Shu Ho. Very professional!

He informed that there was no indication of the first call I made. That was no information about me talking to a supervisor. On the first call I was asked to look on the corner of quaker oats for a number? I feel the service I received, the loss of air miles, had lack of respect.

To the staff it may have all seemed like a big joke? But I was not laughing? Maybe it was just the true face of an organization that is beyond caring? I will be canceling ING Insurance, Marriott miles, and Priority club. With my cancellation will explain my experience with Aeroplan as just cause.

I now have a list of all associated companies with Aeroplan and will not use their business again. I have already prepaid for services like the Marriott conference center and a hotel in the uk during a visit but they will be the last time I use them, on concluding my business with them and closing down Marriott points and Priority club they will also be informed of my reasons.

What Aero plan did with its customers is disrespectful penny pinching and yet people let them get away with it? How can doing things like that be called improving customer service?

Beware people!

Regards,
Dave.

cancellation fee amounts to 102%

In good faith, we made a reservation in June 2007 for two short haul Canada-US flights in Aug using 15,000 Aeroplan miles. Due to unforeseen circumstances, our flights had to be canceled two days later (well outside the 22 day no-cancellation window) since we could not travel at that time.

The fee charged was $286.00 for recovering the Aeroplan points, or 102% of the original ticket price! When we called to inquire, the agent called this a "reasonable" handling fee.. I can imagine a 10 or even 20% charge, but not in excess of 100%.

BEWARE - The cancellation policy was NOT displayed during the web booking session; Aeroplan has refused to refund even a portion of the charges. It would have been cheaper to buy a cash ticket and throw it away.

lost points!

Like many of the people who have expressed their loss of Aeroplan Ponts, I am in the same situation...

air miles removed without notice

All of my air miles have been removed from my account at Aeroplan because of no recent activity. I was not...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices