Aeroplan Travel Services Logo

Aeroplan Travel Services

Having problems with Aeroplan Travel Services?

1800 361 5373 (Canada, United States & The Caribbean)
+1 514 395 0300 (International)
+44 800 756 3865 (United Kingdom)
+1 514 205 7273 (For The Hearing Impaired)
P.O. Box 23000, Station Pointe-Claire-Dorval
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Canada - H9Y1K2

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Aeroplan Travel Services.

Complaints & Reviews

Aeroplandecreasig value of points

I wanted to share my experience with you on using my Aeroplan points. The bulk of my points are collected using the CIBC Aeroplan card which I have held since 1994.

I have booked many trips in the past using the Aeroplan points collected using the credit card + flying with the airline.

I have been attempting to book at trip online to Florida for the past weeks using my points to get my family there for a vacation. The dates we get are not that important.

Traditionally you need to claim 15000 miles for short haul flights and 25000 miles for flights anywhere in North America. What Aeroplan has now stared doing is rewarding with connecting flights for these point levels. No one wants a connecting flight when a direct one is available. Thus for me to get on the direct flight from Toronto to Ft Lauderdale I need to use up to 55000 miles for what you should get using 25000 miles.

The Aeroplan program has dwindled in value over the past years to the point that is it basically a fraud. For them to simply choose the number of miles required for the reward is on the verge of fraud. The points required for a flight have in the past been and should be fixed.

I would recommended that everyone stop collecting aeroplan points and focus your efforts elsewhere. I will be switching to the Capital One Cash Back credit card now that simply rewards cash to you.

• Da
      Darren Feb 09, 2008

Like many others, I lost my aeroplan points, over 90,000 points. What really upsets me is that i have to hear that I lost my points via the 11:00 news. I checked my balance (which i haven't done for a long time - not on my mind unless ready to cah in points) to find a "0" balance. This is theft, I spend thousands to get those points and those points are like cash and Air Canada (or who ever owns aeroplan) has no right to take these away from us.

I would like to see our tax dollars (Government) take some action towards this subject and enforce Aeroplan re-instate all points removed. And if they have the legal right to delete these points then they should at least have the balls to send it by registered mail.

• Ro
      Rob May 26, 2008

Guys, I totally agree with you! Air canada is one of the worst company I've traveled with, esp in terms of dealing with mileage expiration.

My wife lost about 50K mileages without being informed properly. Aeroplan said they sent an email. can you believe it?

This is really rediculous! We should do something together.

• Ji
      Jill Aug 31, 2008

I just lost my 49000 miles (points). Aeroplan simply deleted all. I spent 8 years to collect these points (member since 2017). I am very disappointed about this!! It is same as stealing my money from me. I specifically chose Air Canada to fly, Esso to pump my gas and Nationals to rent cars just to collect Aeroplan points (even when other flights, rentals & gas stations are cheaper).

This is not fair!

• To
      tom smith Sep 09, 2008

areoplan is simply erasing everybodys points and trying to cheat us out of what we have already paid for.

• Ev
      Eva Oct 17, 2008

The same story here. I just lost about 50, 000 points. I called the customer service and talked to their supervisor. The response was that an email was sent to me. Although it went to Junk mail box, it was not their fault. And it was my own fault that I didn't go on Aeroplan site to check every day to make sure my points were not expired. What customer service it is! And when asked whether they cared about what customers felt, the Supervisor said the company's goal was MAKING MONEY. Let's stop using aeroplan and aircanada to help them not making any money.

If there is class law suit, I will be more than happy to join.

mark Feb 15, 2009

I remember when my points expire.. is it that hard? I guess it's always someone else's fault.

• Kl
      klo2005 Mar 13, 2009

Not sure if anyone has gone to see the new Aeroplan booking site for reward travel, but it is the worst website I have ever seen! Even their technical assistants couldn't help!! I sent the letter below to the President of Groupe Aeroplan and President of Aeroplan Canada. Has anyone experienced the same issues??
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I am an Elite Aeroplan Member and have just been onto the new Aeroplan travel booking website. I called your Aerooplan technical support team for assistance to no avail and also tried to file a complaint and unfortunately no one there seemed to be able to help. Therefore, I thought I would try to write you directly so you hear what your customers think about your new product. While I applaud your desire to update the website and I trust the intent was to improve the customer experience, I wanted to express how frustrated I am with your new design.

The functionality of this website is EXTREMELY unuser-friendly. I am surprised and disappointed to see that while trying to filter results, there is no way to filter combination of flight segments which equal "Best Value" tickets. If this is some way to prevent customers from booking the best value point rewards, then that is a strategy that will lose your best customers in the long run.

Secondly, in my frustration, I finally called Aeroplan to help me find the flights that were Best Value and there was a $30 booking fee to book through an agent. The fee is unfair if the alternative is to spend my valuable time trying to decipher your website to book a ticket. As you should be able to tell from your records, I have booked several Aeroplan tickets online with no issues in the past and this is the first website version that I haven't been able to figure out.

Thirdly, the agent who commiserated with me on the terrible new website design did in fact provide flight segments which were best value. When I punched this same information into the Aeroplan site just to test it out, it came out as 25000 points instead of 15000 points.

My career is also in website design to enhance the consumer experience. I would like to reiterate that your new website is the worst example of improving a customer experience that I have seen in a long time. I would suggest that you revert back to the former version or better yet the version that was 2 versions ago as that was the most functional website that Aeroplan has had.

• Un
      unhappykelly Jun 28, 2010

If you want to sign up for this class action suite you can do so online at:
      These thieves must be stopped. I lost 40, 000 points today, and only noticed when expecting to book a trip to Mexico for a family wedding, after years of saving points through business travel. Down with Areoplan!!! I will actively post everyone so you can all get involved also.

• Fo
      fore_close Aug 20, 2011

Aeroplan recently significantly raised the miles required for many reward flights. And this was widely publicized and criticized. Another change that hasn't been as noticed is that now when you try to book a reward flight at the Classic (lowest number of miles) level, you are given few options and these are all at the worst times (late at night or very early in the morning) and involve either very long layover or a very short connection time. Yet if you scroll down, you will see many, many seats available on direct flights or on flights at sane times of the day and that do not involve long layovers or short connection times. Clearly, Aeroplan is now more than ever trying everything to discourage the non-business traveller and to cater to the high-spending elites. Aeroplan now really sucks and I will be switching as soon as I use up my accrued miles, if I can find Classic flights before they expire or Aeroplan tries to take them away and make me pay through the nose to get them back. They've become too convinced of their own success and will lose many customers with this new alienating strategy to please the shareholders and forget about the customers.

• Th
      Thunder Bay Apr 01, 2015

Seems that the program has become very difficult to use. Years ago I managed to travel with the family in business class from canada to Australia without much trouble. Now it is almost impossible to even get one seat in business class, and then only for a small portion of the flight. The taxes on some trips are almost half of paid ticket often, so need to compare routing as can be hundreds difference for same trip but different routing. After decades of only using aeroplan, I am looking at switching. I hope they listen to all the complaints and fix the issues.

Aeroplanlost shipments

We ordered two Olympic coins on October 30 and it is Feb 10th and one coin is still not received. One coin was received in January. We have called 4 times to no avail. Now they tell us it was shipped December 29th, however after pushing they changed the ship date to January 19th and indicate that we have to wait 6 more weeks to see if the shipment shows up. In further investigation we found out that the order was not placed by Maritz (Aeroplan provider) till December 14th a full six weeks to place an order. It is unbelievable how terrible Aeroplan performs and how bad their provider Maritz is.

• Kr
        Kristin Barnard Feb 18, 2010

Hi there,

My name is Kristin and I am a senior member of Aeroplan's Customer Service Support. I received an alert about your comment here and I'd like to apologize for the experience you have had. I'd also like to help resolve this for you, by tracking down the coin. In order to do so, I'll need your preferred contact information (name, phone and/or email). I will be more than happy to discuss this with you, on this forum and/or via personal communication. I can be reached at the following email address:

[protected]@maritz.com

Thank you, and again my sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving as soon as possible.

Regards,

Kristin Barnard
        Customer Care Supervisor, Aeroplan

James Board Jul 26, 2011

How many places has Air Canada outsourced their Aeroplan points delivery to? Carlson Marketing are the people who deal with gift cards, and they haven't sent me the gift cards I ordered 7 months ago, in spite of emails, investigation forms completed, phone calls, and "please be patient". There is no complaints area or contact us to complain or for real customer service system, or any forum for Aeroplan members on the Aeroplan website whatsoever. It is impenetrable and a scam.
        People are fed up with not being able to use their points for flights, especially direct flights, and the changes in the aeroplan system, but that doesn't mean that the points can be used for activities or merchandise: I have spent 7 months trying to do so and my time has been wasted, and none of the orders I placed 7 months ago for cards was ever shipped or received.

Aeroplanlost airmiles

We lost over 80, 000 air miles. To top it, we had a qualifying transaction within the year but Air Canada / Aeroplan did not see it. So they reset the account. I have sent several reminders for the transaction but they will not acknowlAedge. They just keep saying at the call centre that they have no record. But at the same time they say it is easy to get the air miles back by buying it for around $1, 000 plus taxes and transaction fees.

Sounds like pinching loyal customers for quick money knowing there is no alternative in Canada and that most US airlines are partnered up with Air Canada in the Star alliance.

Air Canada sucks. Aeroplan sucks.

• To my fellow victims, please join us.

Here is the link to join the class action lawsuit:

• Un
          unhappykelly Jun 28, 2010

AGREE with Fellow poster. This is an international problem. You are not alone!

If you want to sign up for this class action suite you can do so online at:

• Dt
          dttss Jul 18, 2012

Totally! I got pinched as well.

Aeroplanseized points

We discovered last week that almost 100, 000 point accumulated from travel on Air Canada as a loyal passenger over 15 years have been seized from my account. There was no snail-post advising us about this nor do I recall any email.

During the last three we have been totally uprooted from our home because of a major fire. Now that we are back, it comes as a rude shock to find out that we do not have the Aeroplan miles to get a much needed break.

Aeoroplan says we can buy back our points but it would cost over $1100. This is totally unethical and adds insult to injury. Oother loyalty plans such with Delta and NorthWest keep us fully apprised of any changes to their plans. Why not Aeroplan !?

• Ia
            Ian Henderson May 25, 2012

I just lost 140, 000 points as I was 10 days late to claim a reward.
            Aeroplan was given money by hotels, car rental companies airlines etc to provide points to loyal customers, NOT to steal from them !!!
            I would like to know if there is a class action being organised?

Aeroplanmystery taxes & fees

I was considering a trip from Toronto to Philadelphia using my Aeroplan points and I was astonished to find my free flight would cost and additional $173.84 in taxes and surcharges. Had I booked a cash-fare flight the same taxes and surcharges would be only $121.07. I phoned Aeroplan and gave up after 15 minutes when I could not get a human to answer my call.

Flying Air Canada is bad enough. Now I am fed up with Aeroplan too. Once I finish using my points it is game over. I'll just book online and pay the going fare using a travel search engine. Better still, I won't be paying that $120 annual credit card fee to CIBC for a rip-off service on an airline that is pure crap.

• Ih
              ihateaeroplan Mar 06, 2009

You pay them$120 a year!! you poor sucker! let me see, you've been a member of Aeroplan since 2008. Thats $120 x 8 years, that's $960.

All for the privilege of paying Aeroplan $174 PLUS POINTS, for a ticket you could purchase for $120 and NO POINTS!!!

You just got ripped off of $1010.00!!!

Stop throwing away your $120 a year people, it's just a sophisticated scam.

Aeroplanredemption of points

Tried to order a Delta coupon for a stay that I had planned (2 weeks ahead of time) Was told that they don't have the voucher system any more (I get junk mail from Aeroplan every day - but never informed about this change)
            Booked my stay and then tried to order the gift card on line - but the disclaimer said the card would take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Tried calling customer service and someone finally answered after holdig for 20 minutes? and the line dropped and went dead - called back and someone finally answered - I asked about ordering the gift card and was told I could only do so on line. I aksed about expiditing the delivery of the card and was told that was no longer something that aeroplan offered (AGIAN - I get junk mail from Aeroplan every day - but never informed about this change)
            So my options were - order a card and reduce my points for a card that I may not get in time - that will expire in 12 months that I may not use before it expires (assuming I get the card at all) and in the end loose 12500 points and get absolutely no value at all. I opted to pay for my stay at the hotel with cash and save my points for flights. Hopefully the rules won't be so screwed up by the time I'm ready to book my next flight.

• Em
                emmad Jul 04, 2009

I also lost all my Aeroplan points, with no notification whatsoever. No email, nothing by regular mail, just *poof* gone!
                Sign me up for the Class Action Suit!

Aeroplanlost points

Tonight, I went to cash in Aeroplan miles for a Christmas gift only to discover the points had been deleted because it had been a year (Oct 21, 2007) since the last activity. Their supervisor told me an e-mail was sent but I ne ver saw it and went throught the spam without success. AT the very least a canada poost letter should eb sent.
              What a micky mouse program & organization. I will withhold my custom from Home Hardware and Air Canada in future. I will also let them know the reason. This is outright robbery!

• Mc
                  mcleoddave Jul 01, 2009

Totally agree - exact same thing happened to me - lost 120, 000 pts. They claim they sent emails notifying me of my points "expiry"- I never received any such emails. Of course, Aeroplan can't send out notices of points "expiry" through regular post, but they can mail out invitations to get a CIBC Aeroplan Visa card every 2 months. My air miles and credit card miles that I also collect don't "expire".

I have zero respect for Aeroplan as an organization, how they remain in business is a mystery to me. I would be happy to join any Class Action Suit against these corporate clowns.

Aeroplan Milesstolen points

I have just discovered that, like a lot of people on here, I have had my Aeroplan points seized -- 130, 000 points.

A lawyer friend of mine who like myself doesn't mind tilting at windmills are going to put together a class action lawsuit. We are looking at unjust enrichment as a start and have some other creative ideas. He is smart (won a case last year before the Supreme Court) but not in bed with big business.

I am putting together a foundation to fund this and other injustices and need as many people to come forward as we can to be additional plaintiffs in this case. What Aeroplan did is unconscionable and we need to bring them to account for it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Gordon Harvey
                Toronto, Canada
                [protected]@pactumcapital. com

• Di
                    diana sutherland Jul 08, 2009

I was also robbed of 36000 miles from aeroplan in feb this year.
                    I did not recieve any e-mail or letter from them,
                    i am really disgusted at them, and would like the miles back.

Aeroplandeleted points without notification

I just found out, whilst checking my Aeroplan account after depositing points earned via another promotion, that Aeroplan deletes over 49, 000 points without notification. When I called up to enquire as to where my points had gone to, I was met with rudeness, veiled with indifference.

They clearly had record of my points in their system (which I had been accumulating since 1999) but were unwilling to return them to my account, claiming that I was sent a letter regarding my account. When I informed them that no such letter was sent (nor were there any emails) their only response was the insistence that, according to their records (which were erroneous) a letter was sent as a supposed courtesy to customers, . However, if the letter was not received then the onus was still on the customer to be aware of any changes to Aeroplan policy and that Aeroplan was within their rights to chance policy at any given time. So, what does that imply? Are we (customers) supposed to be mind readers or do we have to contact Aeroplan on a frequent basis to see if they have changed the rules on us again?

For the record, I have had the same mailing address and email since joining Aeroplan and am quite sure that no letter or email every arrived from Aeroplan regarding this issue. Had I received notification or had any inkling that my semi-precious Aeroplan points were in peril, I certainly would have done something to safeguard nearly 50, 000 points that I had earned through this mockery of a customer loyalty rewards programme.

• Wa
                      walter Jul 26, 2008

What's next? Maybe a week to use your points or they expire and a clause that says they can take your house if you don't use the account for a year. who cares what kind of policy changes they make and who reads the fine point and memorizes them. Point blank "SEND OUT A DIRECT LETTER STATING YOU ARE TAKING BACK POINTS BY SUCH DATE UNLESS REDEEMED OR ACCOUNT USED!". This is a no brainer to anyone except aeroplan.

Aeroplanmiles removed and account closed!

Just found out that my account is closed and my miles are gone. I did receive a letter in the mail on the 10th of May 2007. I interpreted the letter as having 12 months starting on the 1st of July 2007 to record activity in the account and retain my mileage. The Aeroplan guy did agree with me that the letter was confusing and could have stated more directly.

In turns out that what they meant to say in the letter (dated 10th of May 2007) is "you have until 1st of July 2007 to record activity or else your account will be close and mileage gone."

Now that would have been clear. Let me k now of any class action lawsuit. I'll gladly join.

Aeroplan — my miles were deleted

I lost over 30, 000 miles without proper notice..I called today and the woman told me that the only thing she...

Markham

Aeroplanpoints cancellation!

I have been collecting Aeroplan points for some time now and held some 225,000 points... I was booking a trip in December 2007 only to find that in the summer Aeroplan had canceled all my points for lack of use in a 12 month period. They said that was sent an email informing me that unless I used some of them (for example $25 worth of gas) that I would loose them... what a joke!!!

I checked and my internet service provider was marking all the incoming Aeroplan emails as JUNK... so I am out thousands of dollars in travel benefits... the Canadian Government needs to step in and deal with this.

• He
                          help123456 Mar 27, 2008

I AM IN THE SAME POSITION MY POINTS WERE CANCELLED
                          ARE YOU POSSIBLY INTERESTED IN A CLASSA ACTION LAWSUIT

Aeroplan — expired aeroplan miles without proper notice!

Here is a copy of a letter I sent to Aeroplan earlier this week. Rupert Duchesne President & Chief Executive...

Aeroplanreward points

Jan 3, 2008
                        I was checking my account today to redeem aeroplan points, only to discover that my account was wiped clean of 127,383 points. Apparently, my account was inactive and a gap of 2 1/2 months before I resumed use of it. Because of this time frame, Aeroplan wiped away 127,383 miles/points. They did say that I could buy them back at 1 cent per mile ($1273.83). This would mean I would buy back what I had already spent money on.
                        If I had known about the dormancy policy, I would have cashed in for some gift certificates ar a trip for two.
                        Are there any lawyers willing to fight for the little guy ?

Frustrated:
                        Joe Tavares

• Dt
                            dtburge Feb 08, 2008

Yes, I know how Aeroplan works as well. I had moved twice during two yrs. Had my emails wiped out a couple of times. When i finally got around to Booking a holiday I was informed that They had taken over 100,000 away from me as well. I dont know what to say about a business who could do that.

• Be
                            Berni May 29, 2008

I know how you feel. I was just advised that I had lost 44, 000 points as well. My computer crashed and they said an e-mail was sent to advise inactivity. Well I did not get the e-mail. If I want to buy back it will cost me $409.00. After paying for the damm points I have to pay again. There should be some sort of action that can be taken. How about everyone getting together and start an action lawsuit? any lawyer out there interested.

Air Canada Aeroplan — fraud and cheating!

Aeroplan's customer service is completely irresponsible. I redeemed 14, 00 points for a $100 gift card...

Aeroplancheating me of 43, 181 air miles!

I have found out that even though my last statement shows I have 43,181. I am told today they have been canceled due to lack of activity? I have one more flight booked with Air Canada on September 11th. Then after this date I will not using Air Canada ever again.

I feel you have cheated me of those air miles and are becoming penny pitching? I will also let Air Canada know of my actions. You may save a small amount of money, long term you are loosing customers? I am writing to Air Canada this instant to express my displeasure. Also to inform them I will not longer be flying with them.

On my first service call to Aeroplan I waited over 20 minutes for a reply. On my second call I waited 39 minutes for some one to answer. On the third call I was able to talk to a person Shu Ho. Very professional!

He informed that there was no indication of the first call I made. That was no information about me talking to a supervisor. On the first call I was asked to look on the corner of quaker oats for a number? I feel the service I received, the loss of air miles, had lack of respect.

To the staff it may have all seemed like a big joke? But I was not laughing? Maybe it was just the true face of an organization that is beyond caring? I will be canceling ING Insurance, Marriott miles, and Priority club. With my cancellation will explain my experience with Aeroplan as just cause.

I now have a list of all associated companies with Aeroplan and will not use their business again. I have already prepaid for services like the Marriott conference center and a hotel in the uk during a visit but they will be the last time I use them, on concluding my business with them and closing down Marriott points and Priority club they will also be informed of my reasons.

What Aero plan did with its customers is disrespectful penny pinching and yet people let them get away with it? How can doing things like that be called improving customer service?

Beware people!

Regards,
                          Dave.

Air Canada Aeroplancancellation fee amounts to 102%

In good faith, we made a reservation in June 2007 for two short haul Canada-US flights in Aug using 15,000 Aeroplan miles. Due to unforeseen circumstances, our flights had to be canceled two days later (well outside the 22 day no-cancellation window) since we could not travel at that time.

The fee charged was $286.00 for recovering the Aeroplan points, or 102% of the original ticket price! When we called to inquire, the agent called this a "reasonable" handling fee.. I can imagine a 10 or even 20% charge, but not in excess of 100%.

BEWARE - The cancellation policy was NOT displayed during the web booking session; Aeroplan has refused to refund even a portion of the charges. It would have been cheaper to buy a cash ticket and throw it away.

Air Canada Aeroplan — lost points!

Like many of the people who have expressed their loss of Aeroplan Ponts, I am in the same situation...

Aeroplan — air miles removed without notice

All of my air miles have been removed from my account at Aeroplan because of no recent activity. I was not...