Aer Lingus / cancelled booking

1 Ireland Review updated:

My soon to be daughter-in-law was traveling from home (USA) to Ireland tomorrow. When booking with Aer Lingus on-line she took note of the confirmation reference. Today, less than 24 hours before departure she went onto the web site to check in for her flight, only to discover that her booking had been "cancelled". When she contacted the airline to inquire why she was was told it was due to an "invalid segment" but the representative could not explain what this was.

While we accept that she should have checked her email for a confirmation, it is totally unacceptable that a flight is cancelled without an alert. She has now had to purchase a replacement flight at a cost of over a third extra. We will be writing to Aer Lingus to complain but in 30 years of flying Aer Lingus from Dublin I have never had even an acknowledgement of a complaint.

Comments

• Ne
      6th of Jun, 2012

Aer Lingus has gone from being my preferred airline to one I avoid whenever possible. As a US based 200, 000+ mile per year traveller I see plenty of airlines. It seems to me that the Michael O'Leary (Ryanair) approach to customer service has spread to Aer Lingus. Customers that have a choice will not put up with this airline for long. Aer Lingus promoted their transatlantic routes as a gateway to Europe for years and I used it regularly... their 'céad míle fáilte' has rapidly become a 'Póg mo thóin!'