ADT Security Services / cancellation services

1 California, United States

My sister got ADT security services sometime in early 2016 after having had Protection 1 for over a decade and then removing it for several reasons one of them being poor customer service. Late 2016 my sister was not keeping well, so we had to move her to our home nearby and since then she has been residing with me. We continued to keep the monitoring services just in case and continued to pay with out any issues.

However in October 2018 since my mother had passed away and my sister was not in a position to be in her home without care, we had decided to stop the services. I had been taking care of all her payments etc. and so I called ADT to let them know that we were going to stop the services and wanted to cancel.
We were renting her home out and the renters did not want the monitoring system.
I was asked by an agent to send an email to a specific address with the details which I did.
No response. I had no idea what had happened and because we had to take my mother's ashes outside of the country I did not have continuous access to the internet.
I got an invoice again for the service, at which point I called internationally and was told to send a letter with a signature to the cancellation department.
This seemed senseless since it was now more than a month since I had requested cancellation. I had also paid for the services although the tenants were there for the month of November 2018 as well.

Upon my return I called and was informed that my cancellation would be from February since they needed a 30 day notice. So apparently my calls and the email to the specific department was not valid nor considered. At this point it seems like ADT wants to continue to harrass and keep charging each month ongoing although these requests for cancellation were very legitimate.

I am very frustrated with ADT and short of going to court for their insistence in paying for three months through Feb. 2019, I seem to have no other options. All this with the account holder who is elderly and unwell and not able to handle these issues.

Si