Citibankchecking plus limit

S

I have had a checking account with Citibank around 1999 and when I opened it my Checking Plus (overdraft) limit was $7000.
The other day I learned that they decreased my limit to $1800 due to the fact that I am behind on payments on a credit card because it is really hard to find a shift job since I am taking care of a disabled parent and the economy. Not only did they not send me a letter stating the decrease but they took $12.95 out of account every month for credit checks which I had no clue they were doing. Apparently they think this limit is for a credit card but it is an overdraft limit for my checking account. This company is being bailed out and they have the nerve to penalize me. They are a bank and are supposed to help me and not rip me off. The least they could have done was ask if they could charge me for the credit reports which has absolutely nothing to do with a checking account.

• Je
    Jennifer Slate Mar 01, 2014

I also have a Citibank account and have been a customer for over 24 years, just last week I got my state income tax back and decided to pay a large payment to my checking plus account the very next day they lowered my balance by $300 which was exactly what I had paid which essentially was like stealing my money from me. They never notified me that they had any intention of lowering my balance and when I called to ask for an explanation at their 800 number the woman told me it was done at the local branch office because they found something in my credit that they didn't like so they decided to lower it. I asked her is that the way Citibank does business is to rip their own customers off by waiting for them to pay down their balance and trick them into thinking that they have a large available balance to use if needed only to turn around and lower their credit limit over and over again until there is no available balance left. She said I hope not but I can't guarantee it, I asked her if she was aware of how many complaints there were about this underhanded practice and she told me yes but she personally had no power to do anything about it. I said I found it ironic that Citibank got into financial trouble themselves a couple of times in the past couple of years and yet they asked their customers to stay loyal to them. Is this how they plan on recovering by ripping the very people off that they asked to be loyal to them? I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. The elephant in the room is that who hasn't taken a hit on their credit in the past six years with the loss of jobs, loss of homes and high cost of living? The fact that I have a banking account, a second mortgage and a checking plus account with them that I have never been late on should count for something. Apparently they aren't interested in how good your relationship is with them or how long you have been a customer. Their message to us is they can mess up their credit and it is business as usual but they are like sharks after the little guy always looking for ways to take away from them what they have worked for when they aren't looking. Shame on you CITIBANK !!!