Complaints & Reviews

illegal selling in washington state

I signed an agreement with Choice Home Warranty back in Dec 2009, they suplied me with a home warranty that...

home warranty scam

I had a Choice Home warraty from 10/2009 to 12/2010. In May 2010 my A/C stop working and i contact to this SCAM Company. They senth some technician after 2 days and after that instead of repair they sent another tech for 2nd opinion. I already paid deductable to firt tech as it was part of contract. Now 2nd tech start asking money again. After 7 days they ask for maintaience document, which i provide them, but they did, nt repair A/C. They stat threatning by calling on my home phone. I complaint to BBB and their customer service manager offering me to cancel the policy instead of providing solution for A/C Repair.
Clearly they are Scammers, Only here to Collect premium from innocent people. Please check their rating on BBB, and read reviews on them. They are very Big SCAM, dont waste your money.
Thanks K Raza, Richmond TX

sammiller Apr 06, 2012

Please contact me if you have a problem with Choice Home Warranty. I will give you all my case numbers of open cases with the FCC, Texas Attorney General and NJ Attorney General. I have also been in contact with a couple of attorneys interested in a class action against this company because of NUMEROUS complaints logged against Choice Home Warranty.
    [email protected], we can shut this company down!!!

So, I have been given this number for you to call and there will be a person to answer the phone: 973-504-6200 . Tell them you want to file a complaint against Choice Home Warranty.

To Whom It May Concern:

The details of these situations are not representative of the normal Choice Home Warranty customer experience and we sincerely regret our customers’ frustration and discomfort.

We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and doing the right thing for all our customers, contractors and employees. We take customer feedback very seriously.

At Choice Home Warranty, our focus is on quality... providing quality home-warranty products to our customers, following up with quality customer service when our homeowners contact us, building quality business relationships with our contractors, and ensuring quality work from our contracted technicians. We do not and have not ever encouraged contractors to deny customer claims.

In addition to evaluating customer feedback, we continually evaluate our contractors’ performance, responsiveness, cost, and other factors to ensure these partnerships are fair and beneficial to all parties involved: our customers, our contractors, and our company.

Choice Home Warranty is always in full compliance with its terms & conditions.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact help [at] choicehomewarranty.com (please reformat the e-mail address properly. We guarantee a response within 5 business days. We are here to help you!

dont pay there contracttors

I have done 3 jobs for this company they paid the first one after 2months the other two that are both for $55...

service scam

I bought a two year contract with choice home warranty. I payed all at once rather then monthly payments. I had a issue with my broken microwave. Chw sent someone to my home who told me the microwave was broken by normal ware and tear and they would order a new one for me. Two weeks later I call chw to get a up date, they said they did not know who they sent to my house and for me to go ahead and hire my own contractor to do the work and they would repay me. The next day they called and said they found someone to come to my home and service me. The second man came told me the same this as the first. I waited two weeks once again for my new microwave, then called them for a up date. Then chw told me it was not covered because my microwave that had been working fine for 5 years had been wired incorrectly. I disputed this. Then chw sent me a email telling me it was not cover because it was a preexisting condition. I wanted to speak with a supervisor and I was told one would call me back in 24 hours. I was told this 4 different times. They has never called me back. Now I have been trying to cancel my service agreement with them for over 7 month now. I was told I had to send a letter of cancelation. I sent the same letter three time, the last time I sent it certified mail. Chw still tell me they have not received my letter. Once again I have been told a supervisor will call me in 24 hours.in there contract it states I am entitled to a pro rata refund. So I guess the longer they wait the more money they get to keep??? This company has the worst customer service,,, actually no customer service at all. I believe they are a scam.

• Le
    lejon Apr 03, 2011

I'm having the same exact problem as we speak..I also paid them in full for the year contract. Upon calling in my first claim for my wash machine there was BS from the start. The first Tech informed me that he dosen't service my area which CHW is well informed of. The Second Tech came to my home took my $45 service call fee and never came back to service my wash machine. The third Tech that CHW referred informed me that he had issues with CHW and would call me ounce he cleared things up with CHW. He never called and in total I have been dealing with this disaster for going on 3 weeks. So after countless phone calls to CHW only to receive fake apologies, insensitive agents, extremely unprofessional so-called Managers...I am drained and scammed out of $435 for the year. I'm pissed beyond belief! I'm convinced CHOICE HOME WARRENTY ARE CROOKS!

• Ci
    Cindy Dorcey Apr 04, 2011

Maybe we should start a class action law suite. I'm very angry as well. I payed for two years.

vendor non payment

I am a service provider in Texas who did work for Choice Home Warranty.I recently have been told my accoun...

vendor non paymen

Choice Home Warranty is not paying the vendor for services rendered. To date we have two outstanding invoice...

non-payment

Stay away from Choice Home Warranty. They are the most unethical company that I have ever dealt with.

We are an appliance repair business in Texas. We signed on with Choice in early 2010. We completed about 10 service calls for Choice to repair appliances. They have never paid for any of our costs. Their system is always down, the check is in processing, they can't find the work orders, the fax isn't working, there is a question about the invoice... The excuses go on and on. They never return calls.

Choice Home Warranty is the wrong choice. Avoid them like the plague.

• Am
    American Appliance Repair Dec 16, 2009

I have been working with Choice Home Warranty for about 1 year. I recently had a problem and no longer will be working with them, they take a long time to pay out the claims, but recently I have been getting the run around about a payment. I performed the work in August and its December and still have not received payment. I filed the claim on 9/11/2009 it is 12/16/2009 and have not gotten paid yet. I stared calling in November for payment and was told that checks are written on the 30th of every month. I called on December 4th, and got the answering machine at 3:30 pm, I left message to get a return call, never got a call back. I called on December 7, 8, and 9th and was told that a manager would get back to me in 24 hours, but that never happened. The last time i spoke to a supposedly manager I was told that on December 16 I would receive payment but, not surprincingly I did not received payment. When I call I ask to speak to the manager I was told that my account had been transfered to main headquarters but, could not give me a phone number to call and speak to someone. I was told that I should write or send email to get response. If you a contractor please don't mixed up with these people, you will probadly loose money and precious time with them.

• Ap
    Appliance Repair NY Jan 29, 2010

i am a contractor in new york and we are having the same problem since 11/09 no payments recieved and same run around about the managers.

• Ro
    rozchuk May 13, 2011

What a pity...these complaints go waayyy back and nothing ever happens to this company. They are still out there scamming under the same name, address, etc. All the frustrations sound the same over the years. Too bad customers do not read this site first. There would be less business for this unrepretable company. We were "taken" one year ago and they tried again today to sell us their goods (lies) but luckily we didn't forget.

denied microwave/convection claim

Beware of this company!!!

Everybody in this company goes to work everyday with one goal in mind:
To deceive you!
I put in a claim for my mircowave/convection oven that needed a sensor.
After I paid the service call fee, and parts were ordered, I get a call from "john" at chw saying, i'm sorry we only cover built-in's not counter tops.
When I told him it was a built-in, he says that not what the repairman told us.
I call the repair company, they said thats not true and they will call chw and call me back.
They called back and said now it is covered and scheduled the next appointment to my house to repair.
Then, I receive a cancellation notice emailed to me saying policy is canceled, due to my request and all claims pending will not be covered!!
Called chw, talked to "john", he was a programmed robot that wouldn't budge and said they could not re-instate the policy because I cancelled it!!!
Now, the repairman company is coming out under no coverage and deducting my $45 service fee from their no warranty parts & labor cost of $125.
So, I am now paying $75 more to get this fixed, all due to the fraudulent ways of chw.
Stay away from this company!!!

• Do
    Don Musoe Jun 08, 2011

Our microwave has been broken since March 2011 and it is June 8th today. Three technicians, 12 calls and 8 house calls later we still do not know what is wrong with the microwave and have bought a temporary one.

I just got off the phone and their systems are down for 48hrs and they expect me to email an emergency email account?

CHW has very poor service and I do believe are a scam.

they never answer the phone or email.

Signed up for 1 yr at $380. and canceled within 3 days due to the many complaints I saw on the net - tried to call them "...lines being updated." Tried to get an email reply, they did not reply. I Recd $330. two mos later and have written the Atty Gen. in NJ and the BBB. Judjing form the nature of the complaints, and my experience, this firm is to be avoided. I dealt with Richard Altamn who establisted my account. He's a smooth talker and a no action guy after the sale.

Lloyd in NC, Oct. 3, 2010

saricon Apr 08, 2011

The same thing happened tom me exactly. Two warranties... $100 fee. What a scam. I tried the BBB but they were useless. So what can we do? Can we band together and fight them?

microwave

Made a service call...microwave turntable is burned out. This is one of the parts they say is excluded. Burns food and they seem to think that's ok. Very dissatisfed. I think most of these home warranty companies advertising is dishonest. You think you are buying an insurance policy only to find out nothing is covered and on top of that you are paying someone $45 to tell you what you already know. I would not choose them again.

• Ci
    Cindy Dorcey Nov 08, 2010

My microwave burns too. I was told by Choice home warrant that my microwave had been wired wrong, even thou it had been working great for 5 years. Choice home warranty is a scam.

non payment to contractor

After doing several repairs for policy holders, and having all calls pre authorized by chw representative...

bad service

This is in regards to our claim #[protected]. We had signed up with your company last year for piece of mind that when our appliances/hot water heater/furnace/AC ever went out or needed to be replaced, we were covered in cases such as these. We were thrilled to know that we had protection for a monthly fee in instances where if something went wrong, it would be fixed or replaced.

Well, come to find out were my wife and I ever wrong...Our A/C unit went out this past Tuesday evening. We contacted your company, your company sent a contractor out (Sunshine Heating and Cooling). The contractor told us we needed a new A/C unit. Your company has now refused to pay the claim because you need our last 3 years of service invoices. Huh really? Well let me check the Home Service Agreement regarding where it specifies this. Hmmm...I don't see it. Let me read it again. Hmmm...Not there. So, calls to Customer Service...Oh and I use the term 'Customer Service' very loosely when dealing with your company. Let me just say as I have been in Customer Service for over 20 years in various positions including management, that if I had hired any of the people you have working in your Customer Service department at my company, I would have received a pink slip and a grade of 'F' for talent evaluation. Speaking of 'F', I noticed last night that is your grade from the Better Business Bureau...Shocking! But more on that later...So, I call Customer Service yesterday to explain to one of your CSRs, who actually sounded like he was about 15, but I digress...To let him know (Shaun) that we have a friend who comes out and does that on the side for us and we pay him cash. I won't bore you with the details of my conversation because from what I can see doing a search of complaints by other consumers towards your company, looks like you have your hands full...

So, I call once again to speak to a manager (Jim). Told by one of your Customer Service Reps that they will have a manager call me back. Call me back? What? Why? When? Your CSR tells me in about 4 hours...4 HOURS!!!...Seriously??? Oh wait, now I know why it took such a long time (oh and by the way, I had to call back because I never got the return call from a manager) because they have so many other complaints they have to deal with. So, finally get a hold of a manager (Jim) explain the situation about the refusal of theclaim, why do you need the last 3 years of Service invoices, explained we have a friend of ours do it on the side, nowhere in the Home Service Agreement does it state this, etc. etc. Then he interrupts me that he is trying to explain the agreement and rattles off all of these section numbers in the contract where it states this...OK, I went through this agreement twice, don't see this...So, I raise my voice because quite frankly, the runaround is ridiculous. He then says to stop raising my voice and well, I raised it again and then he hung up on me! Yet another shocker! Let me tell you why I raised my voice...It has been between 98-100 degrees here for the past several days! So, let's see...NO AC + hot temperatures + poor service + lack of empathy = TICKED OFF!!!

OK, this gets better...So we speak to Randy at Sunshine Heating and Cooling. He says that when he spoke to someone at your company, Randy had told them twice that our AC unit was well maintained and simply put, just died...This is where the whole piece of mind thing comes in, but obviously not with Choice Home Warranty.

So, Mr.. Moss, let me ask you some questions:

Do you not trust the contractors you hire? In other words, if they tell you something has been well maintained why do you need 3 years of service records? Form the looks of the complaints I saw, doesn't look like your contractors don't trust you very much either

So what about all the other consumers who have people fix stuff for them on the side or actually do it themselves? Do you deny them as well? Especially ones who self-maintain their stuff. Can they send in a hand-written piece of paper that says the did it? Does that suffice? According to your manager (Jim), it must be serviced by a bonded and insured contractor. Really? Where does it say that in theHome Service Agreement? Yeah, Jim your manager's response..."Well it doesn't..." Yet another shocker...

chucko Aug 26, 2009

I have used home warranty companies in the past, I have a two rental units and decided to provide a home owners warranty service to my rental units.
    I had a heater problem in one of the units and Choice sent out a repair company to do the repair. Two days later I have the same problem. I turns out the repair company put the wrong size jet on the oil pump and it burned out because it wouldnt shut off. They billed Choice for a new oil pump, that was not replaced. I call and told them about the pump not being replaced and I still have a problem. Choice told me to call another company and submitt the bills to them for reinbursment. Two month later I am still trying to get my money back as promised. Which is really hard since they never take my calls and never call me back.

My advice is don't use Choice Home Warranty.

• Vi
    vijayk Sep 01, 2009

I have been a Choice Home Warranty customer for couple of months. I guess my biggest mistake was that I didnt check around for their reputations and get referrals. My advise if that no one should ever deal with this company. It is a complete fraud company. They hire cheap contractors who will never fix your problem and you will call them 100 times to follow up on everything from setting up appointment to get approvals on service etc. My refregerator is out of service for almost a month and they havent been able to fix it. I would advise everyone who is planning to look at choicewarranty to beware and make sure they dont get into similiar trap. Dont beleive the industry ratings. I am sure they pay for these services to give them high ratings. When it comes to services my experience couldnt be anything by horrifing. The amount of calls I have made in last four weeks could have gotten me to run for Senator :-)

• Tm
    TMisner Sep 01, 2009

Hi there, I am from a servicer who did a total of 2 calls for different appliances, that we never got paid for. Trying to get in touch with someone or to get someone to return calls or e-mails is a joke, I have reported this company to BBB and filed a claim with the attourney general's office in New York, but they couldn't get in touch with them either. Both jobs that we diagnosed were both denied. Good luck to you with your ordeal. Thanks for listening, Tonya

• Mr
    Mr. Appliance of Collin County Jul 06, 2010

They probably didn't replace it because billing Choice (as you now know) is the same as doing the work for free. Horrible company, awful.

• Ga
    GA HVAC Jan 05, 2012

This company screws the customer and the contractor... If the customer actually gets a repair approved.. you can BET on it that the contractor won't get paid for it.. So either way... this scam company has not paid one penny out... They just take your money !!!

jamesguo Feb 22, 2012

bad service, not responding, not honor the contract.

does not pay bills

Our business has done work for chw for over a year. All of a sudden they stopped paying their invoices and gave us a run-around about having to fill out duplicate vendor forms and submitting our invoices through email. I've emailed the company 5 times and every time the mailboxes are full. I call everyday and haven't been able to talk to a live person in over a month. They weren't great to work with and would argue over every job that needed approval but since they aren't paying or replying at all we will no longer do business with them. We recommend never using this company.

• Em
    Emeline1958 Sep 24, 2010

CHW do not always pay their vendors, therefore, the vendors will not come out for them. I had one vendor actually come to my house to be paid because CHW did not pay him. I contacted CHW and threw a hissy fit and the man did not come back to me. Perhaps they decided to pay him.

They have been closed for the past 3 days because of change to their system. I have been waiting since 9/16 to have someone come out to fix a tenant's range. It is now 9/24 and no go. I got a contractor myself who used to do work for CHOICE and will not any longer. I will pay him immediately and hope to collect from CHOICE.

I intend to file my 2nd complaint against CHOICE with the Office of Attorney General.

These people should not be in business and I will not contract with them again.

• Sh
    shane86 Sep 24, 2010

I represent an attorney in Tennessee that is experienced in consumer protection class action litigation. If you would like to discuss the situation you are having with this company, please contact me via phone or email. We are currently investigating this, and other, home warranty companies for questionable billing, customer service and contract violations with consumers and businesses.

You may contact me at:
    [email protected]

or by phone at:
    (901) 759-3900
    (800) 485-8049

Choice Home Warranty is always in full compliance with its terms & conditions.

terrible service and bad business practice

Choice Home Warranty is a scam! They will not pay and will find loopholes not to pay. Here is what I wrote to the President of this so called company. Do your homework before using this company or any other home warranty company. The BBB has rated Choice Home Warranty with an F!

Mr.. Moss,

So, I call once again to speak to a manager (Jim). Told by one of your Customer Service Reps that they will have a manager call me back. Call me back? What? Why? When? Your CSR tells me in about 4 hours...4 HOURS!!!...Seriously??? Oh wait, now I know why it took such a long time (oh and by the way, I had to call back because I never got the return call from a manager) because they have so many other complaints they have to deal with. So, finally get a hold of a manager (Jim) explain the situation about the refusal of the claim, why do you need the last 3 years of Service invoices, explained we have a friend of ours do it on the side, nowhere in the Home Service Agreement does it state this, etc. etc. Then he interrupts me that he is trying to explain the agreement and rattles off all of these section numbers in the contract where it states this...OK, I went through this agreement twice, don't see this...So, I raise my voice because quite frankly, the runaround is ridiculous. He then says to stop raising my voice and well, I raised it again and then he hung up on me! Yet another shocker! Let me tell you why I raised my voice...It has been between 98-100 degrees here for the past several days! So, let's see...NO AC + hot temperatures + poor service + lack of empathy = TICKED OFF!!!

So, Mr.. Moss, let me ask you some questions:

So what about all the other consumers who have people fix stuff for them on the side or actually do it themselves? Do you deny them as well? Especially ones who self-maintain their stuff. Can they send in a hand-written piece of paper that says the did it? Does that suffice? According to your manager (Jim), it must be serviced by a bonded and insured contractor. Really? Where does it say that in the Home Service Agreement? Yeah, Jim your manager's response..."Well it doesn't..." Yet another shocker...
So here is a scenario...My fridge is on the fritz...Call CHW...Service Contractor comes out says need a new fridge...Call CHW, are they going to tell me to provide 3 years of service invoices? Really? What about a stove? Hot water heater? Washer? Dryer? Mr.. Moss, do you have your fridge serviced every year? How about your stove? Dishwasher? Washer? Dryer?

Back to that whole 'F' grade from the BBB...Yes, we have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

So, here is what my expectations are...I want a phone call from you to discuss remuneration. And when I say phone call, I don't mean me having to call you, you need to call me! I am not in the mood for any East Coast BS...Born and raised in New Jersey myself, so let me just say I am up to the challenge. My number is 314.479.2304.

If I do not hear from you by end of business Monday August 9th, I will be contacting my attorney.

• Da
    DavisAC Aug 12, 2010

Brian,

Have you had any success with your claim since your post? I had an almost identical experience with CHW. My air unit went out and CHW has refused to authorize my claim because I cannot supply 3 years worth of maintenance records. As you indicated, though, nowhere in the contract does it state that you are required to provide any maintenance records, let alone 3 years worth of them. Section VI.12 is the section they said supports the requirement. But that section just says that they are not responsible for repairs resulting from a failure to maintain the equipment, and that you are responsible for maintenance. In my case, CHW’s assigned provider said that my air unit failed due to normal wear and tear, which is explicitly covered in Section 1 of the Contract.

I am contemplating claims for fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices (a statutory claim in my state), which will allow recovery of multiple damages plus attorney’s fees. I encourage you to do the same. You will notice that the contract has a mandatory arbitration clause. You may also want to investigate whether this would be enforceable in your state’s courts – I have found plenty of support to show that it is unconscionable (and therefore unenforceable) in my state.

In any event, I would be curious to know whether you have had any success or what steps you are taking at this point.

Davis

chw sucks

Choice Home Warranty Sucks. They are one big scam operation. They never have any intention of paying your...

does not pay their contractors

When we first started our appliance repair business, we took calls from Choice. They are nothing but a scam. They owe us thousends of dollars for work we have done for them, and are now claiming it wasn't approved, they didn't receive the claim, or that the check is in the mail. Consumers beware, if they have jerked all the reputable repair people around in your area, the bottom of the barrel is being sent to your home. Or they will just deny your claim as they do not have anybody to send, since they refuse to pay. And if you are a contractor? STAY AWAY. Unless you like to work for free.

• Hv
    HVAC in Southern MD Oct 04, 2010

Choice Home Warranty is the worst company to work for. My company has not been paid for services rendered since August 2009. Every time we call we get the same person, Stanley Goodspeed, and he tell us the same thing "You should receive your check the end of the month." Well I have had it with them. They have scammed enough people. I am getting a lawyer to assist in getting what is owed to me.

I even get complaints from customers that I serve about how bad they are. They refuse to pay for almost everything. The company is terrible and I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

• Jc
    jcustom Apr 15, 2011

No the are a scam ### they do not pay contractors and do not repair if they do not have someone to send out call or email me I well help and we will get these guys [email protected]

no air

I am a single mom with 4 children who purchased my home in Dec. 2009. I had an home inspection done and after shopping for a home warranty chose Choice (BIG MISTAKE). My air conditioning went out (it is 90 degrees in my home) and I called them, they sent someone out the first time, I paid my 60 dollar service fee the company said that there was nothing wrong with a/c unit just needed freon. Well the unit went back out 2 days later so I called Choice again and requested another company be sent out due to the first company saying that they would come back out and never showed up.
The second company came out I paid another 60 dollar service fee and he says there is a problem, the coil is leaking. He sends the information to Choice home warranty and I also call and for 2 days still we have no air, I ask to speak to with a manager because I kept getting the run around about sending someone out to fix the problem. This supervisor gets on the phone and tells me that I need to show proof that I had the unit serviced before the air stop working . I explain to him that I just bought the house and this is my first summer in it and he tells me that I still have to show proof. I ask what kind of proof and he says receipts showing that it has been serviced within a year. We go back and forth for about 10 minutes about this proof I need. I told him I had an home inspection done before I bought the house he says that's not proof, so I called the man who I bought the house from and he says he had it serviced in 2009 when he first purchased the house. He e-mailed his receipt and I e-mailed it to them. Still no response and no air. This company is a ripe off the supervisor says if the problem was pre-existing then they are not liable for fixing it. No where in their contract does it say, when I must have my unit serviced, or if I should have it serviced before I get a contract with them to make sure everything works correctly. Now me and my children are sitting in a hot house with no air and the company does not care. NEVER USE CHOICE HOME WARRANTY (BAD BUSINESS)

• Wo
    Woohah Jul 26, 2010

Don't feel bad. I am going through the SAME exact issue right now. Mine is the compressor. They are asking for a maintenance contract which they "think" they are getting this over on the consumer. I HIGHLY suggest you contact your states Department of Insurance and file a claim against them. This is what I told my state:

Since I paid the money and they sent a contractor, they are assuming the responsibility of my equipment AS IS! Makes no difference if you would have had a maintenance contract or not. The problem still exists and would have existed. They are trying to hide behind their vague User Agreement. Also, you did NOT sign a contract, so that is null and void as well. Seriously, contact your states Department of Insurance and file the claim. Takes 10 minutes of your time. I would call them first. I wish you luck.

beware contractors - do not pay bills

Choice home warranty requested that we perform service at (2) different locations. We followed all the...

bad business practice all the way around

Our complaint is a repeat...repeat...repeat of all the complaints listed here. Legit contract, paid for...

unreasonable claim denial

I had problems with no heat on 1/31/10 . Called CHW. They finally got somebody out on 2/8/10 to check the heat pump system. The problem was a leak in the evaporator coil. The freon had leaked out. the company denied the claim on the basis that since I have been maintaining the unit myself every year, that it must be due to my negligence. I sent them a statement from the trained and licensed professionals they sent out to check the unit saying the unit was properly maintained and serviced. It also stated the problem was due to normal wear and tear and not a lack of maintance. Even with that information in hand, I was told in no uncertain words, that the claims rep. sitting behind his desk knows more about the situation than the professionals that physically looked at the unit. Claim denied. I would suggest to anyone looking for home warranty insurance, to look deeply into the track record of customer satisfaction. Do not rely on price alone.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices