Complaints & Reviews

scammed me, then no comment...

To ChoiceHomeWarranty - Jay Moss - I like many others am in the middle of a dispute with your company. I have emailed you at the address you provided to us in an earlier post and have not heard back from you. I have also put in numerous calls to a supervisor with your company, Sam Patel, with no response.
In my case our warranty was canceled the day after we filed a claim. The reason was for non-payment. The payment was being billed to a credit card that expired and was replaced by our credit card company this month. We received an email from your company stating that our premium was past due. (This was the day that our premium is due) We received the email at 10:30am, at 4:45pm that day we called Choice Home Warranty, updated the credit card information and made payment by phone. The woman that took the payment assured us that the payment should post the following day and the policy would be reinstated. When we called the following day we were advised that the warranty had been canceled due to non-payment and we would need to request reinstatement in writing to be considered for further coverage. In addition our current claim was denied. I explained that the email we received stated:
"To make sure you won’t be without home warranty coverage, please ACT NOW! Keep in mind; when your Choice Home Warranty account is past due, you may be responsible for all repair costs that arise. Please contact our customer service department toll free at [protected] to update your payment information."
I was under the impression that responding within six hours of notice on a business day was pretty good response time. The manager on duty, Troy McDermott, advised me that he did not make the rules and that there was no coverage. I spoke with your manager on duty, Troy McDermott, again the following day explaining that I filed the claim before the warranty was canceled and made payment within hours of being notified. He advised that there is no coverage for policies that are not in force regardless of the date of the claim and insisted that they had not processed the payment. I reviewed my statement and it appears that you have not processed the payment. I can think of only one reason that you wouldn't have excepted my payment.
I have a two yr old girl, a 5yr old boy and a wife with heart conditions that could be adversely affected by the lack of air conditioning in our home. Your technician stated that the unit needed to be replaced. This is why someone like me purchases a home warranty. James, please help us clear this up so that I don't have to go the same route as so many others seem to have gone with Choice Home Warranty. Account # [protected]

James Miners Apr 17, 2010

Thank you for the post. I was looking for a new home warranty company as I am dis pleased with Old Republic, I will not use this company either after observing your experience with them.

• Km
    KMC in California Apr 19, 2010

I too, have tried to contact Jay Moss as he asked us to, however, no response. And, every time I try to speak with a supervisor or manager I'm told that there are none available. We are an appliance repair company and are trying to get our invoices paid through Choice. Very rude accounts payable clerk (seems as if the person answering the phone is the same person, yet gives me a new name every time I speak with her). Instead of paying us, we're getting the run-around (faxes not received, original application not received...blah...blah...blah). Truth is, Jay Moss, your company is a scam!

Resolved warrenty fraud

I purchased a warranty with Choice Home Warranty. I filed a claim on a washing machine. A technician came out...

Resolved scam

We became service contractors for choice home warrnty in 2009. Since then they have paid only 2-3 bills and...

Resolved fradulent

I tried to cancel the contract, as the contract indicated that you can cancel at any time. When I called, I received the runaround several times and some fluke manager, Jim Reid, indicated that I can cancel but had to sign a waiver before cancelling so that I would not go to the Better Business bureau. This company initially said they could cover my heating system and they couldn't. They get your money tied into their company and they do not honor what they put in writing. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM!! The manager is extrememly nasty and tries to make you go against your civil rights as a customer!!

Resolved claim refusal

The plumber assigned had not called after 2 days of the claim being reported. I called but did not get a return call. I thought, hey, they get busy, let me see if Choice Home Wrrty has another plumber they can assign quickly. I took the opport. to refer them to a plumbing co. who had serviced my claim while under a prior Wrrty co. It turned out the plumber was not yet with CHW but had his sign-on papers ready to go and was just waiting for callback from CHW anyway.

The plumber diagnosed the issue, communicated it to CHW. I've had good results with this plumber in the past with & without a wrrty co. so I felt I could rely on his assessmt.

Apparently he did not like the way CHW reacted to his report, and how he detected the customer was gonna get scammed by CHW. The plumber told me I need to request another plumber since he was pulling himself off from CHW, due to long paperwork wait, and CHW did not seem to have service for the customer in mind. He cautioned me to switch wrrty co, what's gonna happen if your water heater leaks, they gonna make you wait while water damage continues in your home?

• My
    Mynika Jun 10, 2011

I purchased a home warranty with Choice 5/03/2011 for a 1yr contract. I paid $365.. In June 2011 have a small child and the A/C went out..the techs said it had a compressor that needed to be replaced..I sent in the required documentation and they still flat out refused to honor the claim. The customer service (Mike) was very rude and the Supervisor (John) was a joke. This company needs to be stopped and I am pursuing a class action law suite against them.

• Ba
    Barbievette72 Jun 24, 2011

I just had the same thing happen to me with this company. I would like to join your class action suit. Please contact me at [email protected]

Thank you for posting!
    Barbara.

sammiller Apr 06, 2012

Please contact me if you have a problem with Choice Home Warranty. I will give you all my case numbers of open cases with the FCC, Texas Attorney General and NJ Attorney General. I have also been in contact with a couple of attorneys interested in a class action against this company because of NUMEROUS complaints logged against Choice Home Warranty.

Resolved dishwasher

Re:Claim#[protected]
Cannot reach the office by phone today. It would not surprise me if this company has closed its doors. I was told a ck for $204.95 would be mailed out on Mon 22 Feb 2010...I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE CHECK to purchase a dishwasher. $204.95 will actually buy about half a dishwasher but they don't give a damn about that. I have been without a dishwasher since the 7th Dec 2009 while they sent out shoddy repairmen to my house twice and they didn't fix it. I have rec'd nothing but the run around from this company and my outrage with them goes beyond words. Now the phone calls won't even go thru, not that it would do any good to complain..THEY JUST DON'T CARE!

Resolved terrible cust svc

I called for help in the middle of a Winter freeze. My 1st claim. Well much to my surprise I received a little answering service eprson on the other line that explained that I had to wait until the office was opened because she didn't have any contact list for service on my furnace! WHAT?!?! So my family, (pregnant Dtr & child, and myself) were waiting for 4 hours in the cold for the main office to open. Luckily I guess it was a Friday when they will be open. When I finally got a call bk, the lady had me call a certain heating business that they supposably had a contract with. The heating business was at my home within 1 hour. They were great, BUT, said they were never contracted out with Choice Warranty. So when I had a second problem with the furnace, the very next day-guess what happened! I got the answering office again which told me to call back the main fofice on Monday. Again, WHAT!?!? We were suppose to wait from Sat morning until Monday when the office re-opens? I contacted the same heating business and told them to come out & I will pay the bill so we can have our heat back on. When I called Choice Warranty's office on Monday-it took me all day (from my workplace) and three diiferent phone calls to finally get someone to tell me how to cancel my policy. I found that there is a $50.00 administration fee to cancel and I had two policies with them. So my cost would be $100.00. WOW what a SCAM!! BEWARE and pass the word about this company. I am cancelling because of their poor business skills and I have to pay $100.00 to do so!!

Resolved microwave and plumbing

My contract with choice home runs from march 2 2009 -march 2010.
On november 10 I submitted a claim for repair to my microwave. I received a technician to contact regarding repairs. Technician did no trepair microwaves. This wnt on for 5 more technicians. Choice finally told me to find my own repair person and undergo their reinbursement procedure. But first, I had to get their approval for any repair over one hundred dollars. Try and fine an appliance repair person to come to your house for under one hundred dollars SECOND-pipe leak -december 23 put in claim. given the name kj waterworks- owner called and told me he refuses to work for them because they do not pay their contractors. Finall, plumber comes. I pay service call fee. Choice refuses to pay for repairs-say they do not cover galvanized pipes. look through my contract-it is not mentioned. call choice where i'm told to look at the on line contra ct-COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CONTRACT FROM MINE- told too bad we can cnhange the contract any time we want. customer service then threatens me with their legal department. WHAT A SCAM- DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

JJJConsumer Apr 14, 2010

You are not the only one with problems from this company. Please check out my group - Choice Home Warranty Claims. They are formerly out of NY.

JJJConsumer May 10, 2010

Sounds so much like my experiences with them...they never intended to pay anything.

• Purchased a Choice Home warranty claim about 5-1-11 because my central air unit was not cooling. they sent a technician out & he submitted a repair order to Choice. Received a call from them & was told that I needed to provide documentation that my unit had been properly serviced. I sent them the documentation & have not heard back from them. The repair technician stated that he has also been calling & they keep putting him on hold. I guess I am just out of the cost of the home warranty, $365.00 and I will have to make the repairs on my own. But, I am contacting the attorney general & filing a complaint. If you live in the State of Missouri & have had a problem with this company, PLEASE CONTACT THE MISSOURI ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE to file a complaint. WE NEED TO GET A CLASS ACTION SUITE GOING!

Resolved not advised of $50 cancellation fee

Choice Home Warranty is purchased on-line. They tell you that you have to take the offer on the day you...

Resolved choice home warranty contact contradiction - water heater

Choice home warranty's contract states under iv coverage (Coverage dependant on plan): item #6, "water heater...

Resolved choice home warranty - scam

Choice Home Warranty is a SCAM. People be careful when you sign with them. My Sincere advise for all of you...

Resolved scam/ripoff

We filed a claim [protected] because our heater went out. Long story short they denied our claim because they...

Resolved aprroval/authorization dept

Choice Home Warranty Approval Dept Managers should be FIRED!
Never had a problem with the claims dept, great service.
The problem is when the manager of approval/authorization, does not have customer service skills and does not take charge of his department, nor does he know how to delegate orders. On 12/8/09, I've been waiting 3 days for an appoval, Choice claim to be waiting for the Tech to call them, so customer did a three-way call and Choice still refused to resolve the issue. Customer asked if we could all disconnect and askd the Manager to call Vendor and he stated No. I will not be renewing any furture business with choice..WARNING!!!SCAM
Filing complaint with BBB

JJJConsumer Apr 14, 2010

Resolved non payment of invoice

We were a new contractor with the so called home warranty company and completed our call and followed all procedures for being paid. But that never happend. When you call in you get endlessly transferred and most of the time hung up on. Calls to our "area manager" went unanswered. I have done business with many home warranty companies and this is the worst experience I have had to date. Now our company is out $350.00 and the homeowners problem is fixed and the home warranty company hasnt paid a cent. Can you say scam.

• Am
    American Appliance Repair Dec 16, 2009

I work in Virginia and had the same problem you did. I performed the work in august and submitted the invoice for payment in 9/11/2009, it is 12/16/2009 and I keep getting the run around every time I call. They first told that the invoice had been paid out, when I told the person on the phone that I never received any payment and that I check in all the mail and not received anything from them, thats when they started changing their story. It went from the check got lost in the mail, from checks are written out on the 30th of every month, to checks are written out on Fridays and mailed out on Mondays. This people are a bunch of crooks, I'm out almost $700.00 dollar repair.
    I just hope that the contractors that read this don't get mixed with these people, because not only are you doing work very cheap but also taking the risk of losing your money in parts and labor.

Resolved bad business practice & cheating

I called up this company on 08/19/09 to enquire about Home warranty plans & price & spoke to a representative named Kevin. He initially told me $380 for Total Plan & when I told him I need to discuss it with my family. Then he kept decreasing the price & finally he could make it $330 if I sign up & pay right away plus he ensured me I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep it or cancel it. He was rushing me to enroll for a contact as if they will be providing best service for it. Company will refund my full money if I cancel before 09/19/09. On 08/28/09 when I called up to cancel this contract since we are planning to move to a different school district because of better school choices, & I spoke to Mr. Robert Barr . Unfortunately I will have to say that he was very rude & highly unprofessional after I told him that I want to cancel this contract . Then he said there is a $50 penalty for cancelling it . I told him that previously I had been told by your person only (Kevin) that there will be no deduction if I cancel before starting date of contract which is Sep.19’2009. Then he said there will be an investigation for it . But after several phone calls company has refunded only $280 to me whereas I cancelled 3 weeks before the contact was about to start. In these recession times I dont expect that companies should start snatching money from public like this & fool them .
in fact they are complete liar & try to fool people in different ways .

• Mi
    michelles Jan 28, 2010

I had the same salesperson! The pushiest person I have ever talked to. WHY did I agree to give them my money!!

Resolved service and policy

This company is awful. They have terrible customer service and do not stand by anything they say on the phone. I had a 30 day wait period before warranty became effective as the sales rep told me for pre-existing reasons. Well I noticed my pool pump leaking on 090409 and because my warranty had only become effective on 083109, the company said this was pre-existing and did not cover it. Isnt that why I had the 30 day wait period, I bought this warranty on 073109. Over the process of this I also received poor service, so I wanted to cancel and get my money refunded, after all they dont want to cover something because I was only effective a few days. Well they will not give me a refund- why not I have only been effective a few days and already I am extremely dissatisfied. They did not call me back when they said they would. I was upset I wasnt getting answers in a timely manner as had been promised. The only one rude customer service girl they have hung up on me. I have never heard of a company that does not let you cancel with them and get a refund when being totally unsatisfied with their service.
Please check them out with the BBB as it is stated:
According to information in BBB files, the business was previously headquartered at 244 Madison Avenue in New York City. As of May 2009, that location has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB serving Metropolitan New York due to a pattern of complaints, and the business has not corrected the underlying reason for the complaints.

• Yv
    Yvonners Oct 06, 2009

I have reported this company to the BBB and they are still refusing to refund my money and cancel my warranty. James the supervisor said he would take action against me if I was to go to the BBB or get a lawyer. James is also listed as the president of the company. This is a scam to me, how can they refuse to refund my money when I dont want to spend the next 12 months doing business with them. And I dont know what action he can take against me, but do you think from here on out they will be at all helpful if I am in need of using this warranty for anything. What kind of company makes threats to its customers in the first place.
    This is not a company with good business practices.

Resolved water heater

I was looking to switch home warranty companies because the one I was with raised their rates substantially...

Resolved bad business practices

Choice took my money and never paid my claim. It cost me $3000 to find out from them that they find excuse...

Resolved threatened me with insurance fraud

Its not just a mistake to sign up with Choice Home Warranty but it is down right dangerous. Not only did they refuse my call for service but after multiple appeals, discussions and evidence that I faxed to them supporting the fact that this is NOT a preexisting condition, they not only refused paying for the service but threatened to charge me with insurance fraud when I requested cancellation of the home warranty. So now I gotta fix the problem myself and I gotta keep the policy till it runs out. You bet I'm not signing up with them again!!! I signed up coz they were cheaper than the competition. Now I know why.

• Vi
    vijayk Sep 01, 2009

They are all genuine complaints. Unfortunately I found these complaints after going through my experience. I would advise everyone to visit this site before they deal with Choice Home. Dont beleive the Presidents message. I actually sent an email and no reply, didnt have the courtesy to follow-up and find out about the status of my issue. I am sure this a fradulent operations and just trying to pocket customers money. After some time you are so frsutrated that you get the problem fixed yourself and the amount you paid for the year and dont worry about becuase of your frsutration. This is a good way to make money for this company. I wont be surprised that their business is to frsutrate everyone so people can get the problem fixed themselves. I will advise everyone to never pay them for the year and fall in this trap.

Resolved widowed scamed

7/1/09
Mom and I signed up together for Choice home warranty service, seemed like a good idea beings mom's handy man, (husband) had recently passed away.
the sales representative assured us that it did not matter the age of the home or the appliances, and after 30 days of sign up, everything would be covered No Questions asked!!! He made it clear that unlike the other companies Choice will honor all repairs or replacements.

3 months after signing up moms central air conditioner Went out, she lives in a mobile home and the temperature gauge was reading over 100 degrees, mom is a 3 time cancer survivor and had just lost the love of her life, and she did not need to hear that Choice would not honor their agreement and cover her A/C unit.

I wrote them a letter, hoping to get some remedy and resolve, they never did reply to my letter.

Mom ended up buying a new A/C unit. Because the loop hole they use is written in the contract, if the appliance has not had yearly professional maintenance check ups then they do not have to repair or replace.

Tell me who has all their appliances professionally checked every year? That is a ridiculous expectation. Well, we have learned The hard way to look for this loop hole in any other Home Warranty service company we might consider.

• Wi
    Winsome Feb 17, 2012

My Name is Winsome Sears and my company is Shenandoah Applaince Plumbing & Electric in Virginia ([email protected]). We are owed money from Choice Home Warranty over 2 years now. But I have been in touch with the New Jersey Attorney General's office and they are now DIRECTLY investigating the cases where before they had passed it on the the Federal Trade Commission.

I just spoke with the state attorney handling the matter and they are asking for you to contact them to file a complaint. Without that, it is only heresay. In fact, they have already been in touch with Choice Home Warranty's attorney. So, I have been given this number for you to call and there will be a person to answer the phone: 973-504-6200 . Tell them you want to file a complaint against Choice Home Warranty.

• Wi
    Winsome May 09, 2012

Hello, everyone! I have a followup to my complaint. My name is Winsome Sears and Choice Home Warranty has finally sent a check to me for all they owed me and also for the late fees that I invoiced. Their representaive told them that Stanley Godspeed is no longer with the company and that if you are owed mmoney to contact them directly: Troy McDermott

Choice Home Warranty

Vendor Relations Manager

888-531-5403 ext. 8248

[email protected]

Please include “UNPAID INVOICE COMPLAINT” in the subject of the email.