Chase Bank / Washington Mutualnon-customer fees

P Review updated:

So I was for the last 12 years a loyal Washington Mutual customer. At least until Chase took over. It was problem after problem from them closing an account with out notification for what they called "lack of use" (I didn't have money to deposit for a month and a half; not really "lack of use") to their rediculous reaction to unauthorized charges on my account (They wanted me to have the company who made the transactions call Chase and tell them they were unauthorized???!!!). But today takes the cake. I took a Washington Mutual check from my mother to the Washington Mutual branch near my home (that I used to have an account with and am on first name basis with the employees) and was told in order to cash the check it would cost me $5!! WTF is that. They are the only bank in the US I know of that charges people to cash their own checks??!! The managers response? Chase's policy states that if you don't have an account there is a $5 fee to cash Wamu/Chase checks??!!! At a WaMu/Chase branch?? I am flabergasted & disgusted. This is exactly the reason I closed this account, more importantly my mother is pissed her check isn't being honored with out a fee & she's cancelling too. I think their goal is to alienate & piss off everyone so they have no customers...I just don't understand.

• V
      Jul 07, 2009

The charge for a Non-Customer to cash a check at the bank it was drawn on is very common among all major banks. Just go to any other bank and ask, you will find that this fee actually varies and can be anywhere from $5-$10.

So be sure that before you open your next account you ask them what their policy is.

• M
      Jul 16, 2009

WE ARE DOING A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT WAMU/CHASE CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE BEEN MISTREATED BY THE BANK.
    IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEING A PART OF THIS, PLEASE CONTACT ME @
    [protected]@gmail.com
    Thanks

• H
      Jul 20, 2009

You said they closed the account but in the end you say you closed the account?!?!?!?!? Banks don't close accounts for lack of use unless it has been several years with no activity. If your accoutn was negative for a set period of time they have every right to close it. The non customr fees are common in a lot of banks now a days if you don't want to pay it cash it AT YOUR OWN BANK!!