Menu
Home Collections Agencies FISGlobal.com / Certegy check cashing
Author of the complaint
5:08 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been a loyal Publix customer since moving to Florida in 1995. On Saturday, 10/10, I did my regular weekly grocery store trip to Publix. At checkout, I wrote a check like I have for 14 years or more at this store. Out of the blue, my check was turned down without explanation. Not a new account, had valid ID, had a Publix loyalty card, etc. I was told they have no information, just contact this Certegy company. I was so embarassed and disappointed in Publix after all these years, instead of using one of my credit cards or debit card, I left the store and let them put the groceries back. When I got home, I immediately logged on to my bank account. Everything was fine. I then called the 800 number and checked the online site they gave me. Said it couldn't find the transaction. So I waited over 20 minutes on hold, then finally spoke with someone with a strong foreign accent (hard to understand). She told me there was no negative information in their file and advised me to contact my bank. I called my Bank and they stated nothing had been reported and my account was in good standing with them. So, now I don't know if I can ever write checks again, for no reason, and with no way to determine how to correct. And, like other stringers, I saw the "Gold Membership" application offer. Way too much information and no guarantee my checks would then be cashed. And I had to agree to give them all this information, allow them to do anything they wanted to with it, authorize them to contact anyone they wanted to about me and, just for good measure, allow them to charge me a "fee" for a "dishonored" check. I found so many complaints so far back in time and with so many good name retailers, I am so disheartened that nothing has been done. I plan to contact my legislator and state AG to determine what, if anything, can be done about this unconscionable practice.

Helpful? 0 0
11 comments
B
Oct 06, 2014 5:08 am

I tried to pay with a check for purchases at Art Van Furniture. Cetergy declined my check. When I called the 800# given to me by the store all they could tell me was no real decline reason, just didn't have any information on me. They offered for me to join their VIP program - very detailed credit application - sounds like organized identity theft to me.

Mar 29, 2008 5:08 am

I visited Wal-Mart today, as usual, and tried to cash my P/R check for just under $600.00 and was declined by Certegy Check Services because of "possible fraudulent practices" and "idenity theft" and could not be over-ridden. They would not explain why but they did encourage me to visit other stores that did not use Certegy Check Services to cash my check. Big help! Together, my wife and I figured it out. My son has the same name and the same address except for the fact that he's a II and I'm a Sr. Just think, all these computers and stupid operators controlling the financial industry! What about defamation of character?

W

On Nov. 17, 2009, I went to make some purchases for my small business at the Office Max located at Culebra Rd. and N.W. Loop 1604 in San Antonio, Texas. The machine would not accept my check number 1012 for the amount of $117.85 from Randoph Brooks Federal Credit Union. I called the Credit Union and they said they did not decline my check and that I had enough money to cover the check in my account. Then I asked the manager to try my debit card from the same Credit Union account. The transaction went through with the debit card but not with the check. I don't know if a different company approves debit cards than checks. Then the Credit Union tells me to get the phone number [protected]) for Certegy and talk to them. The clerk gives me the phone number. Certegy also prints out an explanation of sorts for not authorizing my check. They said that is could be code 1, negative information on file usually prior unpaid checks, code 2, not sufficient information available to approve the transaction or the transaction exceeda a pre-established limit or Code 3, the format of the identification presented did not conform to government established guidelines for a valid ID. I called the company went through all the numbers and was never allowed to talk to a real human being. They asked if I wanted a written reason for not accepting my check. When I gave them my zipcode, they said it didn't exist and they hung up on me. I don't think they will be sending that written explanation because they didn't get my complete address, just the zip code. Now I am trying to write to them. This is ridiculous and embarrasing especially for a small business person. I am going to file a complaint with the banking regulators if I can since they belong to Fidelity Bank. There address to complain directly to them is Certegy Check Services, P.O. Box 30046, Tampa Fl [protected].

0 0

CERTEGY ARE NAZIS, AND DETERMINE, WITHOUT REGARD FOR ANYONE OR ANYTHING, WHO CAN, AND FOR HOW MUCH A CHECK CAN BE WRITTEN...THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

T
Feb 10, 2010 5:08 am

I work for a company that uses Certegy and from what I have noticed is that if the company does their checks electronically and the system/register cannot read the check properly, the check is denied/declined. I will usually run the check through again and the second or third time the system/register reads the check and the check goes through. So it could be that it cannot read you check information to send the check electronically.

K
Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am

I also have been the victim of countless internet scams and it is only after reading the posts on this website http://www.complaintsboard.com that I have felt angry on behalf of all the rest of you that I've decided to speak up and stop feeling so foolish. I haven't tried for any refunds, but if any of you live in Australia as well and can let me know of any successes in getting some of your hard-earned savings back, please let me know! i have changed my debit card and now keep a zero balance, only depositing money into it from another account by mobile phone seconds before a genuine purchase is made.
I attach a list of all the transactions made on my card last year and would appreciate it if anyone has had similar experience with these companies and know who or what INFOMASTERYPRODUCTS is.
From now on any company refusing to use PAYPAL in transactions gets no business from me. As my father used to say in his strong Lithuanian accent: "Education costs money!", Katharine, Tasmania, AUSTRALIA.
26-Dec-2009 SUP*MAXIMIZEYOU 487698 655251OS Amt 16.63 USD $19.27
01-Oct-2009 COLONBROM 616834 $1.16
18-Sep-2009 INFOMASTERYPRODUCTS.CO 743834 $1.18
30-Oct-2009 INFOMASTERYPRODUCTS.CO 232636 $110.14

X

I DONT HAVE A CHECKING ACCOUNT SEEING AS HOW I DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO INVEST IN ONE.
TRIED TO CASH MY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK AT WAL-MART. CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID THAT CERTEGY SAID NOT TO CASH IT. WHEN I CALLED, THE PERSON AT CERTEGY SAID THAT I FIT A PROFILE AND THAT THE DECISION WAS NOT REVERSABLE. WHEN I ASKED WHAT THE PROFILE WAS THE REP GOT AN ATTITUDE WITH ME AND WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN ANSWER. I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT PROFILE I FIT. WALMART HAS A POLICY TO CASH ALL GOVERMENT CHECKS FOR 3 DOLLARS. I HAVE BEEN CASHING MY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS AT THIS SAME STORE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. NOW THIS. I WANT TO BE FAIR ABOUT THIS. ALL I KNOW TO DO IS CONTACT A LAWYER AND SEE IF I CAN GET ALL THESE PEOPLE TOGETHER THAT CERTEGY HAS TREATED UNFAIRLY.

X
Nov 02, 2009 5:08 am

I tried to cash my company's payroll check at Wal Mart. It was declined for "reason: 2" . I'm very interested to know when you enter your social security number, IF they actaully run/view your personal credit report?
I was under the impression that if your personal credit report was accessed you had to be notified and agree to it.

I fined this whole Certegy Check Cashing Services VERY suspicious! They'll cash a payroll check for another employee of the same company then refuse to cash mine? I really think they maybe asccessing our personal credit reports without our knowledge or authorization!

L
Oct 03, 2008 5:08 am

I called walmart here in westminster colorado, and asked if i could cash a check for 1740.04, it was a insurance check written to me from boise idaho, i endorsed it and gave the lady all the information, and was handed a little piece of paper saying we cannot cash this check.. first of all this was a insurance check is from a national company.. anyways i called the number on the paper from walmarts phone at the desk in the money center, and was told because of the frequency of my cashing checks at walmart, and my check writing habits...i laughed at that one, they wouldnt honour this check... i havent wrote a check at walmart in over 5 yrs, nor have i had a checking or savings acoount in over 5 1/2 yrs i use cash .. this is strange, so i am just gonna depo it to myhubbys account and be done with walmart and there cetergy services.. reading other horror stories in this area i willnot give anyone any information . i will sign a petion /or sign a class action suit against this b.s so called company. They dont have there facts straight..

Sep 27, 2008 5:08 am

I wrote a check at Murphy Oil, the gas station at the WalMart Supercenters; Murphy's denied my check for abt 60.00. I was VERY upset as I have done hundreds of dollars worth of business with this company; albeit, with the use of a debit card. I was informed to contact this Certegy Checks, Inc. Several weeks later an application came in the mail, this app wanted every bit of personal info I have/have generated short of no.of children. The form made me a bit suspicious; I googled/maps their RETURN address, several financial businesses appeared at the SAME address: 11601 N Roosevelt Blvd.; St Petersburg, FL 33716 the satellite map SHOWED CLEARLY THE ADDRESS IS ALONGSIDE of an Interstae Hwy (686); a vacant stretch of hwy containing NO building whatsoever. Other fin. bus. listed for address: FIEDELITY INFORMATION SERVICES; FIRST DATA MERCHANT SERVICES; TNS INC; TRANSACTION NETWORK...check the map for yourself using the above return address. I will NOT be returning ANY info to be shared w/multi listed financial 'services' working out of a P.O. BOX in Tampa and a fake physical address. It's a bit disturbing to think this many business have employed this 'company' to refuse check usage to so many. The customer service rep. i spoke with also told me my 'profile' was limited and they simply needed a bit of info to keep this from happening again. I kind of like that my personal information is NOT pasted all over creation; the app is going in the trash.

K
May 13, 2008 5:08 am

My son recently tried to cash a pay roll check at Wal-mart. However he was not able to. I am still trying to figure out what happened. I tried calling the automated system, but and I guess they figured out that people are just pushing numbers to get through, because it now says "Please call back when you have all of the information requested. This is absolutely ludicrous that this system is in place and it is obviously still in the works. I would happily sign a petition against this company.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

216 complaints