Certegy Check Authorizationscam and cheating!

J

My client is a television producer who shall remain nameless, however, he lost his wallet and around the same time his laptop crashed, and he was in dire need of a new one. He went to Best Buy, and wrote a check, which was declined. He immediately called me, as having POA in all of his affairs, and asked me to figure out what was going on. I was told he had a code 2, which means he had no negative information in their system, but could also give me no "good" reason for the decline, and that he should apply for a "Gold Account". After making a few phone calls, and a couple of days later, made my way to a member of the Upper Management Team. I made a few threats of violating his rights, telling them that he earned the privilege to write a check when the bank gave him an account, not to have that privilege denied by this company. We went on for about 5 minutes, I explained why my client was not going to apply for this "Gold" account, let alone his "Status", but also noting the issues Certegy has had in the past year with personal information. The manager I spoke to then gave in, and told me "I am going to upgrade his status to one of our VIP checkwriters, and he should have no further problems. I immediately called my client, advised him of the outcome, and at that time he went back to Best Buy, and wrote his check. Only to have it declined again. So now, my client, a very wealthy and powerful television producer, was embarrassed in front of a line of people at Best Buy. He called me right away, it being after 5, the manager I dealt with was no longer in the office, but the decline code was once again a code 2. I called the 800 number for my client, and they gave me the same line about nothing negative, and no "good" reason. I advised that my client was a VIP checkwriter, which they acknowledged, and did see it in their computer, but then continued to tell me, that VIP status does not "guarantee" an approval!!! WHAT??? Then why are they asking for such personal information, and telling people that if they sign up for this gold thing that they shouldn't have any further problems??? I am no convinced that this is a scam to get peoples information, and am waiting to hear back from this manager I spoke to earlier today! A lawsuit is now pending. If for anything, the defamation of my client in front of about 15-20 people.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices