C-DateDemand for payment under automatic renewal of membership

D Jun 20, 2021

The incident came to light via a letter, referred to below, which emanated from a German address "Haifa-Alee 28, 55128 Mainz, Germany. (with an email address: [email protected])

The date of incident is the 15/06/2021 letter from CMS-global collection services referring to outstanding membership. Ith is in connection with an earlier date, when I had been persuaded by a ‘list of 5 Top Dating Sites' to look at their ‘No 1' listing "C-date". In that instance I decided within a few days that the site was useless to me, in addition to having seemingly non-authentic Profiles. As my attempts to withdraw my personal details were thwarted by the absence of any on-site means to do so, I simply abandoned use of the website & stayed away from it. The CMS letter referred to at the start of this complaint listed a number of EU addresses with claimed legislative powers relative to the subject of my "Debt". It was AGGRESSIVE in its use of language, MANIPULATIVE in specifying a date seven days later (being 22/06/2021) for a settlement date and THREATENING by means of the concluding statement: "IN THE EVENT THAT THE DEBT IS NOT PAID BY THE ABOVE DATE, WE WILL BE FORCED TO UNDERTAKE ACTION IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE COLLECTION OF THE CLAIM. TWE WOULD VERY MUCH REGRET THIS STEP, AS YOU WILL BE OBLIGED TO INCUR CONSIDERABLE ADDITIONAL COSTS WHICH YOU COULD OTHERWISE AVOID."
"SHOULD YOU HAVE ALREADY AFFECTED PAYMENT, KINDLY SEND US PROOF IN THIS REGARD."
(sic.)

The amount they are ‘claiming' is presented as follows:
Sum of invoice(s). 139.48 EUR
Sum of interest charges. 0.57 EUR
Incidental expenses before legal action is taken. 11.65 EUR
Collection fee. 47.04 EUR
Total. 198.74 EUR

Pertinent aspects to my so-called "Debt" are:
1) I stayed with the site for a few days only. As I am now unable to access the site, I cannot give precise dates but the "few days" are a fact.
2) My Bank and I had been unable to identify withdrawals under a code ending with DE. (At the time I told my Bank that I would try to find out more, which I failed to achieve.)
3) My Bank has recently issued replacement Debit Cards, which I surmise is the reason for this sudden "claim" against me.
4) The period since I abandoned use of the website in question is now several months (from leaving until change of Bank card). The owner of the website has clearly been taking money from my a/c for several months. In an honest world, he would owe me money!

I have prepared a draft email in response but not yet sent it. I have outlined the basics of what I have written above [but have taken the liberty of suggesting that their letter is now in the hands of the local Police Force and that any further attempts to make a claim against me via CMS should be conducted through the U.K. legal system, particularly as we are no longer governed by the EU]?

Naturally I am interested to learn the views of this Complaints Board on the entire episode, including the draft email I have just described above?

Sincerely
D. O'Rorke
d.[protected]@btinternet.com

• Updated by D. O’Rorke · Jun 22, 2021

Tomorrow (22 JUN 2021) is the imposed “settlement deadline” for me, according to CMS, Mainz, Germany. They list an array of EU organisation addresses (including Interdate S.A. of Luxembourg) which appear to be involved in this “scam” operation.
    All this makes me glad that the U.K. is no longer governed by EU legislation. Nevertheless I am anxious to have this matter resolved at the soonest opportunity. C-date can no longer plunder my bank account (purely as a result of my Bank issuing updated Debit & Credit cards) which I imagine led to CMS, Germany threatening me with a visit from Global Collection Services.
    The CMS letter lists Eastern European names in its list of employees, causing me some alarm. In the region I inhabit, there have already been several cases of murder & violence committed by such people (thanks to EU “open border” policies) & I NEED TO PROTECT MY RELATIVES FROM SUCH INDIVIDUALS TURNING UP AT MY HOME ADDRESS. (CMS DEADLINE 22/06/2021)!

• Updated by D. O’Rorke · Jun 23, 2021

COMPLAINTS BOARD: Please acknowledge the existence of my complaintagainst C-Date. I am appalled that the “rip-off” company is able to list a number of apparently legitimate EU firms as support for its money-grabbing dealings, while offering nothing in return. On top of that C-Date manages to prevent people from get out of its clutches, with the apparent support of EU Legislature. The whole set-up is an obscenity & should be prosecuted.
    Pleasa Complaints Board, will you tell me what action you are taking against C-Date. Otherwise your pages are no more than a orum for people to let off steam!