Budget Rent A Car Logo

Budget Rent A Car

Having problems with Budget Rent A Car?

Budget Rent A Car reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Oct 18, 2006. The latest review Complaints was posted on Oct 17, 2021. The latest complaint car rental was resolved on Nov 26, 2019. Budget Rent A Car has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 226 reviews. Budget Rent A Car has resolved 62 complaints.

Budget Rent A Car Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 331 1212 (United States)
+44 844 444 0002 (United Kingdom)
+43 160 1870 (Austria)
+32 27 120 840 (Belgium)
+420 235 325 713 (Czech Republic)
+45 33 913 900 (Denmark)
+358 96 866 500 (Finland)
+361 214 0420 (Hungary)
+354 562 6060 (Iceland)
+31 736 242 640 (Netherlands)
+351 219 940 443 (Portugal)
+41 448 091 818 (Switzerland)
+966 26 927 070 (Saudi Arabia)
+27 113 980 000 (South Africa)
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, New Jersey

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Budget Rent A Car Customer Service. Initial Budget Rent A Car complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Budget Rent A Car above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Budget Rent A Car. Discuss the issues you have had with Budget Rent A Car and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Budget Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews, Page 12

Budget Car Rentaltricky approaches and customer cheating

I arrived at Washington Dulles Airport one week ago and upon arrival went to Budget car rental to pick up a 5 day reservation for a compact car. The overall experience, from the beginning to the end, is horrible.

Pick up experience: When I arrived there, ready to check out the car. My driver's license was denied!!! However, I have no accident record or any kind of violation record on hold. After 1 and 1/2 hours waiting, their manager came out and entered some special code into the computer system to get my reservation through. During that waiting period, I asked the representative what is my quoted total rate for 5 days rental, he said it was $119.43.

Return: Disastrous!!! The quote I get online was $119,43, however, when I returned the car 6 days later (one day delay due to their office shut down). Their representative intended to charge me $284.36. The additional charge reason is that I am under age 25 and will pay "additional fee" which is $25/day !! But this year I turned 25!!!! Their explanation is that I must be OVER 25!! Holy ### !!!

I called their service center and encountered a very rude guy who questions my math and taught me how to calculate my age. SOB!!!! Then I called the Dulles Airport Budget office and talked to their manager. That guy was rude too. He did not admit hiding the additional fee from me and refused to take my complaints.

Conclusion:

Below is some tricky approaches and their cheating behavior I observe:

1. The reason my driver's license was denied initially might be that according to Budget's age calculation method, I am under 25 and not eligible to rent a car at Budget. After one and half hours waiting, their manager came back from lunch and entered a special code into the computer system to get the rent work. However, they did not disclose the additional $25/day charge to me.

2 Responses
    • Va
      Vandana David Apr 20, 2011

I and my husband had a bad experience with Budget Rental Car. We had rented the car for 4 days. When we reached the San Diego Budget Rental, the sales person told us about charges for insurance. When we said our AAA will cover them then he said but there are something AAA wont cover etc. etc. and that we would be stuck with no car if there is an accident and will forfeit all our money. They have come up all possible loopholes and so many choices that the customers gets frustated and take their recommendation. They also charged for more than half of gas tank by tricking us onto it. Result $300 for 4 nights rental!
      Vandana

• Br
      brian beus Jan 16, 2008

I have had a similar experience with budget. There were many discrepancies with the final bill. When talking to their alleged "customer care" I was informed that there wouldn't be any help . I was very disappointed and wound up paying 250 dollars more than originally agreeded upon. I would recommend not to rent from Budget

Budget Car Rentalrefused to give a refund

I booked a car 26/4/07 - 3/5/07 Salzburg Airport. We arrived 1 day earlier, no problem. More money. The deposit went up 180 euros for one day. My australian credit card cannot handle that many euros. I offered them a cash deposit of 900 euros. They refused to take cash being legal tender. I was surprised. The result of them refusing a cash deposit was that I lost all monies already paid.

1 Response
      • Ft
        F TUZ Jun 09, 2009

WRITE TO THE BETTER BUSINESS AARP &THE ATTORNEY GENRAL OFFICE I GOT RIPPED OFF AT WILKES -BARRE SCRANTON AIRPORT L AST WEEK WHEN ON THE INTERNET IT WAS 158.00 BEFORE I RENTED AND AFTER I RENTED THEY CHARGED ME 276.00 BECAUSE I FORGOT MY GLASSES AND THEY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF A SENIOR CITIZEN CONTRACT [protected] TRUST ME THEY WILL PAY 100 TIMES THE PRICE THEY CHARGED ME

Budget Car Rental in Toronto Airportdouble charged for one day carseat and coverage

We rented a car at the budget toronto airport from16th of March till 18th of March. And the day we picked up our car, there's a women and she wanted us to pay for cash for one day coverage and one day baby car seat. but, it was 2days rented..but, we were too tired and just paid it for cash. It was around 35$ and she gave me a paper with a signature..not a real receipt. But, we were too tired and thought we can pay it later when we pick it off. But, when we came back there's another guy at the buget in toronto airport.

He was the manager and keep saying that they don't take cash at the front desk. But, obviously she did. And we had to pay 2days coverage and 2days car seat and gas. with all the taxes , we paid 144 dollar. We double paid for one night coverage and one night car seat!! We had to wait there with a baby over 30mins and tried to explain that we paid cash and showed them the paper that she gave me.

But, they're not trying to contact her..saying it 's too early to call her..blah blah..so, we had to pay it cuz we had to leave in 30mins to take an airplane..I really want them to check fast with the women that night around 1 :00am and give my money back. They're keep saying that it's not the policy to take cash there but, she did. I'm so angry for budget Toronto airport one..and thinking about suing them..all the inconvenience that they caused and stresses..they should make it organize better for what they're doing! How can an employer doesn't know what the employees going? That's ridiculous..And I'm not going to use budge ever again! They should call me back after they check with that women! They got my phone number but, didn't call me back yet!

3 Responses
          anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

Ummm, you guys sound like losers. Why are you calling at midnight anyway?

A manager will only be in anywhere from 9 - 4 weekdays, or anyone worth talking to anyway.

And about your 30 minutes of waiting...I'm sure you don't b&m this much when you wait 3 hours in line at Disneyland for a ride that lasts less than a minute.

And just so you know, most companies won't do pre-payment from over the internet. You only book online. That's something the websites do to get your info.

And most places have a km/mi limit because you would take that car from Canada to Mexico at that price. However, you can usually convince them to put a one-time fee on your bill for going out of area, which is a lot less than what you should be paying for putting 1000+ km on a car that you would only have for a week.

As for the cash incident, contact corporate. They will force the local office to investigate. Please contact me if you need any help with that.

• Bi
          bittentwicebybudget Jun 29, 2009

I totally sympathize and agree with you.

I was very badly treated by Budget twice. Never again. Particularly that location at the Toronto airport. The attendants there are pathetic, have a lousy attitude, lazy, inconsiderate, slow like molasses. It took them 30 minutes just to process paper work for a car that I already booked and paid for online.

And when you book on-line, it does not tell you that you are limited to 200 kg per day...you get this surprise only after you have singed up and paid, and once they have your credit card, they play God with you and you are under their mercy.

Also, I tried on the toll-free number of Budget, and I waited for 30 minutes at 12 midnight and no one came on the line to help. At 12 midnight? Surely they are not that busy ! They are sleeping !

I will never ever use Budget again. They are the worst I have ever experienced in car rental.

• Pa
          Patricia C Jan 27, 2009

Budget is the absolute worst. That one by the airport is particularly nasty. Be careful of Budget.

Budget Car Rental — budget is a huge ripoff!

Watch out for Budget. I filled the car with a full tank of gas (7 gallons) before I returned it. The guy...

Budget Car Rentalmisleading information!

I rented a car from Budget through Expedia and was quoted a cost of 189 Euros. Actual cost was 592.98 Euros because of pick up and drop charges that should have been included and insurance cost (44.5 Euros a day) I was adamantly told I must take because Gold Amex did not cover insurance "in Israel, Ireland and Jamaica." On return was told by Amex that this was false. Budget grudgingly returned the fees that were erroneously charged on the drop fee but refuses to refund the insurance, even if it was taken under duress and contracted for under false representation. I believe this was intentional and systematic procedure to boost revenues. Budget no longer responds to my emails. Warning: Do not rent from Budget in Ireland. (In rest of world, they have always conducted themselves with integrity in my experience.)

1 Response
          • Ca
            Catherine Johnson Nov 10, 2007

I had a similar experience with EuropeCar plus they were VERY rude to me? Didn't I read the conditions, etc.? Maybe, it is ignorant, but what I read was the line that said "Amount due at pickup." That amount was 152 dollars NOT the 492 I had to pay.

Someone should do something about this Irish scam. My brother had the same problem with Avis. He had rented his car with frequent user miles and then had to come up with an extra 400 at the airport - you can bet that hurt his trip.

Budget Car Rental — warning to inspect your vehicle carefully

This posting is to warn vehicle renters in Germany to be very thorough in inspecting their vehicle, because...