Bank of Americab.o.a. closed my credit card account

S

I have had a credit card with Bank of America/MBNA since 1997. And, I have used my credit card account for balance transfers since 1997. Just recently, I was told about a companion card to go along with my current B.O.A. card. I was told by a representative that I could transfer some of my credit available on my current B.O.A. to this new account once I received the new card in the mail in order to take advantage of a 0% balance transfer for 15 months.

I called a few days ago on Monday to see if I was going to get that companion card in the mail and I was told that I had been rejected for the new card. I asked why, and I was told that upon closer review of my currently revolving credit lines and balances with other cards that I was rejected for the new card and that my existing credit available($10, 177.00) would be taken away from my current account and it would be closed even though I currently have a balance of $5, 822.00 at a 1.99% rate until March 2009. And, also, I have never been late or missed a payment the whole time I have had this card since 1997. So, my credit card account has never been a delinquent account. I have very good history with them and they acknowledged that, but they said that was the right decision.

I have made balance transfers with them about every year since 1997 and they have never had a problem with this before. They just processed my most recent balance transfer in July 2008($6, 000.00) at the 1.99% rate until March 2009, and the balance is now down to $5, 822.00 like I said earlier. So, I have shown that I can make my payments every month and I have not missed any payments on my other credit cards and they admitted that I do have a good credit score. So, I asked them why do they have to close my account even though I have a balance, have not missed any payments etc., and they told me that all it takes is for me to miss one payment on one of my credit cards and then all of my credit card interest rates and payments will go up and that means that I will probably eventually not be able to pay them. Well, I have never demonstrated that I would or could miss or make a payment late! I have been with them since 1997! I don't understand this! I have excellent credit and they acknowledged that! This is not fair! They even closed my husband's Bank of America card account too, all in one phone call!

Now, because they have closed mine and my husband's credit card accounts, our credit will be ruined because credit reports will show that they closed our 2 credit card accounts and I still have a balance on one of them! The fact that they(Bank of America) closed our credit card accounts is going to now lower our credit score and cause our other credit card companies to possibly raise our interest rates and our payments and will also, most definitely cause them(other credit card companies) to stop offering us any low rate balance transfer offers! So, in effect, Bank of America is going to cause the very scenario that they were trying to avoid in the first place! By closing my accounts and ruining my credit in the process, they may cause my other credit card interest rates to go up, therefore increasing my minimum payments, and also causing them(other credit card companies) not to offer any low interest balance transfers which will in turn, cause me not to be able to pay off my current balance with them(Bank of America)! I have tried to get them to reverse their decision about closing my credit card account, but they said that they can't and I have spoke with supervisor after supervisor to no avail. They are ruining my credit by closing my accounts!

What can I do? Do they have the right to do this? Do I have any recourse? What can I do about this? Can someone help me?

Shauna

• Ha
    hai vuong chi Oct 21, 2017

Bank of america recently cheated my money, too.

• 7o
    7olier Aug 29, 2016

Would you like to hear about how they are making CASH off supposedly helping people with "Home loan modification" programs? Trust me this is as concise as I can be; A year ago I questioned to be late on 1 payment due to a change in my pay period. They signed me up for a loan modification through the "Keeping Home Affordable" program and told me I qualified in the first phone call and that it would lower my payments, I said OK and they said my packet would be there in 6 weeks. That was a year ago, after a year of me continually calling them (I could not even tell you how many times I called and how many people I talked to… all the way to the CEO's office!) I kept sending them CASH each month even though I was told I didn't need to by some and told the opposite by others. My online accounting (my only source of information on my account)did not show my payments made until I raised hell last fall and then some were all credited on the same date and they still were not labeled payments but MISC, I have filled out the loan modification papers and documentation twice without any confirmation of receipt except from UPS, and still there is no record of the CASH I have sent them since and the modification is still not complete. I have called my " so called workout negotiator- Terrance Holt" uncountable times, you cannot leave a voice mail it routes you to a customer service rep. who knows nothing! After a some random sleazy guy showed up at my home and handed me a hand written slip of paper telling me to call BOA Home Loans about my foreclosure (what?).. I finally kept calling till the "workout negotiator- Terrance Holt"answered his phone extension last week and he told me he had "closed" my loan June 30th, I questioned why my online record still showed me in still in arrears and my payments are not posted and WHERE IS MY CASH GOING? he said it was in a "special account" I could not see!. Every time I talked to someone (including the CEO's office) I questioned for written documentation of what they were telling me and they would say they could not provide that, I would request for their email address and they could never give one. My credit complaints shows me as not having made a payment for a year! My questions; Why couldn't I just be late one month? Where is my CASH that I have sent nearly every month for a year?(the only time I did not send a payment was the months immediately subsequent my "approval of my app" and was told NOT to) the answer must be that they are making CASH off this process…Who is making CASH off my CASH? How is it possible that at the end of this process, I owe MORE than I did when I bought the house 2 years ago? Why can't I get a straight answer in writing? When am I going to get to see in chronological order penny by penny, what has happened to my account? Who is going to fix my credit report? I am sending this to the CEO's office and to a consumer advocate, I reckon they BOA count on we consumers being ashamed of our financial situation and not wanting to complain, well I am DONE with that. thanks for listening.

• Ca
    Californiagreeneyes Aug 25, 2016

Bank of America is the worst bank I have ever had to deal with. They charge high fees and sit on items that need to clear so they can charge fees. They also charge fees to transfer between my own accounts and charged me because my account dropped for a day under the balance they say I needed. I had a separate account with them and I used this every payday to process a bill and they closed it with no warning which caused a chain reaction of bouncing and more fees. When I called to find out why they closed my account they said it was due to inactivity, how is there in activity when I make a deposit and a withdrawal every payday? I was really upset at this point and asked how I was not notified they were going to do this. The "customer service" representative replied the bank doesn't have to notify me they can close it when ever they want. What ? There was another issue with a check clearing. It cleared then they pulled it back, put the money back into my account and then charged me $35 for the transaction. When questioning another "customer service" rep they said it was the banks discretion and they " can do what ever they want" Well I will not bank at a bank where they can "do whatever they want" with MY money. They are the worst bank EVER!!

• Tw
    twilke Aug 25, 2016

Same complaint on Bank of America lack of fire under their ### to process our short sale of almost 1 year! Same information, all documents sent, two arrasials, the whole nine yards. As of April of 09, we have had
    ( 4 ) buyer's! All but one so far, have gotten sick of waiting for a negoitator to take the file, and send it to the "investors". We are contacting a lawer. This has to be criminal. We can't even get a car because this is still over our head.

A.W.
    DePere, Wi.

• Pa
    Patrick Aug 25, 2016

V.very poor and I don't care service, It was on 29th of may 2008 by 1:30 pm. I was to go and cash my check at the bankofamerica near to me when I got there the white leady that was sopose to attened to me just did't even greet me she just derrected me to the spanish man, who had a very poor service.He took my check and went inside, I don't know what his problem was, because that was a drive through service, This man waited for mor than 40min's before he came out .I packed there with my car gas runing, they were busy attending to other peopel and I tried to call the laedy that was standing there, she was given me an atutuied.I have to stay there for 40mins to 1 hr.

• Sv
    svance72 Aug 25, 2016

I used my debit card over the weekend. I keep a log of all of my accounts so I knew the money was in there. I checked my balance Sunday, it stated I had 36.00 remaining. My State Farm debit came out on Monday or Tuesday, instead of the Bank going in sequence with the transaction that happened over the weekend the went with the highest amt. show which was State Farm. That caused me to have to pay 3 NSF charges of 35.00 ea. I am pissed. I can't wait to cancel with BOA. I wouldn't refer them to my dog.

• Mi
    mildredbrown Aug 25, 2016

i ss sgot a line of credit from mt home & this one lady name kimjames even calls me on a saturdays hangs up for the president told to write off the loan off not to haress the consumer like a hound dog ive had a liason since day one to try & work something out with them all her records r up to date they keep hitting my credit up im not a dog im a human being shes called & played phone games phonetag as well calls & hangs up unav outofa dailooooo calls & holds the holds the ph leavesmess they r the resaon i did get my stemcellsurgery ive been put another bloodpressure medication caused of the stress totaling three i have rights as a consumer yes ive been been contacting every agency hopefully even the white house

BOA_Sucks Aug 25, 2016

A client in Canada had to send us a check for services. He went to his bank and got all of the information he needed from me to send money direct from his bank to my local Bank of America. Apparently the "name" they asked for wasn't the contact name, but the business name and the wire didn't go through. Bank of America immediately took $40 from the transaction. No wonder they make so much money when hitting up small businesses with frivolous fees for poor instruction.

• Am
    amit mehta Aug 12, 2016

I am being unauthorised charged on my debit card of Bank of America every month for an amount 9.95

Also don't know who is actually charging this

here's are the details of the charges in Nov 2008
    Cubis [protected] DES:SSC Rebill ID:N20567 INDN:AMIT MEHTA CO ID:1954

Please help
    Amit

• Le
    leeanne Aug 12, 2016

money taken without my permission. I wont my money back.

• Am
    amit mehta Aug 12, 2016

Also don't know who is actually charging this

here's are the details of the charges in Nov 2008
    Cubis [protected] DES:SSC Rebill ID:N20567 INDN:AMIT MEHTA CO ID:1954

Please help
    Amit

• Wine Is Good Aug 11, 2016

I am going to say this again for those of you who refuse to get it. You can not spend today what you will not have tomorrow and expect to not get hit with fees.

• Te
    Teresa Lawrence Aug 11, 2016

Bank of America blocked my Credit Line because the value of my house went down. They never send me a letter. I found it because I was checking my accounts on line. I don 't think that is ethic and fair. I signed the Credit of Line in 2003. What would happend if I used the whole amount of money.

• Jr
    Jroc Philly Aug 11, 2016

BOA has repeatedly reorganized my transactions in a format to cause a bounce. While trying to pay off old debt and rebuild my credit we operate down to the dollar just before my pay is deposited and use the on-line banking to ensure we don't overdraft. BOA has banged us twice with numerous overdraft charges totaling in the several hundred dollars each time. This last time we made some purchases on the 26th and the 29th. We were leaving town on the 30th and wrote our tithe check, dated the 30th, on the 28th. Worst case it would bounce by a few hours, we would pay the $35 fee BUT it always takes two days to post so we suspected it would be fine. Sure enough a BOA email at 0430 AM on the 30th told me my pay had been deposited. An email at 1030 AM on the 30th told me my tithe check had been withdrawn. Then at 4PM the fist overdraft notice email for a $35 charge, followed by 8 more!!! We quickly called BOA and went on line. They moved the tithe check to the first transaction on the 29th. They posted all transactions from the 26th to the 29th behind the tithe check causing them all to bounce despite the funds being in the account at this time. Our call produced a surprised customer service agent who said I see the check is dated for the 30th and it was pending until the 30th but all of these overdraft charges are still pending, I can do nothing with them until they post. Call back tomorrow. We called back and no one would assist us. We were told we needed to better manage our money. When asked why they relied on the transaction date to earn an overdraft on the check but the posting date to earn 8 overdraft charges they said it was due to transaction type. I told them I used online and saw the charges on the 26 post and they told me the info to online was delayed. Thats crap I can make a purchase in in five minutes see it online pending! they move the largest charge per day first "to benefit customers" despite customers make numerous small purchases and minimal big purchases. The fact is the big one is more likely to bounce thus is often transacted just prior to or on payday and if they move it they can make a ton and thats what they do. Someone on Craigslist stated they were filing a class action! I am in!

• Cl
    Climacus Aug 11, 2016

Bank of America is one of the largest banks in the country. Complaining and telling other people not to do business there and threatening lawsuits won't get you anywhere. If you want justice, you'll have to fight for it.

BOA Fraudsters Aug 11, 2016

Do not support BOA - To all the people who have experienced these fees remember that us - the Taxpayers actually bailed them out. We payed their salaries and then they treat us like this. Remember BOA defrauded millions of dollars and now, when single mothers ask them to refund small fees, they decline them. All of them would be out of a job if the Federal government (You and I) had not bailed them out. They are all pigs. The lot of them. DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

BOA Legal Complaint Aug 11, 2016

Fixed Rate Option at Bank of America unilaterally breached
    in Home Equity Line, without notice.

The Equity Maximizer loan is a Bank of Am. line of credit with a variable rate which can be converted to fixed rate at any time
    (supposedly). That is the marketing. That is the disclosure form explanation. These provisions are in the loan contract.

Exception? Any time your line of credit is in "suspension". Can BOA suspend at any time it wishes? Legally, NO. Does BOA
    suspend transactions on Equity Line accounts in order to deny the consumer the Fixed Rate Option in order to lock them in on a variable rate + interest only repayment plan - YES. Do consumers have a right to refuse payment? YES. This is a breach of contract by Bank of America. On the other hand, if BOA can refuse the fixed rate option whenever it decides to "suspend" an account, then the consumer does not have the contract provided right to Fix the Rate AT ANY TIME as marketed by BOA account reps. This is misrepresentation, which can lead to the contract being found void under applicable State Law in the jurisdiction in which your home is or loan was taken out.

• Cr
    crazyknarf Aug 11, 2016

Here is some help. Do not use your PIN when shopping use your Credit card version of it. It takes longer to clear and if you are waiting for a deposit to clear it is better to make sure that it is on the POSTED side before buying anything else.

Law: Bank MUST make every check cashed has the available amount of the check to be taken out. If you cash a check and two weeks later the check bounces you are at fault. That is how the scam artists in Nigeria work.

The bank is nothing more then a business, what bill you pay first?
    The Mortgage or Rent? Why? Because it is the highest amount. So instead of the bank paying off the highest one in an overdraft, they pay off the little ones, in the long run it saves them money.

The reason is a long ago tale. The days when you did not have your rent money or the check bounced and you bounced right out of your apartment building. So in a way the bank is trying to help and hurt you both at the same time. and trying to make a profit in the way.

If you are unable to balance a checkbook, get a savings account and use the savings to protect your checking account. (DO NOT USE CREDIT CARD FOR OVERDRAFT FEES!)

and one more thing. People that sign anything should READ ALL THE PAPERWORK. (Remember the movie "The Santa Clause"). Read everything you sign before signing.

• Ba
    bankofamerica victim Aug 11, 2016

I've just read all of your stories because I have one just like it...but I won't bore everyone with it...needless to say boa are a bunch of criminals!!...I have contacted a lawyer and will be having a consultation with him tomorrow...I suggest we ALL contact the same lawyer to file a class action suit against boa...then start going public with all these horror stories...go to national networks that care about this kind of thing I suggest CNN, MSNBC, with Keith olberman, and Rachel Maddow...they love love ! to expose and do stories about ordinary people getting screwed by the giants of the financial world...they will ask you to be guest on their show and fly you out there...Single Mom...you'd probably be the first one...So if we all want to get anything done about this we have to do it together...when enough people scream it gets heard...so please contact keith olberman @ msnbc.com or [email protected] it wouldn't hurt to bombard president Obama's e-mail with this info as well...So if any of you are serious you can contact my soon to be attorney..."Robinson and Henry at [protected]...Lets get our money!!

• Wi
    William P. Hall Aug 11, 2016

I have a similar experience with BoA. It started in Dec. I had an automatic debit for my mortgage and the bank did not credit my account with my direct deposit on time(I noticed this on the last day of Nov. and called BoA; the person who answered told me to cancel the automatic payment and pay it manually after the deposit cleared. I did that and then the bank paid it again, overdrawing my account. The bank then refused to help me get the money back, saying it was my fault, even though I did what they told me to do. I had similar experiences in Jan. and Feb. Two days ago, they changed the times some of my debits to my account (including some already paid) so they could charge me overdraft fees. They said that I hadn't made a deposit in time, even though the debit (which still hasn't been paid-still hasn't been presented to the bank) came in the same day as the deposit. Their policy is as long as credits exceed debits at 5 pm, you are okay. I have been with them for many years-more than 15, maybe 20- but I'm done now.

angryatBOA Aug 11, 2016

BOA is notorius for moving your money around in order to have your account in negative and for them to collect a $35 fee for each transaction. There have been several times i have checked my account and balance online and my account was fine only to find later that charges that were cleared and pending were moved to another area and the debits were moved to another area which then made my account negative. I start keeping my receipts which i make sure they incude the balance, So when i call them they now have no problems crediting my account. As soon as i use the rest of my check books I will be closing my BOA account. This is sad because I have had them since 1997. But BOA have become more of a bill to pay than a place to secure my money.

• Dr
    D Reis Aug 11, 2016

We have had some odd things happen with our BOA account. Random money disappearing. The first time it was back in June of 2010, approx. 64.00 went missing from our account. I balance our accounts on line daily so I waited, and I watched to see if a charge that I had missed would post. It never did. So I went to our branch and was told that they charge 100.00 to research an error of this nature. I asked how they could charge ME a fee to search for THEIR error? They waved the fee and when they could not find a transaction that I had missed in that amount, they returned the funds. When it happened again in Sept. I did the same thing, however, this time when they can't find where the money went the branch manager has decided the best thing to do is IGNORE my calls and e-mails! I will be contacting the State of Washingtion ASAP!

• Nj
    NJCOOLNESS Aug 11, 2016

Bank of America has repeatedly charged me numerous overdraft fees upon extended overdraft fees for each item I have purchased with their debit card. I have called many times and asked for a refund only to be given the runaround and told no. I have cancelled my account with them indefinately and gone with a credit union. DON'T BANK WITH BOA!!!

• Do
    DOWN DOWN Aug 11, 2016

I have always highly disliked Bank Of America...everyone is right...you do know that they have special meetings on how they can screw you the customer out of more money...really no lie there. I just don't know if it is really my fault when they charge me a fee for a fee...something is wrong with this picture. My latest complaint is much bigger than late fees. My other half who might not be my other half after all this is said and done...has been a bad boy with the IRS story short they put a levy on our accounts...since we are not married we went to the IRS and showed that one of the bank accounts was mine and that ACH was my pay check alone. So they released my levy on my bank account and said to take him off. So we did I then took the release form from the IRS to the the local branch where she said that legal department closes at 4:00 so she could not fax it over until after the holiday and I would have to come back. I then asked if she could take a copy and fax it first thing in the morning on Tuesday to the legal department so we could go from there since I do work. She said that she did not promise as she could be sick or call out that day but she would try...Now let me stop for a second REALLY? WOW great customer service!! Let me continue so then Tuesday comes around and I can not get anyone on the phone at the local banch so I call the toll free number where I make them get a hold of the local branch finally so that she can gets a reminder to fax my paperwork over. She called me maybe 30 mins later to tell me that the legal department received my release and my money should be back in my account by the next day. Cool..their standard theme for a release of funds is 24-48 hours just to let you know. So Thursday rolls around and no money, so I called the levy department where they tell me 24-48 hours...ummmm I then told them it has already been 48 hours and I wanted to know what the issue was. Of course there were no answers, there are no managers above any of them to complain to and they just really don't care. So I waited and here I am on Monday to find out that my release of levy was denied because the person at the branch did not put her name on the fax cover sheet...REALLY REALLY...could they not have picked up or sent her an email REALLY??? Because I know they had the notes on who faxed it over and from what branch because when they told me that it was being held up the first time with no reason at all they told me her name and everything...This is just another way for them to screw with me...I am sick and tired of all of this!! I trust a bank to hold my hard earned money and that they will give me back my funds when the Gov. was wrong to take them. I do not know if you know this but when a levy is issued they take the funds out and if you have anything pending they then make it processing so they can take out more than what you really have for the levy making you over draw. Also, in recent cases they can NO LONGER charge a OVERDRAFT fee if by the end of business day you have gone over in your account less than 10 total. they can not charge a over draft fee due to medical issues and a law suite that they are trying to dodge.

Yes, should we all be better at our accounting skills yes...but should your bank hold on to your charges and put through the largest charge first even though it was last to make all your little charges go over making them more money in over draft fees? Also, should your bank put through one of their charges before your charges making you go over? Should a bank charge you a over draft fee for one of their fees? There is a fine line here people and BOA crosses this line everyday with all of us...

BOA Complaints Aug 11, 2016

We know the problems with Worse-Than-Nigerian-### Bank - who uses the con name America (but has absolutely nothing to do with America). These are international ###. Now it is time for solutions.

There is, in fact, one highly effective way to PINCH THE HEAD OFF BOA once and for all:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of us who are sick of Bank of America's fraudulent practices:

Step One:
    Apply for a job via their website or local branch. Of course they will turn you down (especially if you are white or male or over 40 or straight or a non-drug user). Of course, your application will end up in the batch where they will discover that you do not meet their "profile" of a ghetto employee.

Step Two:
    Make sure they send you a denial letter and don't just ignore you.

Step Three
    Once they turn you down, lodge a complaint against them at your local EEOC office.

Step Four
    BOA cannot evade and also employees cannot lie to a federal investigator. (It is a crime to lie to a federal investigator.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean good grief, they want to grab all our money, but yet so many people cannot find jobs these days. It's not like they would hire any of these people they rip off.

Let's all send off an avalanche of EEOC complaints (instead of a class action suit.) BOA can fight class action lawsuits with their armies of lawyers. BUT instead of evading, they HAVE TO answer to the EEOC. BOA would have a certain amount of time to respond. (The EEOC is the most mortal enemy that any business can have.)

Many of victims should consider this. The very people who cannot get jobs or pay their bills are the ones that BOA rips off the worst.

Think about it, they want your money and proceeds from fees but yet they won't hire you? It's time to put Bank of America (a con-job name for Ghetto Bank International) out of business FOR GOOD.

• Em
    E. Miller Aug 11, 2016

Bank of America blocked my line of credit without notifying me. They claim they sent a letter and that it was due to devaluation of my home. I do not trust BOA. They post payments incorrectly and customer service is not too good.

• Ge
    Geeesh Aug 11, 2016

I hate bank of America. I had an account with them and continuously had funds missing and when I brought it to their attention, complete with the monthly statements that clearly showed ghost funds missing from one month to the next without any signs of withdrawels, they told me that I had to present to them additional statements that weren't even in question. They wanted me to provide them with the statements from the opening of the account (2 years prior to the event in question) up until the current date. Needless to say I cancelled my account. I was a little upset when my mortgage was transferred to Bank of America but I never did anything to rectify it. Matter of fact, I got comfortable with the fact that Bank of America had my home loan and it wasn't until I found out that they were neglecting to pay my taxes and my house was in jeopardy of being taken from me, that I started to get worried. It was a huge struggle to get Bank of America to resolve this problem and it wasn't until I got lawyers involved that Bank of America stepped up to the plate and fixed the problem. I tried to refinance my loan with another bank but too many inquiries on my credit history made it so that refiancing would be fairly costly. I left the loan in Bank of Americas hands and didn't have any problems until I attempted to get my pmi taken off a few years later. I spoke to Tia Newton of Bank Of America, paid my $400 to get the PMI removed and she suggested I get my house refinanced. She explained it and it sounded good so I went for the hook. Because of some red tape on Bank of Americas part, my house didnt qualify to be refiananced. I then inquired about getting my pmi taken back off and I was told I would have to repay the $400. Bank of America Sucks!!! They have changed their customer service number around so you can't talk to a representative until you go through the automated service for about 20 minutes. I have finally gotten thru to customer service twice and they put me on hold only to hang up on me. They have my phone number and yet they don't call back.

ANGRY060 Aug 11, 2016

my question is this, who authorized my tax dollars to bail these criminals out?????

ive managed to trap them!! you can watch as your account goes from positive, a few charges come in that clear then a big one comes in that will bounce and yet they selectively insert the big one in front of the small ones that should have cleared just hit you with 4 over draft fee's!!

i have my proof in screen shots!! compiling all my info and send them to the attorney general.

this bank needs to go away!!!

BANK OF NON-AMERICANS!!!

James Aug 11, 2016

I want you to know that you should pay attention to the Bank of America and its derogatory treatment of disabled customers that recieve Social Security Benefits. You may also want to know that they are fleecing college students' into "free checking" accounts offering unsecured lines of credit of which their customer service department has negligent training and predatory practices, upto and including chicanery by branch managers' and employees', ignoring their customers' not following the FDCPA and laws concerning the regulation of collections.

Disabled Amereicans' and college students' should not be singeled out by this bank. I have lost all faith in commerical banks' because of the way Kenneth Lewis treats customers'. Its like the, "bear sh*t in the buckwheat!"
    Harrasement is inexcuseable by any average citizen why should Kenneth Lewis and his staff be excused?

Marsha Hopper Aug 11, 2016

This also happened to me but it was Wachovia who has the same practices.

• Ta
    Tammy Aug 11, 2016

Where to I go to make an official complaint about Bank of America? They did this to me also.

• Ro
    Robert Aug 11, 2016

My fiancee deposited a cashiers check and then after it was no longer pending took most of the money out. 8 days later they bounced the cashiers check and kept her payroll check. now they are saying we owe them the rest of the money. then they decided to take our savings money too. we have a complaint in with the better business bureau and now waiting for results

• Le
    leydi Aug 11, 2016

Bank of America is the worst bank ever. It should be called "FEE OF AMERICA". You get fees for everything. I called to stop an automatic payment and they charge me $45 dollars ...Also my CASH deposits have been held bank for 2 business days making my account over draft. After complaning to themt hat the cash deposit is available thay day they tell me they can withhold anything they wish to. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE...

• Si
    Sick of being screwed Aug 11, 2016

I had somewhat of the same thing happen. Everything was great, I added my husbands name to my account also and did the steps to make it a joint account. However when he deposited the check, they closed the account. It was only a bank account and debit card.. everything had cleared that was purchased with the debit but somehow when they closed my account I managed to receive a bill stating that I owed them over $200 bucks in over draft charges and they also kept the money from the check we sent in for deposit.. all emails I've sent were ignored and when I called they just passed me from one person to the next. BOA is seriously messed up.

• To
    tone Aug 11, 2016

They now charge 6 bucks to cash your payroll check that is drawn on their bank. This company does nothing more then take advantage of the working people.

• Mi
    missouri girl Aug 11, 2016

I am very stupid for not reading this a head of time. I saw a marketing ad for Bank of America and decided to open an account with them. I did so online tranferring on $100 to the account from my checking at a different bank. To my suprise I got a debt card for the account and an approval letter. About 5 days later I received my pin in the mail and a email with ONLINE BANKING information. So I called to activate my card and was told that I would need to activate card at an ATM. I found the closest ATM to my house was 47 miles away! Information I should have looked up but to my suprise when I got there it kept cancelling the transaction and no one in the bank new anything about my account. So I called BOA and they told me to call a diffrent number which was "the closure department". In which I was informed my account was closed, I asked why and they said that they reserve the right to close accounts. I asked if they were sending my money I deposited back and they said yes in a cashiers check in the mail. I asked if the Bank was closing doors not being sure why they would close accounts for no obvious reason or refuse business...and his answer was "nope but they are closing you"! I said "excuse me?" and dead silence on the phone. I said it again "excuse me" are you guys closing doors and he started histerically laughing and said "if there is nothing else here, have a great day" and hung up...WOW...

• K1
    K1234 Aug 11, 2016

I am enjoying all of the complaints about the overdraft fees for checking accounts. This may come as a surprise but if you do not have money in your account, and withdraw funds, this results in an overdraft. YES, this is shocking!!! This is actually true for all banks not just BOA. I don't think that lack of the ability to balance your bank account is the bank's fault... Thank you for making me laugh today... :)

• Wi
    William P. Hall Aug 11, 2016

I posted about three months ago about my experience with BoA. I just want to update. After my previous post, I went in to the branch in Braemar Village Plaza, Bristow, Va. I asked to speak to the manager and after a minute, I was shown to her office. I explained what I wanted, and after she looked up my account, she started smiling and said that the bank would never take back the charges. After a little more back and forth, I said that I was going to take the bank to small claims court. She said to go ahead and started laughing(apparently she likes to take advantage of her customers). Then she started screaming to get out of her office.
    Today I got a letter from BoA saying that if I didn't give them money within 30 days, they would close my account and report me to ChexSystems(the pet credit-reporting agency for the banking industry) as being "unsatisfactory handling" of my account. The letter also said that the bank would refer my account to a collection agency. I called and once again explained why I didn't owe the bank anything(in fact, the bank owes me money). The "customer service representative" said there was nothing he could do, and when I asked to speak to his supervisor, he hung up on me.
    Maybe they are upset that congress has banned what they are doing now(when congress passed the morgage bill, they included a provision that says banks can only charge late fees when there is not enough money in the account when the check/debit is presented, not when it is done). This is going to cost the bank more than the amount in my account($39) no matter what happens when we go to court. Oh, well, guess this is why they lost so much money in the morgage business-no business sense.
    I'll post again after we go to court.

• K1
    K1234 Aug 11, 2016

****************************I am enjoying all of the complaints regarding the overdraft fees. This may come as a surprise but when you withdraw funds when there is not money in the account, this results in an overdraft. Yes, this is shocking!!! This actually happens with any bank not just BOA, you need to have money in your checking account, to be able to withdraw money... I don't think the lack of ability to balance a checking account is the bank's fault. OK everyone, let's grab our 1st grade math books and learn our addition and subtraction! Thank you for the comments I needed to laugh today. :)****************************************

• Si
    Single Mom...now broke Aug 11, 2016

Well, I certainly feel as though I've been robbed.
    I am a single mom living check to check but have managed to survive this drowning economy with my head above the water...at least until now. I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point.
    I had always paid my rent and two bills owed via bill pay. They had always sent checks out. In recent months, bill pays to one company kept processing a few days ahead of time and the funds were not there so they charged me an overdraft fee. They were kind enough to reverse the fees (happened 3 times), since they said "we mail checks and they should not be allowed to cash them until the date on the check" which was the date I requested on the bill pays.

My last direct deposit was not as much as I thought it would be so I quickly tried to cancel my rent check...but it had already been sent. I called my landlord and explained the situation and she agreed to hold onto the check until the rest of the funds could be made available. In the mean time, I had processed a couple of small payments...credit card payments, some food, and i rented a movie.
    Imagine my shock and surprise when my card was declined at the grocery store for a $6.00 charge. I thought...omg, my landlord cashed the check...and sure enough the funds were gone from my acct when i checked. But my landlord says "no i have it right here". I call the bank and am told "We changed our policies and are sending cashier checks now".
    OMG
    Did they think of notifying us? The man on the phone says "We dont have to"
    OMG!!!
    5 piddly little charges that were made all end up with overdraft fees of $35 each...all of which would have been covered had they not suddenly done 'cashier's checks' without warning...or if they would have put the smaller piddly charges through first instead of last. I am told if i get the 'cashier check' back from my landlord and redeposit it, then they will discuss reversing my fees.
    I get the check back and surprise, NOWHERE on the check does it say 'cashiers check". But oh well, whatever. I take it to the bank manager as I am told and he tells me that I should take the time to read my statements...which i dont get mind you, since they encourage online banking and such. But that's ok...i get that, my fault...whatever... but I am returning it and would like to get at least some of those charges reversed.
    The manager says he refused to reverse any of them because i had already had a few reversals! OMG !!! they were reversed because the bank sent out checks that cashed earlier then the date on the check!!! IT WAS THEIR FAULT and yet he refuses to reverse any of my fees because I'd already had the 'courtesy' of reversing the fees in the past! I could not believe it. I kept trying to tell him that those fees were reversed due to bank errors but he wouldnt even LOOK at the computer to see what I was saying was true. Needless to say, I closed my account.

To make matters worse, out of all the piddly little charges they decided to return the very one that would cost me the most money. A credit card payment...which has now cost me 125 dollars in fees for being returned.

How is a single mother who lives paycheck to paycheck ever going to overcome this? Thanks to bank of america I am now out $400 in fees and late charges...$400 is like, 45 dollars less than what i made on today's TWO WEEK paycheck!

And to make matters worse, I had just gotten preapproval to buy a home...nothing fancy, but enough for my family to live comfortably. Thanks to this, I've been declined. I wont be able to be approved for another 5 years. Bank of america cost me $400 in fees, cost me my house...my dream! That can never be repaid. And if something doesnt happen to fall in my lap, they'll cost me the roof over my head.

Please...unless you are filthy rich, stay away from bank of america. They do not care about their customers and they change their policies so often that it causes so many problems to so many people. They charge overdrafts for PENDING charges that havent even posted to your account yet. So if some company out there accidentally types in the wrong amount (100.00 if the . is forgotten easily becomes 10000.00) and you dont have it in your account...you're charged an overdraft fee, even though that amount will never actuall post. I pray that no one else has to suffer what they've inflicted upon me.