American Mall Model SearchSCAM SCAM SCAM

I got involved with them just by filling out a little slip in the mall, I was just curious. I wasn't expecting much out of it. Well about a week later, I get a call asking me to audition for them the following day (I was still just curious and figured why not?) Well, I made it past the first round, and my "judges sheet" said to see the judge before leaving. So, I did and she asked me to intern for them. She said that they thought I was perfect for them (Im 5'9 & a size 2, whos been trying to make it in this industry for a long time.) Once I got picked, they then asked for at least 50 dollars on the spot for the credentials & copyrights to the pictures. Then they were asking for 3 payments of 50 dollars total...

So I asked the "judge" - So, if I go and bring you my headshot & a couple of other pictures in my portfolio, (I have a photographer friend that does an awesome job) I shouldn't have to pay you a dime? (When I asked what the money was for earlier, the pictures was the only answer) well...

Her response- No. You need OUR pictures in order to COMPETE. We need to see how you work in a photoshoot setting, and since you dont have much on your resume, the most we could do is let you pay in 20 dollar intervals. Getting your pictures done at the picture people isnt showing us that you have modeling potential.

So by then, i was really fired up & I asked another question- Well, I have been involved in LOTS of things like this (Barbazon, John Robert Powers) where I've gotten through, (along with everybody else who auditoned) and they said they really like me & such, but, in order to move on, you need to pay us. Ive put way to much money into just a maybe, or classes.

Her response- Well, were definetly not a scam, because were giving you the option to walk away. If we were scamming you, we would make you pay, plus this is ofr work, not for classes.

I mean, I give them credit, they have the speech down. But Im sorry, if a REAL modeling angency, (which they are not, they claim to be sort of a "middle man", who will send your stuff out to the real agencies) but, if a real modeling agency was as interested in me as AMMS said they were, they would NEVER just let me walk away. Also, I do understand that pictures cost money and your original headshot & bodyshots will probably cost you something, however, i dont think you should HAVE to get them taken with this company or pay nearly as much as 150 dollars to do it.

For a real agency, You would NEVER pay them to represent them. In the "real world" if you are good enough, they wouldnt even bother with the little kids and people they weren't interested in. Thats why you can tell that they are fake, because they put everyone through, no matter the age or anything. I feel bad for the people that actually gave them their money. SO what happens if you give them the $150, and dont even win the contest?! Well anyway, a real angency would also know if you really have what it takes, the agency gets paid when you get paid. Their goal is you get YOU hired, so that hopefully, they will get profit from it. These people are just a waste of your time & money.

Also, aside from the adults, all of the young people that worked for them, were very rude and not very helpful. Excpecially once I said I wasn't paying. So, from personal experience, if you really wanna make it and are serious about modeling, skip them, and contact the agencies yourself. You can do exactly what they "claim" to do. :)

• Sk
    skisom Feb 06, 2018

Exactly! You fit under the definition of fraud and deceit. You have intentionally left out and/or misrepresented facts about what you do. "Auditions for the Fashion and Talent show here at the mall start this month!! Top models in the talent and fashion show will win a 1 year contract with a top agency or make it to our fashion board." "Win a 1 year contract" that you have to pay for? Or is that just for one person that you know has what it takes and you know will make you some money? The others you charge because you aren't sure if they will make you any money or not; or you know they won't, but you have already been paid, so, it doesn't matter. We hear of TV almost daily, "If you have to pay for something that you have WON, it's a scam." If you have to pay for it, you didn't win it.

• Mi
    missing link Apr 02, 2011

It may be in the handbook but it doesn't happen. It's long been an understanding especially for managers that they and everyone else are expected to punch out for "breaks" even when the work load means you can't actually get something to eat. This makes it look like they aren't breaking the law. But the work doesn't stop especially during peak times without customer service complaints so usually associates actually just get a few minutes to grab a smoke or eat something. But managers just keep working off the clock and I know personally I have gone over 7 hours without a bathroom break, much less food. Thank God I don't smoke! In the past, an email was sent that put it in writing that this was being done and that person was discharged soon after. (Not for breaking policy but for putting it in writing, I'm sure) And now, with labor hours cut even further oftentimes only one person (manager) is on per shift working alone so there is now not even a pretense that a break is possible so no one is punching out. They just keep working trying to keep this company going and the customers as happy as possible during very impossible situations. If there is a class action suit, I will be the first to sign up for it and for other wrongful actions done by this company. But since this is another new owner, probably only the current labor issue will stick for now.

• Xr
    xrebekahleighx Jan 31, 2011

"Win or lose, the contestant will get to keep the pictures from the photo shoot, along with the full copyright release to their photos. Anyone who is serious about pursing a modeling career would need everything that The AMMS is providing for a reasonable fee. The AMMS offers a service; contestants pay a fee for the service; the promised service is delivered. "
    ###. I gave you ###s $150 and I STILL haven't received my photos. When you tell people who have spent $150+ on a service and you don't give them what they have paid for, that's STEALING.

• He
    herpington mcderp Jan 28, 2011

you do realize that AMMS is not a modeling agency...they are scouts FOR talent and modeling agencies...they are merely the middle man...in order for them to do their job they need to see if you qualify in certain areas...your not competing for a spot in a modeling agency, your competing for them to send your portfolio to multiple agencies...i intern for them and have no problem doing it, its easy work and i'm as nice as i can possibly be to anyone who has questions or concerns, we also put everyone through because only the people who actually want to pursue it and think they can make it through the talent show will pay and show off what they got, so just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that AMMS is a scam, its just that we run differently i guess your just used to something different

• Li
    lil_diabliita Jan 06, 2011

I agree with you i mean why would you pay 150.00 just for a picture and your not even sure that your going to win the contest wtf.. i agree AMMS is a scam

• La
    LawLady Nov 24, 2010

The American Mall Model Search is the nations's largest scouting tour, producing models for fashion industry, and promoting talent to the film industry. Founded in 1982, AMMS has over 25 years of experience in discovering new young talent and launching new careers. The AMMS has placed models and actors in top jobs for Runway, Print work, TV and Film. Our winners have been placed with premier agencies like IMG, Ford, Elite, Model Productions, Trump Model Management, and Next Models. Since most new models have no resume' or portfolio, the AMMS provides new talent across the country with the following:

1- A photo shoot, digital portfolio, copyright to all photographs.

2- A fashion show, DVD of performance

3- Talent segment to demonstrate their talent, show off their look, and develop their portfolio, which is required in all castings.

The AMMS makes it abundantly clear that it does not guarantee success for any contestant. In fact, modeling agencies select models based on various criteria such as: whether the model is photogenic; whether he or she shows different emotions; do they have 'the look'?; and the modeling agency's need in the industry at that particular time. The AMMS does not expressly or impliedly indicate that a contestants' performance or participation in the AMMS with result in the award of a contract. In fact, The AMMS clearly states in its Contestant Orientation booklet that:

Only the top 25% of those auditioning in each age category will go on to sign contracts with national agencies. Win or lose, the contestant will get to keep the pictures from the photo shoot, along with the full copyright release to their photos. Anyone who is serious about pursing a modeling career would need everything that The AMMS is providing for a reasonable fee. The AMMS offers a service; contestants pay a fee for the service; the promised service is delivered.

The AMMS prides itself in its work product and the services that are provided. Our public relations and legal department have therefore issued the following statement to clarify any confusion that may arise. Although laws differ from state to state, generally speaking, "Fraud" is defined as follows:

Any act, expression, omission, or concealment calculated to deceive another to his or her disadvantage
    ;specifically : a misrepresentation or concealment with reference to some fact material to a transaction that is made with knowledge of its falsity or in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity and with the intent to deceive another and that is reasonably relied on by the other who is injured thereby

Fraud misrepresentation means:

an intentionally or sometimes negligently false representation made verbally, by conduct, or sometimes by nondisclosure or concealment and often for the purpose of deceiving, defrauding, or causing another to rely on it detrimentally

"Deceit" is defined as:

deliberate and misleading concealment, false declaration, or artifice

The AMMS does not participate in illegal activity of any sort. If a model contestant is unsuccessful in the search, the result of his or her performance should not be interpreted as an improper business practice on the part of the AMMS.