Menu
American Home Shield [AHS]
reviews & complaints

American Home Shield [AHS]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

850 complaints
54 resolved 796 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of American Home Shield [AHS]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
S
7:23 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Home warranty

I had to call AMS for a issue. I shower was turning cold in the middle of taking a shower. A plumber came out said it was a valve and would have to order part. Part came a week later and plumber stated it would cost 350 to fix and AMS wouldn’t cover it. I called AMS and they said it would be covered and they would contact plumber. This issue has been going on for 2 months! Every time a call AHS they say it will be resolved with 24-48 hours. Finally call back and want some kind of answer and they say I have to pay another service fee. I wouldn’t pay them a nickel and now they want me to wait 24-48 hours to talk to a supervisor. When I did actually talk to a customer service representative they were rude and said things under there breath that they thought I could hear. Worst place no customer service they don’t care about anyone

Desired outcome: Fix my plumber issue that has been going on for over 2 months!

4:01 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

American Home Shield [AHS] - We paid for a service call to have our dryer repaired

We put in a service request to have our dryer repaired because the drum was not turning. 0n 3/25/22, a service tech came out and discovered the belt needed to be replaced. A few days later when we washed some clothes, we noticed that the dryer was making a new noise that we never experienced in the past. We contacted AHS and created a new service request on 3/29/22 for the same company to come out and re-check the dryer for new problems. The service tech noticed the noise as odd too but could not figure out what was causing it. He decided to loosen a couple of screws that were located near the lint trap on top of the dryer to lessen the noise but he did not fix the issue. We contacted AHS after that second call and advised them that the problem was still not fixed, in which they said that they would contact the service company for more information and get back to us on 4/11/22. We did not get a response from AHS and called them to find out what was happening on this issue on 4/12/22. We were told that the request was completed and that no further service would be done for noises. The service request # 108596138 was pending before we called for a status but during that call it was changed to completed. When we questioned that status we were told that they do not continue service requests for noises on appliances. The information they received came from the service company that created the new noise on our dryer and lied to AHS to complete the service request. We have been members with AHS for 5 years but after this last experience, we will likely be looking at their competitors for this insurance for the future.

Desired outcome: Repair our dryer and eliminate the noise

M
3:28 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - gas wall heatet

First I must note that American Home Shield is NOT the same company it once was just 2 years ago. It is how completely managed overseas. Every phone call - even to its supposed HQ in TN, USA - is answered in the Philippines. It is difficult to understand what the agents are saying, and they are merely reading from a procedures book. I have been waiting since Jan 2022 to have my wall furnace replaced . It took them until March 2022 to even send the promised Sears tech to inspect it. The service tech confirmed it needed replacement, but AHS has yet to authorize the replacement over two weeks later. So over 3 months later, I still have no heater. I do not understand how sham companies like this are allowed to remain in business. AHS only pretends to be in the home warranty business.

Desired outcome: Replacement of my wall heater quickly.

D
2:46 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Freezer/Home warranty coverage

We were told when we enrolled that they covered high end appliances since we had a Subzero fridge and freezer. They had said that both would be covered.

When we had an issue with them, the technicians came out right away to try and fix the issue. When the technicians couldn't fix it, they put in for a replacement. The fridge cost us $11,000 to replace and the freezer cost us another $6,000. When we received the replacement check, it was for $2,880. When we called, they said that they only covered a maximum of $3,000 per appliance. When we asked them about the freezer reimbursement, they said that they do not cover free standing freezers. So the coverage that we were told was far from what they actually covered. They only covered 17% of our costs. Then when we said we wanted to cancel our service, they kept the auto fee feature on. SO we were charged multiple months and they said that they won't reimburse those months. DO NOT USE AMERICAN HOME SHIELD!

Desired outcome: Reimburse us for the freezer, even if it is capped at $3,000 and reimburse us for the 12 months that you billed us for after we asked to cancel your service.

G
5:05 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Contract 423266917 - Refund Needed

Issue: April 2019 I called to cancel Contract 423266917 for 1 emory Court, Millstone township nj 08535 linked to [email protected] and they advised it was canceled.

However, We have been getting charged monthly since April 2019 to now. this is ridiculous . I's robbery.!

I spoke with Lester on 4/4/22 Badge No 514189 he agreed this was AHS Mistake and submitted a request for Credit. Prior to this call. I also called numerous times w. no resolution.

I just called back and I was told I wasn't receiving any refund and that my contract is still in place.. This iS WRONG! I need my refund from May 2019 until March 2022.

I will get my Lawyer involved if Needed

I need someone with the power to process my refund to call me back asap! 908.692.0952

Thank you!

Desired outcome: Please refund me the months starting May 2019 to March 2022.

R
6:44 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

American Home Shield [AHS] - Getting repairs done.

I have had an account with this company for 3years. Now that I am calling on them, I continually get the run around. The very first claim for my refrigerator was put in and answered. Someone came out to repair including repair man having to order parts and returning to install new parts all happened within 6wks. from original request. During that time, in beginning of Feb, 2022 I also called in for a repair of my electrical switches that is also covered. They have given me so many run arounds reasons including the company they referred me to. It's been almost 2mos and I still don't even have an appointment for repair man to come out.

Desired outcome: That when I call in a request for repair my request would be taken care of in a timely manner just like they want my payments timely.

T
1:07 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Oven Repair

On Feb 22, 2022 I contacted AHS to request servicing my double oven. The heating element was out on the upper oven making it unusable, and the lower oven heated slowly and irregularly. The lower oven took 20-30 minutes to reach 350 degrees, and sometimes it would heat to 425 or 325. A service man from Accord Appliance was dispatched and looked at the oven on Feb 28. The serviceman determined that the heating elements were not working and needed to be replaced for both ovens. He said he would order the parts and return in 2 weeks. The serviceman told me that he would order the parts, but AHS had to approve it before he could repair the oven. I waited two weeks and didn't hear from Accord Appliance, so I called them and they told me the ticket was closed. They didn't know why. So I called AHS to inquire about why the parts weren't ordered and they informed me that Accord said the problem was resolved so the ticket was closed.

AHS suggested I open another ticket and have a senior serviceman come out to look at the oven. So on March 24th the same service man was sent from Accord Appliance to rediagnose the problem with the ovens. He remembered the problem and said he had ordered the parts before but it must have been denied. He said he would resubmit the order for the parts. I followed up by AHS on March 29th and they told me the serviceman requested parts to replace the oven door hinge. I explained that there isn't a problem with the hinge. The problem is that the one oven doesn't heat, and the other is irregular. AHS offered to send another serviceman out to rediagnose the problem again.

At this point I determined that the two companies (AHS & Accord Appliance) aren't interested in fixing the oven. On April 5th I cancelled the policy because the only solution AHS offered was to send out another repairman from Accord Appliance to rediagnose the same problem they already diagnosed twice.

This is more than inefficiency or poor communication between companies. I feel as though AHS sells a fraudulent policy that they have no intention of fulfilling.

Desired outcome: Refund the full value of the policy.

E
10:50 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Pipe burst not an emergency to @ahs warranty

Today pipe burst! No running water for over 4 hrs plus waiting on dispatch to get emergency contractor! The children can't eat, drink, use bathroom which is not humane! Could have had a contractor out myself but @AHS_Warranty declined to authorize independent contractor. Instead they have me wait & keep my phone line open for the dispatch department while me and my children suffer. This waiting game @AHS play with you during an emergency is nothing but a ruse, an attempt to buy them time, because in actual they do not have contractors that do emergency work. They do not care about my children, the water damage to my home from the burst pipe, the distress, panic, and anxiety I feel.

2:32 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - C & C Appliance Repair

I was assigned a company to come out and fix my gas range. The company came out and told me that they would have to order a part for my Samsung Range. That was Jan 24 2022. The company let a message on my home phone on 2/18/22 to say that they had the part. I don't know why he called on that phone when he came out to my house I informed him to call my mobile phone number. I called back in early March and spoke to a young lady and she said the company said that they could bring the part out today. When I contacted the company he said no he couldn't come today but he could come tomorrow. I informed him I had to work and that we could scheduled it for the following day he said ok. I said please call on my mobile so I won't miss the call. I haven't heard anything from the company. Today is April 1st. I just got off the phone with Ellie at 10:03 4/1/22 she informed me she couldn't get in touch with the company. She informed me she put out an urgent request so she could see what's going on with the part. Ellie said I should hear something back within 24 to 48 hours. I haven't had anything like this to happen with American Home shield and I really would appreciate someone to come out and fix my range. If I could get another company I would appreciate that.

7:33 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Service tech closed ticket , did not install the part and indicated appliance was fixed when it was not

I scheduled appointment with American home shield in December of 2021 this appointment was canceled and rescheduled 3 times By the contractor Upon showing up diagnosed the problem supposedly ordered the part haded sent to my house and was supposed to come back and fix it only to find out that he closed the ticket and nothing was ever done I have been waiting for 4 months still paying my deductible and the $100 charge. I even told them to come and look at the part to prove it has not been replaced. I have called customer service 8 times and every time I am given a different answer or a different excuse. I have emails from the service Tech of all the cancelations as yes as well as his phone call to let me know that the part was on back order but those don't seem to matter

Desired outcome: Either fix my dishwasher get me a different one or give me my money back for the last 4 months so that I can get a different warranty plan. I am not paying for a service Tech to come out again when he didn't fix it the 1st time.

1:25 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

American Home Shield [AHS] - HSA home warranty coverage for 3101 Elmwood Ave., Erie, PA, 16508

I have never owned a policy like this. I did not read all of the details in advance.

My continued insurance coverage at risk. The agent noted old furnace was 1978. Per his observation - the average life of a furnace is 15-20 years. Furnace was 43 years old. "The reason insurance companies refuse to insure homes with old furnaces is the high probability of the furnace malfunctioning...soot...carbon monoxide..." leaking into the home.

I replace this old furnace ASAP. .

Desired outcome: Please reimburse me the maximum amount allowed by my policy. Cooling. The cost was $1950.00. Carolyn M. Beck, 814-440-6945

R
5:02 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Ice o matic Stand alone ice maker

I called in november 2021 to get my Ice maker fixed #87513608

still not working not one of your venders came out called many times keep getting the run around . Im very upset Big time.!

They keep telling me a manager calling me back from the escalations dept

3 diffrent t6imes nowin the last couple weeks alone nothing .

No calls back

Please Help me get this resolved.ASAP its been almost a year now.

Sincerly

Ramdy

16410 W whirlaway Lane

Veradale wa 99037

509 954 4855

Desired outcome: get it fixed or get me a new one right away!!!

11:02 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Well water pump

I had a well water pump installed at my residence on March 30, 2022. I have called them and sent things in that they asked for over and over. I still have not gotten payment for service. When I call to try and get this issue resolved, they give me a different answer every time. I just want to receive the payment, so that I will be able to get the contractor paid, please.

Thank you!

View 0 more photos
F
9:10 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Thursday evening we had our water heater go out, we submitted our claim that night and were assigned the vendor by the morning. Vendor did not follow up with phone call or email. I decided to follow up with the vendor around 3pm Friday as not having hot water for a toddler and pregnant wife is a fair bit of ridiculous. The vendor picks up and states that he...

12:37 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On March 21, 2022, at approximately 2:00am, I filed a service request for a leaking shower faucet. At 2:14am I received a response a contractor had been assigned. I contacted the contractor. I was given an appointment for March 22, 2022, between 10:00am-3:00pm. I was advised I should try contacting AHS for an earlier appt as I had to shut the water off to...

American Home Shield [AHS] - Dryer repair

Recently had AHS assign DNG Appliance Services LLC to repair my dryer. I spent hours waiting for a tech only to find he just came to look at it and schedule another appointment later in the week. A tech was supposed to show from 2PM - 7PM on a Thursday. The tech finally showed at 9PM. He said it was all fixed. He did such a shoddy job at putting it back together that part of the drum felt gasket came off and wrapped around my clothes while they were drying. The dryer worked for about a day. I called 3 times to get somebody out to fix it, and they gave me another appointment days later. They said that would be a supervisor, so I don't expect it to be fixed then either. I don't ever want DNG to be assigned to any of my future work orders. For the second week, I'm without laundry service.

Desired outcome: Put additional work orders caused by their techs, at the top of the list.

V
9:20 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am submitting this compliant, so that it does not occur to anyone else hopefully. I purchased warranty with this company only to have my claims denied when company they sent out denied fixing equipment. First incident occurred the first yr. with the company AHS. I submitted claim for bathroom exhaust fan, since I knew I could put multiple claims due to...

T
3:34 pm

American Home Shield [AHS] - Coverage- customer service

We have a service contract with AHS. Upon contacting them due to our air system needing repair-we were quickly provided with a company name and dispatch information. They quickly took th $100.00 call fee.

We attempted to contact the company but no one returned our call. We contacted AHS and asked if we could be provided with another contractor and they said there was no one else. We asked if they could consider it an emergency as it is 90 degrees and the temperature in the house is increasing and they could not expedite it and instead stated it is normal protocol. Secondly we asked for a manager and for 30 minutes we were told the manager was on another call. This is not good service. Customers determine what is normal/emergent for them not the company who we pay. In addition, managers should always be available to speak with customers when needed.

AHS is a disappointment. The efforts that re put into marketing should be put into customer service.

S
5:02 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Service order placed March 14, 2022, for broken fridge not cooling properly. No contact from the service provider "smart environment" always received voicemails. AHS finally contacted "Smart environment," said they would phone me and they did only to say that it would take 2 days before coming out and that was because they received a cancellation. I...

10:35 am

American Home Shield [AHS] - Furnace Repair

I just purchased a house and I've requested service on multiple issues. My furnace is extremely loud. A tech came out and said it needs an $800 part for the fan. He said he would put the part and noise issue in the report. When I looked at my account, the request for the furnace was closed and completed. I called customer service multiple times, and Sears where the tech came from. There was no record of anything on the report. I was told it showed everything is working fine and no issues.

Sears said that THEIR report shows details of the part and notes.

This was then sent back over to AHS. Request still shows that everything is working fine.

I'm not sure why I can't get an answer. I put the request order in on 2/11/22.

I researched AHS quite a bit for specifics on the contract before I signed up. When I felt like I would be able to get services that I needed, I got an account. Between this, an electrical issue, a tub issue and trying to figure out why I have an additional unknown service call charge, I'm pretty disapointed. There's no way to even talk to anyone at the company to help. Maybe they don't think people will complain?

Desired outcome: I would like a response and to know when the furnace will be repaired. Also, looking for a way to contact someone about my other request issues. Thank you, Julie

American Home Shield [AHS] contacts