American Expressfailed fraud investigation

J

A charge for Peru Rail appeared on my bill while I was traveling in India. I did not notice the charge until after returning home, after the 60-day period to appeal charges had passed. I explained to American Express that my delayed response was due to travels in India, so they agreed to investigate the charge. They dropped the investigation twice without showing any evidence or result of inquiry, stating simply that I was responsible for the charge since I did not appeal it within 60 days. I know the charge is not mine, and American Express knows I was in India when the charge was made in Peru, but they deny any responsibility to investigate or show evidence the charge is legitimate.