Menu
American Express
reviews & complaints

American Express
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

330 complaints
144 resolved 186 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of American Express. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
T
1:55 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

i am usually a fan of Amex... but recently they sent me a letter (from P. Hopkins) asking me to call 1-866-648-6163... I called and was put on hold for over 30 minutes???!!!... when I used LiveChat they told me everything was fine... really pissed me off... why bug a happy customer and waste 20 minutes of their day???!!!... bad Amex - not such a fan anymore

L
8:19 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I used AM card around 2 years, When I got this card immediately to apply for online banking, and then i calling them i want to know which amount i should to pay, they told me recent charges, so i just paid recent charges every month, actually, the statement and amount was wholly correct.Until today i found they charge me $193 for interests, i calling them...

5:01 pm

American Express - amex sucks

I have perfect credit score and spend $40, 000 a month between 2 cards. We use them to buy product to resale. I have never been late and used the cards and made payments based on their own rules. One day, my card quits working and I get a phone call saying they have put a limit on my cards because of debt to income ratio. No lead time or nothing. My business plan was wrapped around using American Express. I have to go acquire new cards and that takes time, or get credit terms from my vendors, once again that takes time.

So, in the meantime I have to listen to my customer ### because I can't ship product. I am not going to pay them early just to use the cards! They could have told me to plan for a credit cap in 60 days and to plan around that. But, NO! They screwed me and don't care. I got MasterCard and VISA now. The customer service rep even had the nerves to tell me I had options and choices! UGH How does American Express stay in business?

2:06 pm

American Express - lowering credit line for incorrect and falsified reason

Have been customer with Amex since 1997, paying $450 for the Delta Reserve card and also the $150 for the Gold card and the SPG cards. Recently received a letter 'we are reducing credit limit from $25, 000 to $2600' because I have recently taken some financing from other banks to open up a business! Now, last year, I made transactions over $80, 000 in total between all cards and almost the same the year before. Again, no late payments whatsoever! I called to ask and they said I would need to provide additional information to them if I wanted to have them look at the credit again. I expressed my thank yous and said it was ok and we just continue cause I did not want a hard enquiry. A couple of days later, I paid $2, 000 to the Delta Reserve card just so I could have enough to run some Delta expenses on it. A day later I get a call from a nasty person at AMEX asking why I paid in advance (I am setup on automatic payments every month). He categorically threatened to cancel the card if I did not convince him otherwise. Next thing I know ALL MY CARDS are cancelled! All points and everything gone! I paid $450 and $150 for the cards for the year and they just did not even refund that money! I was sent to various departments including credit and the RLA department (who had cancelled the account). I was told I had 'too many delinquent accounts' 'and I was late - which has NEVER EVER been the case. I have made repeated calls to American Express to ask why and where they obtained their false information and that they have caused me a great deal of distress and wasted time contacting the credit bureaus to investigate. Also told me the reason it was closed was that I had another American Express account (a green card) and I had not maintained in terms of agreement and closed over 7 years back in 2005 which is completely falsified information. I have had no such thing on my credit report now or in the past. No recourse and I lose all points, everything and my credit is in trouble! I have no one to turn to or no way to fix this. I am appalled at the conduct of American Express and their blatant and willful misrepresentation of customer's alleged 'bad credit'.

5 comments
Oct 14, 2013 7:31 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

In 2000 I had an anecdotes bill for aprox 1, 800 pounds, unfortunatley my marriage broke down, my 12yr old daughter got killed, and the bill was not paid, drakes solicitors in Brighton put a charge on my house, and took 19, 000 pounds, is this fair? I don't think so

Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I meant American express bill.

Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

I agree with you brother!

Oct 09, 2013 10:28 pm

I had a gold card since 1990 and was routinely making charges of over $20, 000 per month paying it off the same month also NEVER EVER LATE and they cancelled my card last year took all of my points (several hundred thousand of them)...they won't give me a reason, just the runaround every time I've call transferring me from one department to another. My credit to a big nose dive because of their actions. They have inaccurately reported my credit limit usage etc to all three credit reporting agencies. If this is how they treat really good customers, I would hate to even be a regular customer let alone a bad one. There doesn't seem to be any recourse or penalties for their actions.

Aug 31, 2013 8:21 am

Change credit card. Also because if you come in Europe almost no one will accept American Express here..

4:17 pm

American Express - Bogus offer

Amex is offering a Reserve Delta Amex card. It has a very high annual fee, but substantial benefits - supposedly. One benefit is you get 10, 000 MQM miles and 10, 000 bonus miles (which is a bit of a scam in itself, because both of them add up to just 10, 000 miles as if you flew them) upon making your first charge on the card. So I called and said I already have a Delta Platinum card, so I just want to upgrade. The guy said OK, but you only get 5, 000 miles for upgrading. I said OK, but when I did my figuring, I was assuming 10, 000 miles, so that changes things. Let me refigure, I said, and we said goodbye. I called later the same day and another customer service guy told me that since I already called and didn't take their offer on my first call, the offer was no longer valid. So I could sign up, but now instead of 5, 000 miles I would get zero. Are they nuts? And I've been a loyal customer for years! I don't understand that kind of horrible, illogical customer service.

M
2:07 am

American Express - late fee and finance charges

I have been an American Express card holder since 1983. I missed making the credit card payment by one day and I was charged a late fee and finance charge to my shock. I called the customer service and talked to a rep about the charges. She started telling me about company policy and why I was charged late fee and finance charges. I asked her to waive the charges. She said she can waive the late fee but not the finance charges and she has to get a supervisor. The supervisor started telling me that they cannot waive the Fee or the Finance charges because they did it once before and it is only a one time courtesy and he refused to waive the late fee and or finance charge. Their customer service lacks integrity. I have decided to cancel the card.

1 comment
M
Jul 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Their customer service lacked integrity? Why, because you didn't get your way? You paid late, you got a late fee, and they didn't reverse it because you've gotten late fees in the past removed.

2:09 am

American Express - internet harassment

I was followed on the internet for 6 months by timothy curtin law firm located in atlanta, georgia. The # (404) 262-0290. They are in collection. And client is american express. I was harassed in a very evil and vindictive horrifying way.

I have a debt with them and unfortunately had a (Bulging herniated disk) that is very painful and has been keeping me down. I had an mri and have record. I was in the printing industry and trying to get better at my residence. There are a lot of things I can do on the computer I have. However not for too long and sometime not at all. The last medical adviser said I could apply for disability. I do not want that. Hope not to.

I’m 47 and want to get back to the field of my major after years of customer service, billing, and was going well when they interrupted and honestly scared me for 6 months.

The harassment started on twitter then youtube. And everywhere else. My partner and I have been together for 23 years and live in midtown. We have actually been pillars of the community. We own and pay high taxes. Always done as much as possible even volunteer in making tons of calls in election four years ago. However we were younger and healthier then. Now slowing down.

I was followed on these sites and harassed. At first I had felt so much evil from what they were doing. They were able to access photos of mine. They took them and altered them with by adding other people in them. They used my photos and created similar videos on youtube. If you know youtube. I have a channel and when you search it would bring up on the side videos suggested for you. So I followed in horror. The more I followed the videos the more private information I would see. Like my partners name and mine. Family names repeated. The images were red tone in color and the people looked fake.

I can tell fake and bad quality design because of my print experience. My partner took a break and left during holidays and my back was at its worst. So I could not go anywhere. I was fine with that and just wanted to work on my projects. The imagery got so bad and gave and complete statements when I went to the aol help page. I had felt and did find more. I was named a nobody.in the body of text in the web pages. Homophobic and for war against our president.

Clearly stated. You on the phone with your mom talking about a tech savvy friend to help. There was a loop in windows 8 that allowed access to private pc. Worried that you will loose personal information.

I knew it was a hacker and not a loop hole. I was terrified and called the police. The agency obviously set it up. The police acted confused as who called. And forced me to be evaluated taking my insurance information. I will have to let you know about the bill. I was kept in emergency area of hospital for about 4 hours. Of course just terrified. The physical concern I have is my back and no other concern except a bit depressed. However became so depressed by there harassment. I could barely move due to my back. I have been so scared and became their prisoner for six months.

They became lesser of a concern with new privacy adjustments and actually on a chat site for friends they reviled more. I confronted recently on the net in a long message.

I hope they have stopped I need to work at my residence. I like my work and avid pc user.

They interfered as a hacker that could be dangerous in many ways. There is not much I could do, so I suffered through. At same time my back at its worst. An aunt that was in serious condition and parents that were upset I could not visit during the holidays.

I just hope you can announce or help in a way so that if any one other individual of god stuck at home, not well, and alone will not be harassed to the point of horror for money.

It must have cost a fortune for them to do this. And really disturbing.

Thank you so very much and most sincerely,

An avid fan

3:13 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

So I have used my card for months with no complaints except the inability to get cash back and the face half of my utilities don't take AmEx. While I'm at Wal-mart last night I put $500 in cash on my card so I could pay some bills in the next few days. Then I wake up today, less than 12 hours after my deposit, and my whole account is frozen because I made...

L
1:52 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company Your Centurion Card www.yourcenturioncard.com offers to get you a Centurion card which is a Black American Express card by adding you to his account as an additional card holder. The interesting thing is American Express has a limit on additional card holders for the Centurion Card. What that means is a individual card member which he states he...

View 0 more photos
D
2:57 pm

American Express - misrepresntation of bonus rewards

Received an offer for AmEx Gold card for my busienss. if I spent $5, 000 by February 8th, 2013, i would receive bonus 50, 000 Membership Rewards points. Have spent over $5, 000, within the time period, and AmExp is now saying the end date was last month. I have all the support documentation and these jerks are saying it doesn't matter, i was signed up to a different promotion. Not only that, have been trying to get someone ther eto accept copies of my documentation, and no one cares. What a piece of crap. Doubtful I will be renewing this card when the year expires.
Disppointed Customer

11:51 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had put $100.00 on my new American Express Bluebird prepaid debit card and randomly used it for various purchases, and then a few days ago I logged onto my online account and discovered that I had spent about $80.00 but only had a little under $6.00 still available. Nearly $15.00 of my money was unaccounted for! However, since then, the mystery i...

V
7:19 am

American Express - bait and switch on lowest price guarantee

I recently made a room reservation via Amex Travel on the phone about 3 weeks out from date of check-in. The first thing I mentioned to agent was that I remembered seeing Lowest Price Guarantee on the room/hotel I was interested in. The booking agent said to submit the claim after making the booking and before the cancellation policy applies. This indicates to me there is some time between making the booking and cancellation kicking in.

I submitted the claim minutes after making the booking. Amex claims that because the room reservation is not cancellable, they will not honor the lowest price.

Amex should never have offered the Lowest Price Guarantee for this hotel/booking. It is impossible for ANYONE to be able to submit a claim and get a refund on the price difference. Maybe that is the idea? I cannot imagine that a company like Amex with a stellar reputation would stoop to a bait-and-switch tactic.

If I am offered a booking with a price protection and informed I should submit a claim before any cancellation penalties kick in, it is understood that there is a window of time between making the booking and when the cancellation penalties kick in, allowing me to submit the claim.

It is truly shocking they have stooped to this level.

7:41 am

American Express - auto payment

I want to say something about AMEX. Their Auto Payment feature is very bad. It doesn't recognize when you have paid the bill early and it will bill you again for the amount it has due, even when you have paid it days earlier. Many people are complaining of this problem and Amex refuses to address it. What makes matters worse is Amex will only send you a credit check out. They won't credit back the money. Basically they are getting interest off of that money until the check they send you clears. I'm going to continue to post this everywhere until they address this. This is bad business which I know will lead to many people cancelling memberships. We need to stop using credit cards unless we have no other choice. We have to hit them in the pockets the way they do us.

2:59 pm

American Express - poor customer service and no follow-through

Let's see after about 1HR! on the phone with different representatives... at the end it seems I could not get a hold of a supervisor at all! I just applied for the blue cash and heard it was a decent card. After two months of waiting and getting letters about additional information/confirmations needed- I was relieve that today it would all be taken care of- I WAS WRONG! I had to play phone tag, be transfer to numerous individual, one who shall not be named told me to call back- I refused as I had waited so long. If the service had been better, I might have overlooked the wait, the back and forth; however service is by far the worst I've had in years!
I asked to speak to a supervisor at the end and again, I waited and finally got a hold of a supervisor who said she is not the one I need to speak to and transferred me- again I waited. Someone came on and after several " I can not hear you" she hung up and I called back with more wait time.

I am reconsidering this card membership! what a shame, I haven't even receive my card yet. Imagine if service is this poor while they are trying to get me to sign up- how bad it would be when I have an issue or concern?

Is there a better way to make sure that things work out for the best next time? Is there a direct number to call to make sure I speak to someone who knows what they are doing instead of being transfer back and forth and spoken to like I am a child?

Not very happy and at this rate, NO. I will not recommend to anyone I know. I just hope it was all worth it for me. Please reconsider this membership if you value time and headaches!

K
9:00 am

American Express - offer to return card

I had an American Express Platinum card. I did fall behind but agreed to pay in a timely manor. I did pay all payment exactly on time and never fell behind. They promised to give my card back with miles on it if I keep paying on time. I paid them and they did have a credit on the card in June and July cause I keep paying on it. They then sent me a letter saying that if I paid for it they would reinstate my card. It never came in. I called and Zwicker and Associates told me to wait a little time more and it would be returned to me. I called American Express last week they said that would not reinstate my card. I have their letter stating that they would.
First how many other people have gown through this deception. I think its false advertising. Come to look back at this the are being deceptive to collect monies owed. I would have paid them any way. This should be illegal or something promise the sky and let that gray cloud hit you again.

10:51 am

American Express - annual membership fee

American Express recently changed the agreement to my credit card. I felt that this was unjust as I had a satisfactory credit line with them so I cancelled the account. When I cancelled the account, I told the agent that I wanted my annual fee refunded - $95.00. I was told that it would be credited to my account. The next month I did not receive my annual fee so I called again and was told by another customer service agent that my fee would show up on the next month. This month the fee is not refunded, so I called again and was told that I needed to have done this within the first 60 days. After 60 days, they are going to stick their customers regardless. They are the ones who changed the terms to my account. This seems with the outrageous membership fee and what they charge for interest they should be set for life.

12:05 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recommend that anyone considering purchasing an American Express/ Bluebird prepaid debit card that you steer clear of doing so. They misrepresent their services for this card. Stating you can reload your card for$1 and then you are unable to find the reload cards. The card costs $5.95 up front and then no fees after that except a reload fee of $1. Then...

N
7:10 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On going through papers of my father, who died in February 2006, I find that on July 24, 2006, my mother has sent to American Express Travel Related Services Company - Redemption Unit - World Wide Traveler Cheques Operations Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84184 - 3650, USA, through R Net Worldwide Courier, five American Express Travelers Cheques Nos. RA...

8:11 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

American Express recently came out with a new prepaid debit card called Blue Bird debit card. It has no monthly fees and no purchase fees. Basically the only fee it has a $1.00 reload fee with their reload cards. The problem is they came out with this card and it was sold through Walmart. Then after a short time the cards were pulled from Walmart but the...

B
5:22 pm

American Express - abusive aggressive fraud department

We closed both our American Express personal and merchant accounts after 21 years with the company. Our account was flagged by an overzealous Amex Fraud Department who felt one charge looked funny. Our account was frozen without any notification. When my Wife called to find out what was wrong the Woman who heads the department was immediately aggressive, condescending, and proceeded to threaten my Wife with damaging her credit by closing our account - unless we did exactly as she said. She told my Wife that she could not call anyone else for help and that each call would be routed directly to her, so we may as well not bother to go over her head. This woman was so cruel that my wife broke down in tears on the phone, and she is no shrinking violet by any standard. For 21 years we have been model customers, on time with our payments and never had any adverse issues with Amex. For Amex to mistreat us in this manner is an unacceptable standard of business practice. We talked to several CSR reps who were sympathetic and empathetic but had absolutely no power in regard to straightening the problem out. Amex's own employees were horrified by our experience and did their best to help, but my impression was that the FD runs things without much oversight. In the end we decided to pay off the total debt and close the account on the spot before the department head could follow through on her threat to purposely ruin our credit for "non-compliance". It is our humble opinion that the employees in that department need further training in their people skills set and anger management. I will never again do business with that company as either a private individual or as a merchant. They say the best message you can send to a business with poor standards is to vote with your feet, I agree wholeheartedly.

American Express contacts