Having problems with Airbnb?

Airbnb Customer Service Contacts

888 Brannan St., Floor 4
San Francisco, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Airbnb Customer Service. Initial Airbnb complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Airbnb above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Airbnb. Discuss the issues you have had with Airbnb and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

AirBNBtheir service is just ridiculous!

These people do not know how to rule a company! Their service is just ridiculous! This business is illegal and this site is a trap, both for owners and guests. This company does not care about their clients, and every time there is an issue they just disappear! They never respond and never communicate with customers. I used their service in the past, and I was on both sides, as an owner and as a guest! Both times I had bad experience. When I was a guest I got in a fight with the host, he was very aggressive. I asked company for help, but they just told how very sorry they are. Yes, and that was it. When I was an owner, they got me a horrible client. He was very rude and almost destroyed my apartment! Don't use their service, they will abandon you! They cannot be trusted!

AirBNBno customer support!

They don't have any customer support! I recently rented a small apartment which was a horrible place! That was very filthy property with many hazards like stains on carpets, broken doors and windows, with jagged edges, exposed wiring, all kind of bugs and insects, and other disgusting things. I communicated with the host through Airbnb' s website and asked him to return the cleaning fee $300. The host agreed. But later, when I left the property he refused to give me money. I asked Airbnb for help they said it was not their problem. Then they ignored all my messages and complaints. I had been using Airbnb for several months, and I never had any problems. They always were helpful and nice. But their attitude changed and I don't know why. I think I won't be using their service in the future.

AirBNB — unacceptable lodging

I rented an Master Suite on Airbnb. When I arrived - the room was like a teenager lived in it and was junk...

AirBNBdeceptive practices

Home owners who rent through Airbnb beware! You will be charged hundreds of dollars if you help a client who accidentally books your home and needs to edit, cancel, or make any changes. You also will never receive a payout from them until after the client departs, meaning they can keep the money they receive from your client for several years. Getting a resolution from them? Ha! Good luck- when I called I was told the wait time was 3 hours. By email I was told, "we cannot make all customers happy." Yes, when Airbnb lies to the home owner, I would think most of us would be unhappy.

AirBNBverification process

Airbnb has a "Verification" policy that requires you to upload onto their website your driver's license and passport. If you do not provide this information you are denied access to your account. They do NOT reveal this prior to your booking only after. This means that you cannot contact your host as all correspondence goes thru airbnb. These documents: drivers license and (especially) passport are not to be shared lightly!!! I have NEVER in over 40 years of making reservation been asked for such info. Exception is if one is applying for a Visa to another country and you apply thru an official Embassy. "Caveat Emptor" "Buyer Beware!"

Airbnb.com.auI was disappointed in the apartment, which they provided

People, be aware and don’t deal with the company www.Airbnb.com. Au. I booked apartment through the website, but when I arrived to this apartment, I was really disappointed. The rooms and everything didn’t look the same as it was on the website. I was disappointed, as well as this company asked to pay additional fee for some services, which I haven’t received at all. I wonder if there are other people, who had the same experience. Let’s share views about this website.

Airbnb.comservice fee

I reserved a home in pacific palisades through airbnb.com... It charged me the full price of the home for 2 days since I clicked on the instant book option. It turned out that the owner of the home didn't have their calendar updated so they couldn't fulfill my request. Airbnb interpretted this as my canceling the reservation against the policy of the owner so airbnb refused to reimburse me for the $65 service fee evern though the owner of the home insisted that it was her fault. I've sent countless emails to airbnb with no response... They make it very hard to contact airbnb in the first place, and then you never hear back from them... This is unacceptible!!! It's too bad because I had a great experience with someone else who did have their calenar updated and whom I rented their house. Do not book with airbnb!!! My advice to you, this is a horrrrrrible san francisco company!!!

• To
                Tooka Aug 20, 2012

My booking was canceled on the same day I was about to move in, and i received no compensation. Terrible service.

• Pr
                ProblemSolved23 Sep 26, 2013

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Enough complaints and they will have to answer for their bad customer service and negligent business practices.

AirBNBdishonest and disrespectful manner

The dishonest host is christina, her apartment is central, beside subway, indoor pool
              Apartment - shared room & middot; davisville ave, toronto, on m4s 1g3, canada.
              After an email agreement of alternated booking, I got a sudden notice from the host that the availability is gone because she assume I have changed the date and approved another new reservation on the date we had a agreement on.
              Apart from the dishonest behavior and business, when I was requesting the compensation for my loss of the service fee and the inconvenience, she started insulting me and accusing me as "harassing" her and refused to refund me the service fee.

This is not just about the money, it is about the dishonest and disrespectful manner.
              I am serious about this complain and I want an explanation and an apology!

dishonest and disrespectful manner

AirBNBcancelled my refund

I booked a 22 day stay with Airbnb in Seattle while we awaited our new house to close. 2 weeks into the stay I found we would be able to move in earlier than expected so I contacted my host and then cancelled the reservation on Airbnb. Well my host could not figure out on their ridiculously non-intuitive system how to cancel her end of the reservation so it stayed open throughout the 22 days. As far as I am concerned I did what was required according to their rules. Two months later they have "closed" my reservation and are telling me that I do not get a refund since my "host" did not "accept" my cancellation. So she keeps the money!!! This is over $500.
                I am furious over this transaction and have gotten nothing from airbnb but the run around and then they just closed the ticket!! Now I am unable to give a review on the property and what transpired.
                As a side note the place we stayed was less than adequate. The linens were paper thin and the rooms smelled of dust. I had to sleep on the couch to get a decent nights sleep due to the dust and the noise from the busy street 4 feet from the window.

Airbnb.comthis is clearly a scammer's behavior

Negative experience as a host.

We rented a Manhattan 2BR place for 6 nights to an SF couple.
                  While we were away on vacation, at the time of their checking in, we learnt with disbelief that the couple had complained about our place directly to AIRBNB and got full refund on the $1, 400 rent.

They complained that there were no towels in the bedroom, we had notified them about this, and that the sheets were dirty, which was just wrong as we could prove with the laundry ticket of the day we left our place...
                  This is clearly a scammer's behavior. The guests just booked our place as a backup plan and cancelled it last minute.

Cancellation was done behind our back and AIRBNB would not hear anything from us, denying a fair treatment of the parties in the matter.

We rented our place via Craigslist several times before and it always went well, as we fortunately dealt with trustworthy people.

My advice is to avoid AIRBNB as a host. Obviously I will not try it either as a guest.

• Rs
                      RSRB Jan 10, 2013

I, too, had lots of delays and poor communication with Airbnb. I did eventually rent through them, but the fee they charged was a surprise and the place itself was not up to the price charged.

Airbnb.comstay away from this one

Airbnb run a site which generates a friendly trusted atmosphere of cheerful host welcoming wholesome guests. It does this while having in place very few concrete safeguards for either host or guest.

Any host thinking of renting their home would, under normal circumstances, take all sorts of precautions. Airbnb encourages a more relaxed attitude and offers some liability cover to ease any doubts.

Any guest booking from some random stranger via email would be very wary of handing over money. On airbnb you can be lulled by the community atmosphere into being less careful.

What airbnb really need to do is tighten up their systems to ensure hosts know what they may be getting into, and to guide guests in way that makes it very difficult for the dodgy hosts and outright scammers to operate.

Since being scammed via a fraudulent listing on the site I've seen numerous reports and reviews from other guests and hosts with similar experiences. There are two common themes:

1. I thought I was safe - the whole airbnb experience encourages this feeling
                    2. Airbnb customer service don't care - maybe they do if it's a simple wrinkle to iron out but if you have real problems be prepared for overwhelming indifference

Personally I'm avoiding airbnb until I see evidence that they take more serious care how they vet hosts. If I were considering hosting I'd do some serious research on protecting my property and would probably go with a local property management company.

Unless the negative news starts to damage the brand, airbnb will simply continue to operate a site with the aura of a community while providing all the protection of a car boot sale.

Airbnb.comstay away from this site

Recent outage costs $ for Airbnb and hosts. Why does Airbnb use Amazon Cloud as it's only server, what happened, why was there a lack of communication from Airbnb? Do you know Airbnb uses First Call Resolution Call Center for it's customer service? Did you know Airbnb did not tell First Call why it was having issues therefore the agents could not confidently give the customers a time frame or tell customers a good reason for the outage other than there is system maintenance?

Airbnb.comI would not use airbnb again as my experience is that the pictures and reviews are not accurate, highly misleading

I just stayed at 2 airbnb places in France (my first airbnb experiences), and I have to say that the pictures are pretty misleading, not only about the size but about the newness/cleanliness of the places. One place we stayed in was tiny and pretty old (it had $#*!roaches, the toilet gurgled every 20 minutes and sounded like it was going to explode!, the bathroom smelled of something unidentifiable but definitely gross, and the water heater was over the kitchen sink and leaked constantly into the sink.). But the pictures taken by airbnb photographers made it look like a large and new/clean place. The reviews were numerous and all positive (which makes me feel like airbnb deletes negative reviews because this place was definitely more than disappointing. And then when we went to our second airbnb place in another city (already booked, or else we would not have used them again), many of the same things happened (place much smaller than in pictures, not new or clean like in pictures, many issues like no curtain on window, smelled like mildew, tiny, many things didn't work in the apt.) I would not use airbnb again as my experience is that the pictures and reviews are not accurate, highly misleading. Buyer beware!!!

Airbnb.combeware - what you see is not necessarily what you are going to get

We travelled to tel aviv with our two young children and have been thoroughly disappointed by the whole experience. The apartment we took in tel aviv was nothing like the pictures represented so we found the whole experience utterly misleading. Place was listed as 'designer', fully air conditioned, quiet street etc. Paint was peeling off the walls, wires exposed, unsealed flooring etc. There was no air conditioning in the bedrooms so we all suffered at night. Host offered extra fans but they're useless as they just circulate hot air. Airbnb response - host has dealt with it. We had an infestation of $#*!Roaches and slugs. Host offered to spray with insecticides but with what risk to us and the children? Host said it's safe and will only take a couple of hours but we didn't trust that information. Response from airbnb - host was willing to deal with it. Major construction was going on outside but the host failed to notify us. Response from airbnb - it's not going on inside the building so doesn't count. This was supposed to be a fab 2 week holiday but it has been utterly tainted by our accommodation. Beware - what you see is not necessarily what you are going to get. Will never use again.

• Pr
                              ProblemSolved23 Sep 26, 2013

• Ra
                              rain mon Dec 12, 2013

I have seen hotels and motels pull the same deal but it is sad that you had to go through that.

AirBNB — a platform for cheaters

Airbnb - a platform for cheaters I am duped both by airbnb & the host. Airbnb just won't intervene when the...

AirBNB — airbnb - the online platform for cheating host

Airbnb - the online platform for cheating host I am duped both by airbnb & the host. Airbnb just won't...

Airbnb.comwhat a pain in the neck

What a pain in the neck!!! Where to start. First let me say that my experience is that AirBnB takes NO responsibility for their errors. Then there's their claim of 24/7 customer service. It's easier to find president Obama's home number than to navigate through the BS AirBnB puts you through just so you can send them an email. Can't blame them for doing this: the site is complete crap half the time (the other half of the time I'm using different sites now) so they'd probably get tons of complaints and they probably want to avoid that.

The only solution I found was to call their emergency number, where I'm yet to speak with a rep who's fluent in English.

And the glitches with the site. O.M.G.!!! The pricing for my listing mysteriously lowered itself and of course AirBnB wouldn't take responsibility for that. All they had to do was waive my fee and/or the guests' fee but they couldn't even be apologetic about the situation let alone take responsibility for it. And today a guest who was going to book backed out. I thought it was strange then I saw that the site had put in a special offer to the guest of 5 TIMES my asking price per night!

And their fees. Yeah, you'd think you could get some sort of service because they take in a crapload of fees from guest AND host.

Super disappointed. Hopefully the other sites where I'm registering are less crappy.

• Si
                                silistupidme Aug 11, 2012

U r lucky compared to me. I am duped both by airbnb & the host. Airbnb just won't intervene when the host sneakily added a surcharge to my bill by calling it a discount and fees waived with a vague message and without my knowledge. All because airbnb payment system billed me in a different currency (euros) from the currency quoted (dollars) by the host thereby obscuring the total amount. When I discovered the discrepancy, airbnb said that it is my fault so long as i've paid up, even though I've all the evidences that the host has violated their transparency rule & even admitted to the 'erroneous' info on listing. Clearly, airbnb refuses to enforce their own 6-simple rules.
                                I'm trapped (with thousands of $ of cancellation) as airbnb will uphold nothing fair for the guest but uphold only the strict cancellation policy in favor of the host & themselves. Now, even after my acceding to the host's new price, airbnb still claim they're unable to contact the host to effect the changes. Come 1 day later from now, I'll b forced into the no-refund 0% timeline. I can't help but feel like a silly fool who has fallen onto a boobie-trap.
                                I've never had such a harrowing experience with other systems as airbnb - 2 weeks of constant daily emailing & follow-up, pushing both airbnb & host is exhausting. U R better off going on other matured booking systems.
                                I'm writing this so that others do not have to go through my nitemare. A nitemare for a holiday is something u dun wanna have - although i'm still hoping this nitemare will end soon. And I've too much screen dumps to load here. Just need a rest for now, for another day of battle with them.

Airbnb.combad website design

My first attempt at trying to reserve a villa for rent last year, resulted in having my credit card charged and then finding out that the host never agreed to my reservation, we finally (after 2 months) worked out the reservation to be placed and the villa was fantastic, along with the owner.

Now, I have 2 mis-reservations on their site. The first is a villa I thought I was inquiring about in Europe, turns out I booked it, and the host accepted it despite my sending an inquiry e-mail. I chalked it up to serendipity and since the hostest spoke another language, I was chagrinned to cancel. I have not yet travelled.

Now I have been WAITING for 2 days to hear back on an inquiry for next weekend at the same villa I booked checking and checking my inbox on airbnb, I saw no confirmation...so I went to their competition (which I highly recommend - vrbo.com, the reservation was easy and completed within an hour)...Today, after completing my booking on vrbo, I check my airbnb.com inbox to verify that I did indeed send an inquiry, there, right above my inquiry, in a little yellow box is a BIG green button that says ACCEPTED.

yeah, you just read the same thing I read...after stupidly sending an apologetic e-mail to the nice host, and a complaint to airbnb., airbnb customer service rep tells me the accepted is from my "PREVIOUS" reservation last year. ...really? thats your site's design?! No apologies, just a statement to why you have a confusing site.

With all the internet business and facebook postings, airbnb needs to put forth a little bit of design sense, yes your site is beautiful, but it also promotes alot of confusion and dissatisfied customers. You can do and you should in the internet age, fix these glitches! GO VRBO!

• Ro
                                  roma75 Aug 08, 2012

Hi i have a complaint also about airbnb company in italy, ..and even the customer service of it still didnt reply me, ..last week i rented an apartment in sicilia italy at palermo for going this weekend at the beginning than i paid all, ..but at the beginning of this week i changed the date once and i think i have rights for it than after i changed the date again by talking the owner of the apartment and we both were agreed however because of i changed it twice they charged me without letting me know, ..i was angry about it because how come they could withdraw money from my credit card without telling me, ..after that i couldnt trust more than last night i wanted to cancel my account not my BOOKING!!! and i cancelled my account and signed the option that i would be back soon but also i wrote them why, ..however in ten second i was replied by them with a cancellation of my booking and they told me they cut all the money which i paid 168euro and would deposit 56euro back, ..i was so so angry with them than i tried to contact with them, ..than i sent them 2 different e-mail even in italian and even in english however they just cancelled my booking and all and now i couldnt get do anything, ..because they didnt reply me and they didnt care it, ..i talked with the owner and i am lucky that he accepted however i lost my money, ..could someone please take care of that airbnb web site and help me about it ?!!! that web site is really awful and i really dont accept this !!!

• Si
                                  silistupidme Aug 12, 2012

@roma75, I also learnt the hard way except that I am stuck with thousand of euros. (See my complaint "online platform for cheating host"). Airbnb seems to have no other resolution for the guest except proposimg a cancellation - meaning u lose the 6-12% service fees too. Very expensive cancellation policy unlike most other sites with just a nominal fees. Also, the prices on screen are not fixed and not final, the host can change pricing without letting the guest know. I think u r lucky to meet an honest host in Italy, the system allows dishonest people to operate.

• Gb
                                  GBSpain Aug 31, 2016

Airbnb website is confusing and and not user friendly

Airbnb.com — do not deal with this sleazy company

They say that they will keep 50% of the entire amount you pay for a unit if cancelled within 1 week of that...

Airbnb.com — I was never aware that the site charges you a fee

Horror, I would not even start as to where they rate. Basement is a good start. I have been working on deal...